Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Collection of Myths and Fallacies of Laissez-Faire Capitalism

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 310
Peter Simon Christensen Posted: Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:39 PM

Hello everyone,

I was hoping for you to contribute with every fallacy and myth that you know of as to laissez-faire capitalism. And after this, I was hoping that you could provide a refutation of this fallacy/myth; either via books, essays, videos, podcasts, etc.

It would be valuable to all; not only me.

I feel as if I have been scouting the whole Internet. If a thread or page of these already exists, please feel free to post the link and end this thread.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:49 PM

Well, given that this whole forum is devoted to just that... I think your best option is to simply stick around long enough and check out new threads. I am planning on doing something of an Austrian/AnCap FAQ sometime in the future...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:51 PM

Some great short videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnLiberty (price controls, "we are running out of resources," Broken Window Fallacy, "the poor are getting poorer," etc.)

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,552
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:55 PM

Keep in mind also that praxeology is basically one big system of myth-busting by forcing people to keep their eye on the ball (the acting agent). Each chapter in Economics in One Lesson (PDF link) is also a myth exploding exercise:

• The Broken Window
  • The Blessings of Destruction
  • Public Works Mean Taxes
  • Taxes Discourage Production
  • Credit Diverts Production
  • The Curse of Machinery
  • Spread-the-Work Schemes
  • Disbanding Troops and Bureaucrats
  • The Fetish of Full Employment
  • Who's "Protected" by Tariffs?
  • The Drive for Exports
  • "Parity" Prices
  • Saving the X Industry
  • How the Price System Works
  • "Stabilizing" Commodities
  • Government Price-Fixing
  • What Rent Control Does
  • Minimum Wage Laws
  • Do Unions Really Raise Wages?
  • "Enough to Buy Back the Product"
  • The Function of Profits
  • The Mirage of Inflation
  • The Assault on Savings
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

There's quite a bit at the Mises Wiki in the form of "argumentation" pages for specific subjects.  Those listed might help, but you also might consider starting a new one yourself!

http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Category:Argumentation

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 3:35 PM

Thomas Sowell: Economic Facts and Fallacies

Here's a list of falsities and fallacies I recently made in another thread:

• The free market tends to monopolies
  • The free market always favors "economy of scale", that is, bigger is always cheaper and more economical than smaller
  • Larger capital value enables a larger business to "bully" a smaller one irrespective of government favors
  • Big businesses can always "undercut" smaller competitors by virtue of their size
  • Big businesses are pro-free market and welcome vigorous competition irrespective of government favors
  • Most new businesses are a good idea and would be profitable but for intereference from large, established competitors
  • Regulatory compliance is a minor burden for small businesses but causes severe consternation among large, established competitors
  • Government is not particularly interested in generating larger absolute tax revenues
  • Government is more worried about pissing off "the people" than about pissing off large, powerful lobbies

Some other big ones include:

• Taxation can be targeted to primarily affect specific economic groups
  • The richest pay the most in taxes under progressive tax systems
  • Government and big business are generally in contention with one another
  • The "free" in free market is different than the "free" in free speech
  • There are certain classes of goods demanded by consumers which, by their very nature, cannot be produced without government
  • Laws regulating economic activity (most laws) are motivated by concerns about establishing "justice", not simply to promote the interests of the law's lobbyists and suppress the interests of outsiders
  • Government regulators are primarily motivated by a concern for the public good

I can't think of any others off the top of my head. If you want specific reasons for why any particular fallacies are incorrect, just ask.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 310

Thanks a lot for your contributions! I appreciate it, and I am glad that so many were willing to help.

The reason as to why I wanted these was due to a new project of mine; making some sort of FAQ/guide to laissez-faire in my native language. I see no one is around and so I wanted to debunk some of these. Once again, many thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS