Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What is the best book written on the current financial crisis and its origins?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 14
Points 400
a.began Posted: Tue, Dec 6 2011 5:18 PM

Is Meltdown by Tom Woods any good? Are there any other ones worth reading?

Disclaimer: I'm not an economist.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

It's wonderful as an intro, yes. I find the beginning a bit too "popular" for me (as in it sounds like what a mainstream person would say "right wing nutjob"), but when he gets to discussing ABCT it's good :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yes, Meltdown is excellent.  Others would be...

Financial Fiasco by Johan Norberg  (and the film based on it)
Crash Proof 2.0 by Peter Schiff

In fact, David Gorden actually gave a lecture titled "Five Best Books on the Current Crisis" at a Mises Circle in 2009. (It's also here.  I don't think there is any difference between those two links though. For easy download, see the resources page.

I also posted a rundown of things here.

"The Bailout Reader" offers a nice collection of sources
"Austrian Predictions" offers a collection of writings about busts before they occurred.

For specifics on booms and busts, see here.  The comments at that link include other recommendations.

Definitely be on the lookout for The Panic of 2008 film.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Wed, Dec 7 2011 5:48 AM

From a different perspective (From Hedge Fund managers) it is told in The Big Short.

It's a great read, and contains some nice facts. Though this is not from an Austrian perspective or any other economic school. Yet I think the things it told me confirmed my views in economics. Though of course this might be pure bias, I only want to say that it makes perfect sense from a libertarian view point and I am aware that a Keynesian might argue the same..

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS