Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** January 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 321 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 565

Oliver Stone comes through yet again on the side of the good guys. If anybody knows better than Ron Paul about what it feels like to be continuously ostracized by the media establishment, it's him. Really looking forward to his Showtime documentary (and the ensuing reviews that will attempt to discredit it).

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2012/01/12/director-oliver-stone-on-history-and-america-jim-morrison-ron-paul/

Oliver Stone: "There’s no way that we can continue this spending spree.  In fact, I think in many ways the most interesting candidate – I’d even vote for him if he was running against Obama – is Ron Paul.  Because he’s the only one of anybody who’s saying anything intelligent about the future of the world."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 10:06 PM

Family Values

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 12:09 AM

God, Gero, warn me next time! I almost choked to death and now I have to wipe down my monitor from laughing, choking and spewing my drink all at once.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:27 AM

@F4M: You lost all right to post that crap when Ron Paul lost in NH... if it passes, you can tell us about it, until then, we don't want to hear it...

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:04 PM

Sounds like Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas might be a Paulite:

Thomas posted the following statement on his Facebook page at 6 p.m. ET:

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House [Bruins won the Stanley Cup and were scheduled to meet with Obama--my comments]. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Kg2Gp6BBI

http://ec.europa.eu/europe2020/index_en.htm

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Richard Branson, owner of Virgin urges UK government to rethink drug policy. Says make drug policy a health issue and not a criminal one. 35 news articles on the topic from google news.

https://news.google.com/news/more?hl=en&q=richard+branson&biw=1755&bih=961&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dEJVRtgMKL81t5M3Y6zKRgY53GRzM&ei=qw8fT-CdIsbMhAe527DeDQ&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=2&ved=0CDQQqgIwAQ

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 9:50 PM

For the lolz.

Behind The Scenes: Writing the 2012 State of the Union Address

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:36 PM

@Nielsio: The feeling I took away from that video is that being President is a lot like coaching a football team... but the football stadium just happens to be the entire country of America and the football team happens to be every resident.

This the lobotomized, third-grade level on which public policy is conducted today.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:58 PM

The Jolly Crew (by Fringe Elements / Nielsio)

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Jan 24 2012 11:08 PM

Do you and Fringe Elements plan on doing anything else together? You two look like you'd make quite a combo.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

This is why a state's collapse will result in more tyranny off the bat. Survival skills should be necessary.

I don't agree with the "indigenous view" thing and I don't agree that oil is the problem. For one thing he neglects to mention that big oil wouldn't last a day in a truly free market and only survives b/c of the government. But other then that his views are legit.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Now this is more reason to eat a 100% natural diet.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 7:50 AM

F4M: As a Free State Project-supporter I must ask, can you please stop posting shit about Free State Project? I ask this again and will ask until you answer: Do you understand that because of you, people in this forum have started to hate FSP? Do you understand that you have hurted Free State Project very much and have not helped it at all?

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:06 PM

FACT CHECK: Obama pushes plans that flopped before

Fact Checking the SOTU: Corporate Taxes

Problem with the Buffet rule: Take, for example, the president’s renewed push for a so-called “Buffett rule,” based on the idea, in Obama’s oft-cited formulation, that investors such as Warren Buffett should not pay a lower effective tax rate than their secretaries. He even had Buffett’s secretary, Debbie Bosanek, sitting in the presidential box.

Buffett makes most of his money from investment income (capital gains and interest), and he pays a capital-gains tax rate on that money. That tax rate could theoretically be lower than the tax rate that Ms. Bosanek pays on her wage-based income, although only if Ms. Bosanek’s income is fairly high and she took few deductions. However, the president’s narrative ignores the fact that Buffett’s income had already been taxed at the corporate level. When the effect of both taxes is combined, the real effective tax rate is closer to 45 percent. That is quite a high rate on an inherently risky activity — investing — that our tax code should encourage.

And significantly, note that the president’s solution to this supposed problem is not to reduce taxes on Ms. Bosanek, but to raise them on Mr. Buffett.

That is because the president sees the Buffett rule and his complaints about other tax loopholes as simply a tactic, the camel’s nose under the tent, in his desire for more money for the federal government. That is why his actual tax proposals, hidden behind rhetoric about “millionaires and billionaires” and the “wealthiest 1 percent,” would actually raise taxes on people earning as little as $200,000 per year, as well as many small businesses. And many of his proposals will probably hit people with incomes even lower.

And he wants that money so that he can spend it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Wed, Jan 25 2012 2:50 PM

Have anyone heard about a new project by Koch brothers?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/07/koch-brothers-database-2012-election

http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/123/software-to-take-on-a-president/

The upcoming 'Themis' is their new tool to unite "free marketeers" in the Internet. What do you guys think about this?

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Winner!!!

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 1:46 PM

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Jan 26 2012 5:50 PM

I don't know whether or not this has been posted on this site, probably has, but still this site is just awesome:

http://ronpaulswag.com/

My favorite: 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

OK this is fake news but when I first saw it I thought it was real, because it could be.

Diebold cost Dr. Paul a victory in a certain state I will not mention. Who knows what else these voting machines will do.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 132
Points 1,890

Stefan Molyneux interviews David Barker (Former Fed Economist) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YasmmiR0PrM&feature=share

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:25 AM

For the sake of your monitor, don't read this while eating/drinking:

Economies Need The Invisible Hand of a Gardener

"...SPENDING. The word “spending” means to “use up” or “extinguish value,” and that is what many Americans believe the government does with their tax dollars. Yet government spendingshouldn’t be seen as a process that is destructive or wasteful. The reality is that it is part of a continuous feedback loop that circulates money. To spend tax dollars on education and health care and roads and research and development is the equivalent of dispersing nutrients throughout the garden.

This connection between regulation, spending, taxes and prosperity is hard to grasp if you’re relying on a Machinebrain to make sense of the world...."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 1:51 PM

Anti-Trust and Monopoly (with Ron Paul)

Questions I wish reporters would stop asking Ron Paul because he gives the same answer every time:

Are you electable?

Do you intend to be a third-party candidate?

Why are you an isolationist?

Feel free to add others.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:09 PM

Inflation or Deflation?

;)

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Ron Paul in Freeport ME Jan. 28 2012

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 11:18 PM

Germany wants Greece to give up budget control

This is insanity. Clearly, they believe it's going to work for some reason. I would like to know what that reason is.

Clayton -

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 1:34 AM

Clayton:

Germany wants Greece to give up budget control
This is insanity. Clearly, they believe it's going to work for some reason. I would like to know what that reason is.

Clayton -

I think it also might be possible that Germany tries to get out of the EU by pushing things to the edge. Always pretending to help and rescue the EUR no matter the costs, while at same time delaying one thing after another, only committing to as few as possible without appearing to play a false game, and asking for impossible things until this whole thing busts anyway and they can get out of the EU with a somewhat politically saved face. Oh for sure they will still be blamed that it was their fault, but this way it is at least not so clear, because it just will look like they just tried and messed up. I mean no matter what happens I am quite sure it will always be Germany’s fault...

And in case the impossible demands by Germany are accepted they at least have some new powers. Though I really hope it will be the former outcome if my analysis is correct at all.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 3:02 PM

Bryan Caplan about "Why should we restrict Immigration?"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 3:49 PM

History of Iranian Sanctions

While good for Iranian sanction history, the Congressional Research Service doesn’t know what inflation is.

Can hunting endangered animals save the species?

Anonymous And The War Over The Internet

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 4:16 PM
If any of the mods see this I posted a thread that's pending approval (I assume because of the links), so if you see it...approve it...
I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Page 8 of 9 (322 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS