Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Occupations least hindered by government goons(so far)

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 160
ChicagoIllinois Posted: Sun, Jun 8 2008 6:03 PM

I am trying to compile a list of jobs that require the least amount of certifications for you to get employment. For example, to become a CPA in the state of Illinois one is mandated to earn 150 hours of college credit and pass a series of exams. An even worse fate awaits doctors and lawyers.

At the other end of the spectrum, Computer Programmers live almost completely uninhibited.

Could someone give me ideas of a few occupations beyond compter programming?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 265
Points 4,685

As a waiter, I make about $80k per year on a 37-hour week (I could make more but I don't like working all the time), the government can't garnish my pay, some of my tips go unreported, and I have the freedom to walk away from any employer and have a job the next day.  The work is fun and helps keep me in shape.  It's much more satisfying than my years as a management and strategy consultant for a big global firm -- I'm not built to let my health waste away doing corporate drone work in an office all day.  Plus the money isn't that great compared to waiting tables, especially considering the 65-hour workweeks.

Though this is in NYC, mind you... foodie capitol of the U.S...  You can't make that much in most places.

"He that struggles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper." Edmund Burke

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 515
Points 8,495
fsk replied on Mon, Jun 9 2008 8:40 AM

I currently work as a Computer Programmer. There's no way computer programmers as an industry would agree to unionization or regulation. The top programmers are 10x-100x as efficient as average. There's no incentive for them to unionize.

One occupation that's interesting me is independent filmmaker, blogger, or journalist. If I start my own software company, the barriers to entry are surprisingly high. If I want to start an independent filmmaker business, all I need is a camera and an Internet connection to get started. I can spend 5-10 hours/week in my spare time, as I build an audience.

I have my own blog at FSK's Guide to Reality. Let me know if you like it.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS