Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How do people become anarchists?

This post has 62 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

Holy cow, homie. Everytime it's like I'm trying to intimidate you or something. I'm just saying that you seem very oddly aggressive over a post that no one seems to have noticed. I'm not trying to do anything else. So there was a silly post. Why are you upset about it?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Birthday Pony:
Holy cow, homie.

... Nope, I'm still not backing down.

Birthday Pony:
Everytime it's like I'm trying to intimidate you or something.

Yeah, and?

Birthday Pony:
I'm just saying that you seem very oddly aggressive over a post that no one seems to have noticed.

Maybe I noticed it before anyone else did. Maybe no one else wanted to be confrontational for some odd reason. I, for one, don't think I'm being "very oddly aggressive" or in any way aggressive here. Confrontational, absolutely - but not aggressive.

Birthday Pony:
I'm not trying to do anything else.

Why should I trust you here?

Birthday Pony:
So there was a silly post. Why are you upset about it?

Because I don't think it belongs here. Isn't that obvious?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Well I'm bowing out of this thread now as it's getting rather unhealthy. You won't pay any attention to this Auto, but you might need to seek help with that paranoia if it is genuine.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Consumariat:
Well I'm bowing out of this thread now as it's getting rather unhealthy. You won't pay any attention to this Auto, but you might need to seek help with that paranoia if it is genuine.

Good riddance. Cry me a river.

Edit: You still haven't answered my questions, though. Maybe I should hound you everywhere you post until you do?

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

"Nope, I'm still not backing down."

...okay.

"Maybe I noticed it before anyone else did. Maybe no one else wanted to be confrontational for some odd reason. I, for one, don't think I'm being "very oddly aggressive" or in any way aggressive here. Confrontational, absolutely - but not aggressive."

I don't care what you call it, you're making a huge deal out of someone making a joke. On the internet.

"Why should I trust you here?"

You don't have to. Rage away. I saw some other threads where people made jokes and I'll let you deal with those ones too.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Birthday Pony:
...okay.

That's right. Now what? I'm still here.

Birthday Pony:
I don't care what you call it, you're making a huge deal out of someone making a joke. On the internet.

And your point is? I'm not ashamed of my behavior in the slightest, and you can't make me think otherwise.

Birthday Pony:
You don't have to. Rage away. I saw some other threads where people made jokes and I'll let you deal with those ones too.

I don't need your permission. You already know that. So what's your real point here?

Now you asked me why I was upset about Consumariat's initial post and I answered you. But it seems you're ignoring my answer. Why is that?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

"Now you asked me why I was upset about Consumariat's initial post and I answered you. But it seems you're ignoring my answer. Why is that?"

Oh because I just don't care enough. Call me intellectually dishonest or say I was trying to intimidate you out of the thread or whatever. You don't think joking belongs here, so you harass consumariat until they leave a thread they weren't actively posting in anyway, and then threaten to harass them on other threads until they answer you. And I'm the one trying to intimidate you out of the conversation? 

"That's right. Now what? I'm still here."

Yes. Yes you are. Enjoy.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 6:00 PM

So.... How do you guys think people become anarchists?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

Different paths leading to the same place. Some people are born hating authority, some people learn it, some people live it. And its rarely one thing that does the trick.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Q:  Where do you find a dog with no legs?

A: Right where you left him!

Either way, I recommend just getting out the pop corn, sitting back,and watch the fireworks

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Seems that most of the people I come across who actually end up taking sociology classes in college turn out to be leftists of some sort.

I meant sociology in the broadest sense possible.  I consider most "sociology" in academia to be a back door by leftists to create an echo chamber.

But in the end I meant the social sciences in general (and I consider econ to be the king of the social sciences) - but beng technical I would call this look a sociological look, not a socail science look. 

Other than that - even when looking at "the way things work" - there isn't much wrong with being a Hobbes, Bismark, Machiavelli, primitivist, Rousseau, Baunin, etc - they "got it", I just don't find it ultimately a tenable if peope figure out the picture en masse.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

Birthday Pony:
Oh because I just don't care enough. Call me intellectually dishonest or say I was trying to intimidate you out of the thread or whatever. You don't think joking belongs here, so you harass consumariat until they leave a thread they weren't actively posting in anyway, and then threaten to harass them on other threads until they answer you. And I'm the one trying to intimidate you out of the conversation?

Why else would you get involved? As I see it, I was defending myself against both you and Consumariat. I took the latter to task over his non-serious post, and certainly felt justified in doing so. Call it "harrassing" all you want. I couldn't care less. Get it?

Birthday Pony:
Yes. Yes you are. Enjoy.

So you finally understand that you can't make me shut up or leave? That might be too much to ask for on my part.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590

vive la insurrection:
Q:  Where do you find a dog with no legs?

A: Right where you left him!

Either way, I recommend just getting out the pop corn, sitting back,and watch the fireworks

Please do tell me just what in the world this is supposed to mean.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 4:41 AM

So.... How do you guys think people become anarchists?

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,945
Points 36,550

Autolykos, you're being a weenie again.

"What Stirner says is a word, a thought, a concept; what he means is no word, no thought, no concept. What he says is not what is meant, and what he means is unsayable." - Max Stirner, Stirner's Critics
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 1:15 PM

@James

Huh?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 1:20 PM

Jackson LaRose:
Autolykos, you're being a weenie again.

Am I supposed to care about what you think I'm being?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

Enough bickering, Libertarians. We have the globe to save.

yes

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 1:26 PM

It's from the Lord of the Flies.  The kids were all running in terror from a "beast" hidden somewhere on the island.  Simon hallucinates the pig's head telling him that "the beast" is really inside people. Then he finds what the kids thought was the beast, and realises it's just a dead body.  Then they kill him for trying to tell them the truth, because the myth has come to support the established power structure, and is a means to control the masses.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 256
Points 5,630

In response to the OP:  As some have mentioned, we have become accustomed to the presence of the state for many millenias. Most never really ask questions about it's existence since we have become so accustomed to it. At this point, the state is like a "given". To many (few of whom think deeply) life without government would seem absurd.

I consider myself open-minded. I used to lean leftward. But the more I read about free markets and libertarianism, the more that ideology made sense. I think for others, a life changing event helps transforms them. I visited parts of Kurdistan. Even before Sadaam's genocidal campaign, the Kurds were a very independent group of people who wanted to live without government interference. I'm quite certain more than a few of them were outright skeptical of government after the horrific events.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

I'm a quiet but fierce idelogue when it comes to the idea of voluntary transaction. My particular journey was hazy and short as I did not need a lot of convincing--the first step likely held the necessity of a state but that the size should be trimmed (to what extent was not known to me at the time). This was only a stepping stone on realizing the scope on which a moral standing of completely voluntary interaction implied.

I think there is an important clarification here:

MaikU:
What I think is that one of the most important things is questioning and understanding authority, meaning, which authority is "good" (voluntary, like in medical practice, for example) and which is bad (imposed by force).

Authority is not antethetical to anarchism--there are indeed many situations where it is respected and should be considered (though not used as an excuse for coercion). A stupidly simple example would be building your next computer--whom do you more likely trust for your decisions: the manufacturer, or a third party (e.g. anandtech) who has tested more options than would be feasible for you? What is a better illustration of division of labor than trusting those who are best at a given task?

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,005
Points 19,030
fakename replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 6:50 PM

Reply to the OP: Most people think they know, while others know that they don't know. When applied to the workings of government, the latter become capable of understanding the possibility (if not the desireability) of natural elites and natural order, while the former are not so much wandering in ignorance but comfortable in false certainty and assurance.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 2,100
MadMiser replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 4:18 AM

Misean utilitarianism, as per Human Action: a large State makes everybody poorer in the long term. And, as per Hoppe and history, a small state will inevitably become a large state. Hence the only acceptable option, is no State.

Page 2 of 2 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS