Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Low Content Quote Thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 153 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

Without healthcare, the vast majority of people will not die for years. Without food, everyone will die within weeks. Hence, food is a far more urgent need than healthcare. Ergo, if healthcare is a basic human right by virtue of its criticality to human survival, food is much more so. Therefore, the Communists were right (by your logic) and we do need food production to be run by the government since food is far too important to be left to the greedy private sector. Clayton -
(ur intellectual property r mine)

"We owe the origin and development of human society and, consequently, of culture and civilization, to the fact that work performed under the division of labor is more productive than when performed in isolation-- MISES

Now you depart in innocence, a sufferer and not a doer of evil; a victim, not of the laws, but of men. But if you go forth, returning evil for evil, and injury for injury, breaking the covenants and agreements which you have made with us, and wronging those whom you ought least to wrong, that is to say, yourself, your friends, your country, and us, we shall be angry with you while you live, and our brethren, the laws in the world below, will receive you as an enemy; for they will know that you have done your best to destroy us. – Socrates

At bottom, liberalism treats the body while corrupting the soul. At its best, liberalism inspires a dedication to the liberty and rights of mankind that brings citizens to rise above themselves in the spirit of patriotism and philanthropy. –Nathanial Niles.

We cannot doubt that self-interest is the mainspring of human nature. It must be clearly understood that this word is used here to designate a universal, incontestable fact, resulting from the nature of man, and not an adverse judgment, as would be the word selfishness. – Bastiat

All this talk: the state should do this or that, ultimately means: the police should force consumers to behave otherwise than they would behave spontaneously. Mises

"We do not know what God is. God himself doesn't know what He is because He is not anything. Literally God is not, because He transcends being."  -Emerson

"Nerds who get wedgies all day at school don't dream of equality -- they dream of being the one doing the beating and humiliating" -David Wong

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:10 PM

This struck a chord with me, something I think that a lot of libertarians fighting the good fight should consider something in a while:

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think. – Chinese proverb

Just consider that for a few seconds. It makes the words Adam Kokesh spoke yesterday at LibertyFest to a guy who asked him a question just the more relevant:

I think it's one of the most important things Ron Paul has ever said. If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:22 PM

If you feel driven to feed the poor, get your checkbook out and keep your tyrannical mouth shut about it. – Lew Goldberg

If only I got to say this to Warren Buffett.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Who is Lew Goldberg, anyway?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:36 PM

Epic:

Suppose the Second amendment said "A well-educated electorate being necessary for self-governance in a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed." Is there anyone who would suggest that means only registered voters have a right to read? – Robert Levy

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:36 PM

I have no idea.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:42 PM

Also relevant:

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead. – Anonymous

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 5:13 PM

The politicians' three R's: this is Ours, that is Ours, everything is Ours. – Anonymous 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 10:45 AM

If I accuse an innocent man of a monstrous crime, if I tell a virtuous man that he has coveted his own sister, he will reply that this is absurd. His indignation has its comical aspect. But it also has its fundamental reason. The virtuous man illustrates by that reply the definitive antinomy existing between the deed I am attributing to him and his lifelong principles. "It's absurd" means "It's impossible" but also "It's contradictory." If I see a man armed only with a sword attack a group of machine guns, I shall consider his act to be absurd. But it is so solely by virtue of the disproportion between his intention and the reality he will encounter, of the contradiction I notice between his true strength and the aim he has in view. Likewise we shall deem a verdict absurd when we contrast it with the verdict the facts apparently dictated. And, similarly, a demonstration by the absurd is achieved by comparing the consequences of such a reasoning with the logical reality one wants to set up. In all these cases, from the simplest to the most complex, the magnitude of the absurdity will be in direct ratio to the distance between the two terms of my comparison. There are absurd marriages, challenges, rancors, silences, wars, and even peace treaties. For each of them the absurdity springs from a comparison. I am thus justified in saying that the feeling of absurdity does not spring from the mere scrutiny of a fact or an impression, but that it bursts from the comparison between a bare fact and a certain reality, between an action and the world that transcends it. The absurd is essentially a divorce. It lies in neither of the elements compared; it is born of their confrontation.

- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 10:56 AM

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
-Dr. Demento

Nothing to do with AnCap, but just thought I'd share.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

My economics teacher response on my answer on a quiz:

"I don't want to hear anymore of your theories.  I am asking questions that require my short, to-the-point answer.  Perhaps you should consider dropping this course since it doesn't seem to meet your needs."

the question he asked - what gives money it's value in today's economy? 

Eat the apple, fuck the Corps. I don't work for you no more!
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 4:08 PM

What did you say? Monetary regression theory?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Pretty much, id have to reread it as i did it a couple months ago.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 4:18 PM

I'm guessing he wanted "the goods you can purchace with it?"

What level was it?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

no its what he wanted. well kind of.  He just didnt like me implying that the dollar wouldnt have its value without legal tender laws.  he didnt want any history of the dollar.  I made a reference that americans accepted it because it was backed by gold.  and through decades of manipulation of laws that the nixon shock was able to happen.  He thinks that the history of the dollar is irrelevant to any of its value today.  he seems to think that people love the dollar and are pretty much begging for the dollar because the United States always pays its debts.  The us is so fiscally conservative that its the safest means for stability.  All of which i mentioned in my answer as part of the answer.

its a senior level class

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 7:52 PM

Translation:

"I am incapable of responding to your questions. Stop making me question my self-worth as an educator."

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 496
Points 8,945

Just read civil disobedience again and I find this quote interesting ---“Christ answered the Herodians according to their condition. "Show me the tribute-money," said he – and one took a penny out of his pocket – if you use money which has the image of Caesar on it, and which he has made current and valuable, that is, if you are men of the State, and gladly enjoy the advantages of Caesar's government, then pay him back some of his own when he demands it. "Render therefore to Caesar that which is Caesar's and to God those things which are God's" – leaving them no wiser than before as to which was which; for they did not wish to know.”

Excerpt From: Henry David Thoreau. “Civil Disobedience and other Essays.” iBooks. 
This material may be protected by copyright.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:20 PM

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

- Michael Jordan

That quote made the hair on my arms stand up. Jordan is a god among men.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 9:33 PM
"Perhaps you should consider dropping this course since it doesn't seem to meet your needs."

now that sounds like the worst kind of teacher.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 10:08 AM

Nah, that's sort of what teachers are there to help you do - figure out what you're looking for and whether you're a good fit (as wel as teach you).

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 1:25 PM

Posted from the Joseph Campbell Foundation FB.

When we consider, however, instead of the physical, the psychological character of our species, the most evident distinguishing sign is man’s organization of his life according primarily to mythic, and only secondarily economic, aims and laws. Food and drink, reproduction and nest-building, it is true, play formidable roles in the lives no less of men than of chimpanzees. But what of the economics of the Pyramids, the cathedrals of the Middle Ages, Hindus starving to death with edible cattle strolling all around them, or the history of Israel, from the time of Saul to right now? If a differentiating feature is to be named, separating human from animal psychology, it is surely this of the subordination in the human sphere of even economics to mythology. And if one should ask why or how any such unsubstantial impulsion ever should have become dominant in the ordering of physical life, the answer is that, in this wonderful human brain of ours there has dawned a realization unknown to the other primates. It is that of the individual, conscious of himself as such, and aware that he, and all that he cares for, will one day die.

- Joseph Campbell, Myths to Live By
I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 239
Points 5,820

Someone just posted this on another thread but I thought it also needed to go here

I love when one of the council members says "If you sign is in line with regulations, it shouldn't take more than 4-5 days to get approved. If its out of regulation, you know if it has more than 3 colors, then..."

Drew: "wait...why is a sign out of regulations if it has more than three colors?"

Council member: "Because that is the rule."

Drew: "Get rid of it."

lol, "look drew its a rule because its a rule, it just is!"

"If men are not angels, then who shall run the state?" 

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 1,450

Read this in a YouTube comment, so funny.

Rene Descartes walks into a bar, sits down, and orders a beer. When he's drained it, bartender asks him, "Would you like another one, sir?" Descartes replies, "I think not." Then he promptly disappears. :-)

It is not left versus right, it is social engineering versus spontaneous order.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 11:29 PM

"I think you get more prestige by doing good science than by doing popular science because if you go with what you really think is important then there's a higher chance that it really is important in the long run and it's the long run which has the most benefit to the world."

- Donald Knuth (interview here)

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Rene Descartes walks into a bar, sits down, and orders a beer. When he's drained it, bartender asks him, "Would you like another one, sir?" Descartes replies, "I think not." Then he promptly disappears.

Negating the antecedent? Funny, indeed ;)

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 4:51 PM

Working on a V.R. article based on one of Jung's books.  Thought I'd share this:

The infantile dream-state of the mass man is so unrealistic that he never thinks to ask who is paying for this paradise. The balancing of accounts is left to a higher political or social authority, which welcomes the task, for its power is thereby increased; and the more power it has, the weaker and more helpless the individual becomes.

- Jung, The Undiscovered Self

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875
Physiocrat replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 10:57 AM

Racism Hysteria Hits New Heights.

Just read the warning on the top of this articel and the content therein.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20365922

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 11:05 PM
2pac:
And still I see no changes can't a bother get a little peace

There's war in the streets and war in the middle east

Instead of war on poverty they got a war on drugs

so the police can bother me

And I ain't never did a crime I ain't have to do

But now I'm back with the facts givin' em back to you

Don't let 'em jack you up, back you up,

crack you up and pimps Smack you up

You gotta learn to hold ya own

they get jealous when they see ya with ya mobile phone

But tell the cops they can't touch this

I don't trust this when they try to rush I bust this

That's the sound of my tool you say it ain't cool

my mama didn't raise no fool

And as long as I stay black I gotta stay strapped

I never get to lay back

'Cause I always got to worry 'bout the pay backs

some buck that I roughed up way back

comin' back after all these years

Rat atat tat tat thats the way it is

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:44 PM

^ excellent choice

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

- Jung, The Undiscovered Self

Jung strikes again! Very wise man.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 660
Elric replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 12:41 AM

You can overcome a drug addiction, you can't overcome a drug conviction.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 9:41 PM

crazy earl:
This is my bro...this is his party. He's the guest of honor. Today is his birthday. I will never forget this day. The day I came to Hue City and fought one million NVA gooks. I love the little commie bastards, I really do. These enemy grunts are as hard as slant eyed drill instructors. These are great days  we're living, bros! We are jolly green giants, walking the earth, with guns! These people we wasted here today are the finest human beings we will ever know. After we rotate back to the world we're gonna miss not having anyone around thats worth shooting!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 372
Points 8,230

You either accept that you were born in group x, that group x comes with these advantages/disadvantages at this position in time, or you spend your life trying to ignore this in order to passively or actively dismantle the inherent value of something you were never asked to participate in (life).

- Bulbasaur

"Nutty as squirrel shit."
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 5:18 PM

Since the Renaissance there's been a tendency to work more and more passionately for the coming of the kingdom of the sciences and the social robot.

- Louis-Ferdinand Celine

Page 4 of 4 (154 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS