Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What will you do if Dr. Paul doesn't win the presidency?

This post has 33 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Freedom4Me73986 Posted: Mon, Jan 9 2012 5:21 PM

Even though I'm 100% positive that Dr. Paul will win or at least have a good showing in NH I've been thinking about what will happen to America esp. the dollar/economy if Dr. Paul doesn't win the presidency. He is the only candidate speaking the truth and the only one who will keep his promises. If he doesn't win America will finally go down for good. But I'm sure as it goes down for good the gov. will become its most tyrannical. This is a huge problem. What can we do to survive 4 more years of Obama or 4 years of Romney or Santorum?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

We obviously need to abandon collectivist civilization and move out into the woods where we will survive off of roots and berries.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

On a more serious note, you've now hedged your bet with "Dr. Paul will win or at least have a good showing", which could mean anything depending on how you define "good showing."

Anyway, people who say "if X wins I will Y" are usually full of hot air and don't end up doing anything. We should face the facts and realize that the US is still likely the best place to be. Sure, NDAA is a bad precedent, but chances are you really won't​ get detained. Sure, regulations might make things much worse, but that can't compare with the European welfare state and debt crisis. Africa is out of the question, Asia is likely not better, South America is not great, Mexico's not too great, Canada is likely not that bad but it's cold and I doubt that it's thaaat much better than the US. What do we have left?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
Points 20
WDavidC replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 6:27 PM

Its a shame that if America loses it's freedom then there is no where else to go! At least not in the english speaking world! For the people who want freedom the only choice is to take over a small island and take the constitution with you (as long as you rub out the general welfare clause which has been interpreted as the total welfare) 

Or else hope Branson gets the space programme running quickly and we can explore space to find a new planet. Unlikely that will happen for the next 50 years though. 

America did all it could to end communism around the world, but the communists just surrendered and then got American passports and voting rights. It turns out they couldn't beat America by force but it was easy to do from the inside. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Idk, there was plenty of government favoritism even before the Cold War.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

We obviously need to abandon collectivist civilization and move out into the woods where we will survive off of roots and berries.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

I will KILL MYSELF.

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
Points 5

Wait for Rand to run ;) lol

You can love your country without having to love your government
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

I'll probably get murdered or maybe even worse.  Romney scares the shit out of me.  I think he'll probably cage everyone in here so no one can escape or see the light of day.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

I think he'll probably cage everyone in here so no one can escape or see the light of day.

Simple short-term solution: move to New Hampshire. It's the only place you'll be safe from the FEDs.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Who's Ron Paul?

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920

Honestly, I'm now almost convinced that Ron Paul can't succeed. So I think this topic might become one of the most important reminders to the community that we have to be prepared for the future.

Whether he DOES wins or not, we can't begin counting on him as some sort of Messiah, it's time to start finding solutions outside the norm.

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 980

^You nailed it.  Libertarians being so obsessed with getting a certain politician into power....since when was that libertarianism?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 8:58 PM

"Who's Ron Paul?"

Who is Ron Paul?

If Ron Paul doesn't get elected then I will cry, curl up in a ball, cry, and then eat copious amounts of icecream for hour on end until I pass out or die. 

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 2,100

Go on a permanent holiday to Singapore. If property rights and avoiding government theft are what matter most to you, why not go to a place with a maximum tax rate of 20% (which only applies to incomes over $250k), no capital gains tax, the third highest PP GDP per capita in the world, and the freest business environment? http://www.guidemesingapore.com/taxation/topics/singapore-tax-calculator And, awesome tropical climate all year 'round!

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

Singapore rocks!  Who cares that drug dealers get the death penalty?  Low Taxes!

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 2,100
MadMiser replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 10:09 PM

As opposed to the more humane thing, having them locked up in a cell and raped? If you needed their product, you could always use the money you saved to take a quick holiday every once and a while to nearby Thailand. Personally, I'd happily give up tea, coffee and chocolate if it'd allow me to reduce my tax burden by 10-20% per annum, but I guess that's just my personal preference.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Anything your Singapore can do my NH can do better.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Points 2,100
MadMiser replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 10:14 PM

Do residents of NH have to pay Federal income tax? Federal Capital Gains tax?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Free staters are working on abolishing those taxes. What's your point?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 11:22 PM

I'll keep living my life like I am right now, completely unchanged by the fact the status quo didn't budge within a certain period of time.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 11:24 PM

Bert:

I'll keep living my life like I am right now, completely unchanged by the fact the status quo didn't budge within a certain period of time.

I laughed pretty hard at that one.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 609
Points 5,295

"Singapore rocks!  Who cares that drug dealers get the death penalty?  Low Taxes!"

I care and I would never ever go to Singagpore. I'd always prefer Australia or New Zealand. As far as the index of economic freedom told me thos are at least among the uper ten of the list. That's better than anything the EU or US can offer.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Good for you. Meanwhile I'm preparing for the worst.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 2:39 AM

I'm more worried about Ron Paul winning the nomination at this point. 

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

No need to worry. In NH he's picking up HUGE steam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMZupF5iL50

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 5:58 AM

Esuric: "I'm more worried about Ron Paul winning the nomination at this point."

Typical religious answer, not based on reason. Go on, spout your irrational fears as to why. All stefbot's right?

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Religious? No Dr. Paul WILL win. I will be voting for him today.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:32 AM

That wasn't a reply to you

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:35 AM

Good for you. Meanwhile I'm preparing for the worst.

Preparing?  I'm waiting.  Not til there's complete darkness does light come.  In a way I hope it gets worst just for it to get better.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 4:34 PM

Typical religious answer, not based on reason. Go on, spout your irrational fears as to why. All stefbot's right?

Talk about irrational knee-jerk reactions... I didn't even state my argument and you're already incredibly emotional..

My reasoning, as irrational as you may think it is, is due to the fact that Dr. Paul is no longer a coherent defender of liberty. He is half the candidate this time around as he was in 2008, and even then he wasn't as articulate and coherent as one has to be in order to defend libertarian positions. Most of the points he wins revolve around foreign policy, something that simply won't work on Obama who claims, and in some respects is actually toning down the military industrial complex.

I fear that if Paul wins the nomination that he will actually lose debates to Obama and severely hurt the credibility of libertarianism to the common man. And this is even if ignore the fact that he will not be able to institute the sort of change he wants to if he's actually elected. 

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 4:49 PM

" Dr. Paul is no longer a coherent defender of liberty. "

Could you provide specific examples for what you believe he's changed on or isn't as coherent about as he could be? 

"Typical religious answer, not based on reason. Go on, spout your irrational fears as to why. All stefbot's right? "

What the hell? 

Apart from anything else, Esuric is a minarchist.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Dr. Paul is no longer a coherent defender of liberty. He is half the candidate this time around as he was in 2008, and even then he wasn't as articulate and coherent as one has to be in order to defend libertarian positions

????????????????????????????

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 3:47 AM

you're right. It's not libertarianism. It's psychotic childish faith in authority and political action. Just another delusion. Being not american I couldn't care less about new US master. But if I were one, I would mind my business or went to Canada.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Page 1 of 1 (34 items) | RSS