Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Countries closest to Libertarian / Austrian principles

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 845
whitespiral Posted: Fri, Jun 6 2008 4:26 PM

Are there any?

Switzerland maybe?

If not today, have there ever been any?

If there are or were some, what are/were the major defects you see? (either departures from liberal principles or weaknesses of their quasi-libertarian system)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 9,180

Here is the list of the Top 10 countries by Economic Freedom according to The Heritage Foundation:

http://www.heritage.org/research/features/index/topten.cfm

Switzerland is in there but not Number 1.

As for social freedom, I think Switzerland loses out (for reasons such as compulsory military service, having an ID card,etc).

I think that the freest countries today are the non- European OECD nations, but for a fine historical example you could look at the United States, just after its foundation by libertarian thinkers. Where it went wrong for them I don't know.

Austrians do it a priori

Irish Liberty Forum 

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Sat, Jun 7 2008 1:36 PM

MatthewWilliam:

Where it went wrong for them I don't know.

Oh, that's easy. They created a Federal government with the explicit power to tax and legislate.

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 845

That's a good list but it's not one whose criteria necessarily correspond with Austrian theory.

For example, is there, or has there ever been something closer to a liberalized banking system? More private or quasi-private judicial system? (arbitration, intermediation etc. perhaps?)

Less restrictive competition rules?

More private property rights?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 9,180

Countries without a fiat monetary system?

Austrians do it a priori

Irish Liberty Forum 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 260
Jackm replied on Sat, Feb 4 2012 6:17 AM

How about chile?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325

People of Zimbabwe and Somalia stopped using their legal tender money after things got wild and instead made their money transactions with US dollars. I think they still use dollars today.

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 60
Points 825

russel the first settlement  in new zealand had no government .it was mainly a whaling ship town supply post set up under the protection of a local tribe of Maori.mostly bars and brothels.the local Maori liked it as a  trading post the local maori did well  of it.farm steads were set up by whiteys under their protection.it was known as the hell hole of the pacific but i think that was more to the fact that whalers would spend all there money on piss and prostitutes.no wars conflict between  maori and settlers until 162 years ago tomorrow when we introduced  our worst import government suddenly settlers became seen more often as a threat not a opportunity. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS