Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** January 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 321 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,310
Heather replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:17 PM

Wow! Check out the Fed bashing that goes on in this bit of the Texas Senatorial debate

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:30 PM

Heather, excellent find! yes

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

That is incredible.

And here I thought there was only one choice in that race.  Granted, this is only one issue, but still, this is pretty damn awesome, and it means a closer look at these guys is warranted.

As Ted Cruz said, he's been endorsed by Rand Paul, so he may be the guy...but it's possible that endorsement came before some of those others (aside from Dewhurst) declared.  Dewhurst of course is this race's Trey Grayson, the establishment party guy, just looking to get a bigger office. (Both literally and figuratively).

Craig James is just a jock guy, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know anything.  I'm wondering if the electorate would go for him over a politician though.  And this Glenn Addison guy will need to pick up a lot of momentum if he hopes to get anywhere.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:45 PM

I'm interested to see what Craig James' positions are.  I watch a ton of college football so I normally came into contact with him since he was announcing games for ESPN.  I guess we'll wait and see if he is actually a Paulite or not...

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

It's entirely possible he is.  Spending your whole life in sports, you don't get a whole lot of political and economic indoctrination...so it can go either way.  Athlete's and actors typically just go along with what they've heard.  It doesn't take much to sway them, so it's entirely possible the football player has actually read a book or two and at least caught a glimpse of the light.

Not Ranked
Posts 64
Points 670
Runyan replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:56 PM

Found this when searching for a Craig James related post in Skip Oliva's twitter feed:

http://www.lvrj.com/business/former-silver-state-bank-executive-agrees-to-settlement-136437838.html

Also, Skip has just released a new anti-trust ebook

Irrelevant Markets is a collection of 24 essays on the antitrust misadventures of the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice. This e-book reflects the author’s experiences over a decade of covering U.S. antitrust policy and talks about the impact of government intervention on small and big business alike. Irrelevant Markets provides unique insights into the daily abuses of power at the FTC and DOJ that have gone largely unreported by the mainstream press — some of whom are literally in bed with high-ranking antitrust officials, as one essay explains.

http://www.irrelevantmarkets.com/

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

John James:
EmperorNero:
He says rich people are "wasting money", as if lack of money was the reason there's scarcity.
...as if spending money made it more scarce.  And as if he knew better about what someone "should" be doing with their own property than the own himself does.

He's right in the sense that those resources that are spent on seasteads can't be used to educate inner city youth. But this looks at the economy as an automatic process. The wealth that Peter Thiel gets, and may even waste on frivolous experiments, is insignificant. It's a small price we have to pay. If Peter Thiel couldn't have gotten rich founding PayPal, he wouldn't have made society billions of Dollars richer by making internet shopping more efficient. The question is not how to faily distribute that tiny part that wealth creators get, but how to create that big chunk of wealth that will make all of us better off. People who assume that economic progress is automatic think that this big chunk of wealth appears on it's own, therefore they consider profit an avoidable cost to society. Which is why they hate the Jews rich so much.

John James:
And then he doesn't seem to consider effects of spontaneous order at all;
I'd be willing to bet money he'd think that was a term libertarians made up to describe some aspect of their ridiculous ideas.
You have to wonder how humanity made it into the computer age with the broad public that unaware of how simple monetary allocation mechanisms work.
I've heard it said a few different ways, but "when the government controls the education system, don't be surprised when everyone comes out thinking the government is the solution to everything."

Never underestimate the power of indoctrination.

I agree, but I don't think it's just that. There's another reason: Humans evolved to easily comprehed intention-leads-to-result explanations. Spontaneous order, which is often different from individual participants intentions, is not as easily understood. That's why this belief in "intentions must equal results" is such a powerful cultural aesthetic, it just happens to turn people into statists. Maybe state-school teaches it because it's present in the human mind, rather than the other way around.

Edit: Of course, that useless educators teach whatever cultural aesthetic happen to fill their caveman heads, is the fault of state-school. Open source education would probably teach more substantiated ideas.

John James:
The funny thing is that I can see where he comes from. Libertarianism, at least in the form it is advocated by most supporters today, is rather unpolished and must seem arbitrary and inconsistent.
Yeah that's because in reality things are a lot more subtle and sophisticated than people tend to have the time (or mental capacity) to consider.  I spoke a little on this here.

A complicated explanation always has the disadvantage that people have to understand it before they can accept it. Simple, linear explanations always have an edge in the battle of ideas. It's funny that this kind of ignorance is looked down upon in any field of inquiry except economics/politics. Just imagine it was that way in physics or astronomy. Ultimately libertarians simply want people to be more scientific. With all the yelling about "science" these days, we should point that out more often.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

EmperorNero:
He's right in the sense that those resources that are spent on seasteads can't be used to educate inner city youth.

And you know what, that dinner you just ate can't be used to feed 3 starving children in Africa.  Seems like you wasted those resources.  You bastard.

The wealth that Peter Thiel gets, and may even waste on frivolous experiments, is insignificant. It's a small price we have to pay.

Again, you're making his same mistake.  You're projecting your value scale onto his choices.  The guy acquired those resources (supposedly) through market means...making other people better of (i.e.  increasing wealth).  If you want to argue that what he chooses to do with that freely acquired wealth he now has (i.e. what he does with his own time and his own property) is "a waste", that's your opinion...but that doesn't make it a fact.  That's the thing about opinions.  I could just as easily say you're wasting time and effort bitching about how people are wasting money.  You could easily be using all that breath to be singing showtunes on the street corner.  I would much rather hear that.  That would be useful.  But instead you're wasting all that vocal work complaining about other people.  You bastard.

Spontaneous order, that is often different from the individual participants intentions, is not easily understood.

Um.  Yeah.  I said that.

Maybe state-school teaches it because it's present in the human mind, rather than the other way around.

Or maybe state-righteousness and necessity and dependence is taught in state-schools because it's in the self-interest of those in control.

A complicated explanation has the disadvantage that people have to understand it before they can accept it. Simple, linear explanations always have an edge in the battle of ideas. It's funny that this kind of ignorance is looked down upon in any field of inquiry except economics/politics. Just imagine it was that way in physics or astronomy. With all the yelling about "science" these days, libertarians should make the point more often that they just want the other side to be scientific.

You haven't heard?  That's their whole problem.  Austrian economics isn't scientificEven Brian Caplan shows so.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

So if you've been living under a rock and haven't seen "Sh*t girls say" on youtube, you should.  In case you also hadn't noticed, the viral video(s) have spawned a ton of copycats, showcasing basically all the shit everyone says...up to, and including, "shit nobody says."

So you had to guess, our little group wouldn't be left out...

Krugman Has Serious Competition

A new Keynesian appears on the scene, with theories sounder than Paul Krugman's.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 70
Points 1,205

Hilarious, thanks for the laugh. "Daddy little job creator," I'm going to have to use that visual.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 132
Points 1,890
Wesker1982 replied on Sat, Jan 14 2012 12:47 PM

The thread at the RPF about the former Fed economist has been sent down the memory hole. You will now have to register if you want to view the thread.

no

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Points 5,555

Ron Paul is now second on Politico's candidate hub!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I can't tell if this fake or not.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

The parts where you can see his mouth match.  The voice and words are consistent with his face, motions, and the ref's reactions.  I find it odd that that would be broadcast, but it looks legit.

:EDIT:

Here's another upload.  It's legit.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

No wonder I had him on my fantasy football team; there's something special about him.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yeah, I'm definitely sharing that all over the place tomorrow.

I'm not quite sure how the Green Party matches up with Ron Paul, but hey.  I'll take it.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 12:18 AM

I think it's from an NFL Network show where they just show sound bites of players who they mic'd up before the game.  I'm glad to see Arian Foster is a Paul fan!  Peyton Hillis, RB for the Cleveland Browns and the cover athlete for Madden 2012, is also a Paul fan (I'm sure you guys have seen this one):

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 112
Points 2,025
Anton replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:48 AM

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 11:33 AM

JJ - RP could be against the Keystone XL pipeline on eminent domain grounds.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

In the name of democracy? Well, as Walter Block woulc say, "voluntary or involuntary democracy?"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:32 PM

The War On Kids

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:46 PM

Thanks for posting that Gero. Been wanting to watch it for a while.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 10:53 PM

Okay, here it is.

Plus this:

Pashos & Hillis

And check out what Chris Carr's been reading...

What's on your nightstand right now?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 12:08 AM

RP's staff needs to get into contact with them. Get them on ads or something.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 12:17 AM

Schools ‘spy’ on fat kids

First they came for the fatties, but I did not speak up, because I was not fat...
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yeah this is just what we need.  More people like this lady...

Romney gives cash to struggling supporter at rally

[...] Williams told reporters that on Wednesday she had seen Romney's campaign bus on the highway and followed it to an airport. Aides then invited her to come meet the former governor at an event in Columbia.

"I was on the highway praying and said, 'God, tell me how to get [my] lights on, and I pulled up to a stop sign and his bus was there,'" Williams said.[...]

"God didn't tell me to go to nobody else," she said when asked whether she had approached other presidential candidates. "He told me to pray for Romney."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Did anyone happen to see the English Wikiquote page yesterday?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

President Ron Paul, Vice-President Rand Paul?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

This audio is incredible

Song by Rick Ellis. Download a FREE MP3 of this song here:
http://www.sinatra.bz/ron.html

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Bill Maher says Ron Paul is in his heart, and calls his own audience "brainwashed liberals".  I'm not sure what's going on here, but I like it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Another reason to move to the free state: GOLD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Freedom4Me73986:
Another reason to move to the free state: GOLD

You're just gonna work your way around the technical wording of that challenge you lost anyway you can, aren't you.

By the way,

how about those links you owe me?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 1:07 PM

The private life of Karl Marx

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 220
Points 4,980
tunk replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 2:24 PM

Capitalism irrefutably disproved

Upending more than two centuries of free-market theory, leading economists across the globe announced Thursday that the fundamental principles of capitalism had been "irrefutably disproved" by the continued existence of the designer fruit-basket company Edible Arrangements.

Page 5 of 9 (322 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS