Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Jeffrey Tucker no longer with the Mises Institute

This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Fri, Dec 2 2011 6:51 AM

I'm kind of disappointed there wasn't any informing about this.  It would have been nice for Tucker to at least make a quick post on the blog with the standard "I'm moving on to xyz.  I had a great time here, thanks to everyone and all the support, etc. etc."  But then again, it's possible they didn't part on the best of terms.  I mean, I wouldn't think so, as Tucker has been around since the 80s, and he was the most pro-LvMI person ever...basically Mr. Mises Insitute.  But then again it wouldn't be the first time for bridges being burned around here.  But it's definitely official...he is no longer listed in the staff on the faculty page, and his author bio has been changed to reflect it.  (Hell, even his wikipedia page is current with this.)  And I think the fact that his Mises Wiki page has yet to be updated says a lot about how silently he disappeared...at least from an outsider's perspective.

I only found out because someone asked about it in the comments on a random post on the blog (actually more than one).  (Apparently legal scholar Skip Oliva is gone too.)  Evidently Tucker's now working at WhiskeyandGunpowder.com.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

• | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 350
Dave replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 8:06 AM

You are the first to bring this to my attention. Maybe it has something to do with him moving to become the president of Laissez-faire books (according to his Facebook Page.

I also saw a news story about it. "Jeffrey Tucker Joins Agora Financial, to Relaunch Laissez Faire Books."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645

Does this mean that a buddy of mine can be unbanned from the Mises youtube channel now? Tucker banned him after getting his panties all in a bunch.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 8:13 AM

No info but it seems after viewing whiskey's home page, that he might own it now? I used to check out whiskey and gunpowder years ago when it was a simple site and fun read but it now has an entirely new look and Mr. Tucker's name everywhere. I'll miss him here but will probably be drinking more whiskey again.

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 430
Points 8,145

Is it weird that I was thinking just a few days ago about how long he's been with the Mises Institute, and how much longer he was going to be around?

Bizarre. It's also very unfortunate that we weren't told, considering how much work he's put in.

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Dave:
You are the first to bring this to my attention. Maybe it has something to do with him moving to become the president of Laissez-faire books (according to his Facebook Page.)

That would be my thought/hope.  His w&g bio labels him as "publisher and excecutive editor" of Laissez-Faire Books...so it's entirely possible a position like that would require more time than he would have, if combined with his normal Mises duties.  And he did speak a few times about all the experience in book publishing he gained through basically turning the Institute into a publishing house (or at least adding that to its resume).  I can imagine he figured he could do a lot to help Laissez-Faire, and that LvMI would be just fine.  (It is on a considerable upswing.)  One might say there's never been a better time for such an integral team member to bid farewell.

bbnet:
No info but it seems after viewing whiskey's home page, that he might own it now? I used to check out whiskey and gunpowder years ago when it was a simple site and fun read but it now has an entirely new look and Mr. Tucker's name everywhere.

I'm not quite sure on that.  I had never heard of the site before and I'm not sure in what capacity it is related to Laissez-Faire Books (there is a direct link to that website in W&G's main banner.)  So it's possible if W&G is a subsidiary or an offshoot of Laissez-Faire, that Tucker now holding a high position there would translate to a high position at the website...but then again, his name is everywhere simply because he's written a bunch of articles recently and they show up on the front page like a blog.  One Gary Gibson is listed as head editor, and there is a pretty extensive list of authors...however it's in alphabetical order, and I haven't yet bothered to read through and find out who holds what positions.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Points 5,555

Very sad. I hope he does well at what ever he's up to next.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 11:12 AM

If that is correct who replaces him as Mises Daily editor?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

That is so lame. Do you imagine he will still be involved with the Mises Institute in terms of writing articles/ speaking at conferences?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Marko:
If that is correct who replaces him as Mises Daily editor?

My guess would be French right now.  There's no one listed on the faculty page with the title that he vacated.  So even if they plan to replace him with someone new, they haven't done it yet.

NonAntiAnarchist:
That is so lame. Do you imagine he will still be involved with the Mises Institute in terms of writing articles/ speaking at conferences?

I would guess so, albeit maybe in a reduced capacity.  Although again that depends on the terms of his departure.  You have as much info as I do.  I started this thread (a) to inform others (since no one else has) and (b) to try to get more info.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 3,195

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've been to a handful of LvMI events over the past few years and Mr. Tucker was always by far the warmest and most approachable person there.  I wish him the best in his new endeavors, but I do wish there had been some sort of public recognition of all his invested time and energy over the years, either by him or on his behalf by the Institute. Even if he left on less than perfect terms, it seems like the only decent thing.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 12:02 PM

I was listening to one of his discussions on technology and social change couple days ago oddly enough.

To get to the important matters, Tucker moves to Laissez Faire Books, first thing that comes to mind?  LFB and the LvMI seemed to have some friction on the reproduction of some out of print books, of which LFB had the "rights" to, and LFB did not have the intention of reprinting them.*  What I see?  You have a very anti-IP guy going into a publishing company that might have some "rights" to a good amount of material.  This is a very, very interesting move on Tucker.  I'd expect to see some very hard to get material coming out in the next year or two.

*Off the top of my head, I don't remember specifics, but I think it was from Tucker that I read it on a Mises post.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Stephen Adkins:
I'm really sorry to hear this. I've been to a handful of LvMI events over the past few years and Mr. Tucker was always by far the warmest and most approachable person there.  I wish him the best in his new endeavors, but I do wish there had been some sort of public recognition of all his invested time and energy over the years, either by him or on his behalf by the Institute. Even if he left on less than perfect terms, it seems like the only decent thing.

Basically my sentiments exactly.

Bert:
To get to the important matters, Tucker moves to Laissez Faire Books, first thing that comes to mind?  LFB and the LvMI seemed to have some friction on the reproduction of some out of print books, of which LFB had the "rights" to, and LFB did not have the intention of reprinting them.*  What I see?  You have a very anti-IP guy going into a publishing company that might have some "rights" to a good amount of material.  This is a very, very interesting move on Tucker.  I'd expect to see some very hard to get material coming out in the next year or two.

Also my sentiments.

That copyright hoopla was actually the only reason I had ever heard of Laissez Faire Books.  I know The Market for Liberty was one such title.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 12:29 PM

Laissez Faire Books has been bought up by another company, and they are intending to modernize it (new website, e-books). 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 12:30 PM

I have The Discovery of Freedom by Rose Wilder Lane that's from LFB (I don't suggest it to anyone, I gave up not far in the book...sort of sucks, but was Rothbard recommended).

This news is a bit exciting though, I can't wait to see what LFB is going to put out now.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 112
Points 2,025
Anton replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 2:02 PM

I will miss Jeffrey Tucker's interviews "In studio".

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 2:58 PM

Thanks so much everyone for the nice things you are saying. I had the impression that a big announcement would be a bit maudlin and pointlessly personal etc. so I decided against it. I'm still around - in the digital age everyone is around everywhere and no one really ever goes away from anything - I'm just taking on new challenges and things. You can always write me at tucker@lfb.org.

Thanks again for all the very kind comments.

Just got back taping for an appearance on The Judge, which should air tonight.

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Nice to know you'll still be lurking, Jeffrey.  It wouldn't be the same without you.  For me, you're synonymous with the LvMI.

So was Bert right?  Does this mean you'll be able to bust some IP chains and free up more content?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 3:22 PM

oh sure! I mean, LFB will be the first commercial publisher to be wholly dedicated to free market methods. Ok, I do not know that for sure - about being the first. But so far as I know it will be the first big name publisher. I want to prove that the market can be profitable without state monopoly grants of privilege. Everyone at the parent company is behind this idea. We will take a while to get going here but when it happens, it will be amazing.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

jtucker:
Everyone at the parent company is behind this idea.

Holy crap.  I can see why you didn't pass up this opportunity.  This should be awesome.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370

Wow, this is awesome. Just in case you're reading Jeff, I'd like to take the opportunity to congratulate you on the move, and second my appreciation for everything you've been doing at the Mises Institute, you've manifested in my eyes what this place is all about and why I think it is so awesome. I guess now I'll face a dilemma, of who I would pick as top choices to publish any book I write! Also, who will be handling Mises daily submissions from now on; BK Marcus?

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

Good luck, Jeff. You're the man.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 4:27 PM

Anton:

I will miss Jeffrey Tucker's interviews "In studio".

Holy crap batman. Indeed, who will do interviews now? They were fantastic!

Congratulations Jeff. Glad to see you spreading liberty through free market :)

"Your freedom ends where my feelings begin" -- ???
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 4:54 PM

Well, congrats!  Is there anything we can expect to see published that's currrently hard to find or out of print?  Maybe some stuff by Benjamin Tucker and Josiah Warren?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 4:59 PM

Yes, those are on the list. Once we get going, we'll work up to more publications that you will believe. There really is no limit.

But first, we need time to get all the web connections right for the opening of the site. By summer and fall, things will be in full gear.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 5:04 PM

This is too exciting.  Probably the best news I've heard all season.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 2:53 AM

Nice to know you'll still be lurking, Jeffrey.

With admin privileges no less.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 433
Points 6,720

Now that's some news that flew by undetected. Too bad for the place you've left; wish you the best in your new position!

Wiki page updated.

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS