Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Censor the Internet

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy Posted: Wed, Nov 16 2011 10:33 PM

Sensor the Internet 

"The Protect IP Act" is going through and being discussed in congress right now. This bill is exceedingly strict and could threaten the existence of youtube and anything that has any sort of copyrighted content on it. 

I don't care where you stand on the intellectual property rights issue, no one in their right mind wants the government anywhere near the internet for just about any reason.

4chan is in uproar over this, people are afraid that the motherchan itself could be taken down. This thing is being reviewed in congress as we speak. Spread the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protect_IP_Act

http://americancensorship.org/

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 11:12 PM

It's censor with a c (easy mistake to make).

I say bring it on. All these draconian proposals are technologically infeasible to the point of being laughable. In the short run, it can have a chilling effect but it cannot even slow down the inevitable death of intellectual property as we know it. Those betting on the MPAA/RIAA are betting on a horse that's been run out.

They're trying to take over everything... that's what this HDMI crap is about... they're forcing all computer monitors onto the same high-definition standard as Blu-ray in the hopes that they can "encapsulate" the entire world of digital media but what they don't understand is that media that is delivered by computing systems co-exists with software and while software can be controlled on any given platform, it can't be controlled in general. Software transcends platforms. That's why you can emulate Linux on Windows or Windows on Linux, or an iPhone OS on a PC development system.

Steve Jobs understood this. He knew that the recording companies would never go along with the iPod idea unless it had DRM protections on it so that's the only reason they put DRM on the iPod. But at the same time, Jobs explicitly said that he thought it wouldn't make any difference in the long run. When you can rip a CD and file share it across peer-to-peer networks, what the hell difference does it make if the iTunes audio files are DRM protected?? iTunes has been plenty profitable but, in the long run, this is not the answer. The only real answer is the end of IP-by-legislative-fiat-and-FBI-enforcement. The market will just have to step in and innovate new content delivery methods that are profitable enough to enable content producers to produce content that consumers demand and affordable enough that consumers will pay for them rather than go to all the bother of trying to circumvent them.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 11:17 PM

"It's censor with a c (easy mistake to make)."

Will a mod please rectify my fail?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 12:12 AM

I figures you were just using poetic license - sensor like big brother is watching you ... lol

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,310
Heather replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 12:25 AM

Neodoxy:

"It's censor with a c (easy mistake to make)."

Will a mod please rectify my fail?

Thats funny:)

No worries, you can fix it yourself. I only know this because i totally misspelled my first posts title. I can't remember exactly how I fixed it, but i'm sure if you click around for a little bit you can figure it out too.

Neodoxy:
Spread the word.

Will do

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

So surely you're aware of this by now, but it just dawned on me there wasn't a thread about it yet. (okay, so I had looked, but didn't notice this thread.  This can be merged.)

Get a load of some of the backlash...

AmericanCensorship.org

And share the crap out of this:

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110

I dont know what intellectul rights could someone buy on 'Charlie bit my finger' or 'Cat playing piano' or 'Kid after dentist session'. Thesre some normal days things which frankly arent worthy of intellectual rights. Censor instead of Sensor could be somethingt the White House should bother about, Sexually explicit and Vulgar content is so easily accessable to any kid in this age of the internet. IP spoofing is still on the grey area.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

leemadison11:
Censor instead of Sensor could be somethingt the White House should bother about, Sexually explicit and Vulgar content is so easily accessable to any kid in this age of the internet. IP spoofing is still on the grey area.

Oh I see.  So we want the government to have this power, but we just want to make sure it's used only for the "bad stuff".  Got it.  Great plan.

...things which frankly arent worthy of intellectual rights.

Well this oughtta be good...And how exactly do you determine what is "worthy"?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Now you can sign a petition...and ask a Senator to read you name off during the filibuster...

StopCensorship.org

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS