Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ron Paul's Book 'End the Fed' Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 200
Jarrett Cooper Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012 1:52 PM

Hello all. This is my first post at the Mises Forum.

In the last few month I've taken interest in Austrian economics. I'm just about fininshed with Robert Murphy's Lessons for the Young Economists. I've read Murphy's Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal. I have also read Tom Woods' Meltdown. I also have many other books on my Kindle that I'm planning on reading (thanks to the Mises Institute for all the free ebooks they put out).

My question is this. I was looking at Ron Paul's book End the Fed, and stumbled across a review of the book at Amazon that I think would generate a good discussion. The (negative) review can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/AK2NTWE7SB15W/ref=cm_pdp_rev_title_2?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R1USCOE7XR1EHP

The reviewer, K.S. Schaeffer, takes exception to many of the things Ron Paul writes. First starting with the view that it's not the Fed that is responsible for the boom-bust cycle, noting the recessions/depressions prior to the creation of the Fed in 1913. From there the reviewer numbers his disagreements with Ron Paul. I think all deserve attention, though some more so than others.

I'm curious as to how to best think through the reviewers' critique of some of the ideas Ron Pual wrote.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

There were central banks and fractional reserve banking before the Fed.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 225
Points 4,195

Even without central banks or the discovery of new gold, etc. booms and busts are still possible but they will be milder and fewer in number.

'' The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.'' Stephen Hawking

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 200

Daniel, that's right. Though I'm thinking the reviewer was possibly being pedantic in that Ron Paul was placing all of the economic woes--inflation, recession, depression, and excessive debt--at the feet of the Fed. (Though I believe the quote he uses from Ron Paul wasn't a view in which Ron Pual was trying to say the Fed is the sole and only thing responsible for the aforementioned woes.)

The reviewer noted in his number 1 that there was a U.S. central bank prior to the Fed--which he called an early version of the Fed.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Who else inflates the US Dollar? The $150 million that was counterfeited in the movie Contraband (2012), starring Marky Mark, is peanuts compared to the trillions of dollars that the Fed prints every year.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 200

Daniel, you're preaching to the choir. Though (my turn to be pedantic) technically speaking the Fed doesn't print money (the U.S. Treasury does that), rather it creates money--out of thin air. Robert P. Murphy explained this in a Mises article: http://mises.org/daily/5515

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

If you are a member of the choir, then you understand what I mean when I say that the Fed prints money.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 200

Daniel, I know what you meant, though it's best to say that the Fed creates money than say it prints money. It cuts down on confusion for those we disagree with.

With regards to the reviewers point numbers 1-11, do you have anything of rebuttal? I know for point number 7 it's simply a reading mistake by the reviewer. Ron Paul didn't say there were New Deal programs that forced banks to make poor loans (though maybe there was?). What Ron Paul said is there were various programs, some starting with the New Deal that encouraged banks to make poor loans, then after the New Deal there were other programs that still further encouraged and some even forced banks to make bad loans.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 4:10 PM

Jarrett, welcome. The reviewer fails on basic (elementary school level) logic and understanding of economics. I'll take a stab...

"Throughout the book, Paul argues that his policies will bring about utopia, but history has shown that they bring misery. In the late 1800s, Paul's policies of a gold standard, minimal business regulation, no income tax, and no Federal Reserve were in place. Yet, worker unrest reached an all-time high in the 1890s. Deflation cut wages in half for many workers while their rents stayed the same, making the basics of life unaffordable."

Yes, it is because of paper money, abundant business regulation, the income tax, and the Federal Reserve that we enjoy toasters, fridges, horseless carriages, and work-free Sundays while being able to buy more than three meals with a day's worth of average salary. I wonder why you didn't make your argument even stronger by comparing our Fed-endowed present with, say, a Fed-defficient 15-th century where people lived 40 years on average, slept above barns to keep warm, and wore the same shirt their whole miserable lives before dying from a tooth infection. Paul must want to bring us all back to that. Thankfully, we have the piercing wit of reviewers like yourself to save us from this sinister plan. 

"Alarmingly, he fails to then mention that, within a year after this, a severe depression followed with 600 banks failing (that's equal to 12,000 in today's population). "

Yes, insolvent banks fail when you take away their lender of last resort. That's what's supposed to happen. The goal of ending the Fed is not to prevent bank (business) failure, but to prevent depositors being taken down with them. It is the fractional reserve system and the Fed that is keeping depositors (pretty much everyone) hostage. 

"Name an inside deal"

Every "deal" the Fed does is an "inside" deal. I don't know your definition of "inside" but when I called the Fed asking for a 0% $10 billion loan that I desperately needed to tie me over, I didn't get it. Others seems to have fared better:

"Without a Fed, the government can still commit itself to paying for things (like Medicare) that it lacks the tax revenue to afford. It's like signing a one-year luxury apartment lease and only having the income to pay for two months rent."

Have you tried to sign a luxury apartment lease while only having the income (forget assets, savings) for only two months rent? Who exactly would be lending money (which, mind you, no one is able to create out of thin air) to the government in amounts larger than the economy's whole annual GDP, and at what interest? Would you lend me my annual salary's worth at 0% interest for 30 years today? You think, without the Fed, dollars (or whatever money is) would be equally as abundant (to be lent out) as it currently is with the Fed?

"The crusades were also fought, in part, because of a silver and gold shortage in Europe that could be solved by invading the metal-rich Middle East. At least no invasion has ever occurred for the purpose of stealing paper money."

With easy money from the Fed the government can fund (and funds) every silly expedition which would never have been funded if citizens were asked to pay for it directly through taxes. The clowns would be marched out of Congress after even hinting of asking. 

"The enslavement of African-Americans, the slave-like living conditions of most workers in the late 1800s and early 1900s, and people imprisoned for questioning the government are all the result of the fiat money system? Really? Can you walk us through this, Dr. Paul? Unfortunately, he fails to elaborate. Yet another careless, unsupported statement."

In what universe is Dr. Paul supposed to support statements he has never made?

"Looks like Dr. Paul missed the first day of his Econ 101 class. Inflation hurts the wealthy the most - i.e., a $100 million inheritance only buys $50 million worth of stuff 18 years later. On the other hand, those who earn too little to save (which is more than half the U.S. population) have no such concern, but will find a mortgage easier to pay as years go by."

The rich hold assets whose prices go up with inflation. No rich person who keeps $100million in a checking account has remained so for long. The rich are also connected, so they know better than the rest the direction of where the next wave of money ("liquidity") is going to be hosed, hence they position themselves accordingly. They also know (better than the rest) when said money ("liquidity") hoses are about to be turned off (by our benevolent Bernank) so they can get out (sell) before the credit ("liquidity") induced bubbles burst. In the mean time, the working stiff notices that his salary buys less and less milk, eggs, and gas and is being told to blame the "speculators" (the "greed-infested free market") for pushing prices higher, or even better, "look, CPI says there's no inflation, so quit yer yappin". 

"From the establishment of the FDIC and New Deal banking regulation in the 1930s through the mid-80s, banks couldn't become too big to fail or avoid taking responsibility for risky loans, thus our banks were catastrophe free."

Regulation cannot make banks take responsibility for bad loans. Only the profit and loss motive can. Banks, like any other business, must be allowed to take risks and fail. The problem with fractional reserve banking and the Fed, is that depositiors/savers are inextricably affected by this outcome. Without fractional reserves and the Fed, the negative repercussions from a bank failure are only borne by its investors and creditors (just like any other business) and not by its depositors -- something like when your storage company goes bankrupt you simply move your stored items to another company, instead of them being used as the company assets in the bankruptcy proceedings. 

"Bank failures ARE more regrettable! If the burger joint down the street goes out of business, I don't lose my life savings!!! And can you imagine having to worry about what your bankers are planning behind closed doors?"

Without the Fed and under a gold standard, if a bank fails it would be exactly as if the burger joint went out of business. You can simply take your business (deposit) elsewhere. The bankers can do whatever they want behind closed doors and it would not concern you one bit. 

"Let's keep our money safe with the FDIC."

You're a fool if you think that FDIC is keeping your money safe. When the currently insolvent banks (yes, all of them) implode, your bank account can only be made whole via two methods: (1) the Fed creates the new $ digits on their computer (hyperinflation), or (2) the government taxes everyone to give the money to whomever lost their bank accounts (pretty much everyone!). Good luck with either of those "plans".

"The government CAN manage money! Had Ron Paul been in Joseph's place, he would have refused to implement a national plan to get through the famine, and he would have let the people starve in the name of liberty."

If the government is so good at managing things why not let it manage the production of cars, food, books, newspapers, and movies, just like in the former SSSR or in N. Korea? I mean how could we ever expect that a completely unpredictable and chaotic free market comprised of greedy bastards could ever produce a loaf of bread that an average working stiff could possibly afford? Liberty (free markets, voluntary exchanges between greedy agents) is what feeds you and puts the shirt on your back, despite (not because of) government. The government can't give you anything that it hasn't previously stolen from someone who had produced it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

One more thing to add to the point about central banking and money supply manipulation before the Fed...

Early Speculative Bubbles and Increases in the Supply of Money

http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Financial_crisis#History

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 200

z1235, thanks for welcoming me to the Mises Forum.

Your reply is exactly what I was looking for. Superfically the reviewer makes some decent points. I know Rothbard has some works which deals with some of the recessions/depressions prior to the creation of the Fed. As noted in my previous post, the reviewer also adds on to what Ron Pual was trying to say. In doing so he misconstrues what Paul was actually saying.

Also, about the FDIC, the reviewer doesn't note the moral hazard that this brings about. The banks can now be more risky in their loans than they otherwise could be if there wasn't a guarantee on the depositors' money.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Oh yeah...Welcome to the forum! wink

You're definitely doing well in your studies and are much farther a long than most who find there way here.  Even though you've read some of the good intro texts, I still highly recommend checking out this beginner post for good links and info for continuing your education.

For info on the forum, be sure and check out the newbie thread:

New member? READ THIS!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 200

Another thing to note. The reviewer criticizes Ron Paul that he doesn't give any evidence that the Fed does things in secrecy (point number 2). I mean, even a good bit of the American population are saying the Fed needs to be audited. The Fed doesn't even tell Congress what all they are doing. So yes things are being done in secrecy.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 200

Thanks John, I'll make sure to check out the beginner post.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 4:41 PM

Jarrett Cooper:

Also, about the FDIC, the reviewer doesn't note the moral hazard that this brings about. The banks can now be more risky in their loans than they otherwise could be if there wasn't a guarantee on the depositors' money.

The moral hazard caused by FDIC is peanuts compared to the moral hazard caused by the Fed system. The latter is the core mechanism of wealth transfer (plunder). Please read Ed Griffin's "The Creature From Jekyll Island" to understand this crucial point better. 

Here's a video of his lecture about the book. Highly recommended:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:20 PM

Welcome to the forum, Jarrett.

There are a relatively limited number of common fallacies about Austrian criticisms of central banking which have been being repeated for over a century and which you will run into again and again. I think z took that specific review to task quite well. I'll just give you a heads-up on the broad scope of things. Some of the common fallacies include:

• Austrians want to return to a gold standard. No, we don't want government setting a "standard" regarding money at all. We want a market in the production of money (bullion, coins, banknotes, money transport and transmission, etc.) This can be accomplished through the abolition of the central bank/government mint monopoly, legal tender laws and capital gains taxes on monies that compete with the government's money.
  • There's not enough gold in the world for gold to be money. This goes back to the previous fallacy... Austrians don't care about gold per se, we want a free market in the production of money. If it is true that there isn't enough gold, then the market will select something else, such as silver, to be money. This objection is a red-herring.
  • Fraud and counterfeiting would run rampant without a monetary authority to crack down on these crimes. So how did people manage to eke by for the first, I don't know, at least 5,000 years of using money without a "central authority" to issue it? Gold and silver are extremely difficult to counterfeit; almost all counterfeits can be detected with one or two simple tests (density, ringing) and modern tests (ultrasound, electrical conductivity) are simply impossible to defeat. Anti-fraud technology obviates the need for a punitive authority. Anti-counterfeiting measures are the concern of issuers of banknotes and the market has provided plenty of innovations in this area... some technologies have not yet even been tapped, such as the use of cryptographic protocols.
  • People will hoard their money if they expect deflation (falling prices). This is simply false. We have at least one fairly well-documented test case... during the 19th century in the US, prices of goods and services in terms of gold and silver generally declined. Yet people still bought things.
  • Businesses will go bankrupt in a deflationary environment as the prices they can charge keep going lower and lower. This is also false, see the above bullet... as prices go down, wages also go down. People don't need as much income to buy the same things.
  • The value of money has to be managed in a rapidly growing market so that the supply of money is not oustripped by the number of goods. This is also false. Money producers will respond to increased purchasing power of money by increasing their production. A market in the production of money responds to both deflation and inflation harmoniously, just like any other industry responds to fluctuations in price with increased investment (higher prices) or cutbacks (lower prices).
  • The central bank does not control the money supply, it only sets the interest rate of government bonds. This is a false statement and the academics like Krugman will never come out and say it but they will insinuate the hell out of it. Imagine the government said, "We will buy any apples below the price of $3.00 each"... when you go to the grocery store, lo and behold, you can't find a single apple priced less than $3.00 each. When you accuse the government of setting the price of apples, they respond "Oh no, we don't set the price of apples, anyone can choose to sell or not sell their apples to us for up to $2.99 or to private customers in the market at any price they please - including prices less than $3.00!" But this is precisely what it means to set prices. In order to create a price floor under a good, any surpluses of that good must be bought up or destroyed. And this is precisely what the central bank does to set the interest rate with "open market operations." They buy or sell bonds to maintain a target rate and - by virtue of the fact that they can issue or purchase unlimited amounts of bonds - such operations always succeed in dragging the market interest rate where they want it to be. So, they are in fact price-fixing the rate of interest; the rate of interest, in turn, determines the size of the money supply.
  • People wouldn't want to lug around all those coins in their pocket. This is a sophomoric objection but you run into it all the time. In fact, physical cash is faster and more secure than digital transactions for most small exchanges. This drive to a cashless society is not coming from consumers, it's coming from the Powers That Be and who want to have a completely cashless society where they are then free to create virtual monetary units without limit or oversight. And to the extent that consumers prefer money substitutes over money itself, the market is more than capable of producing them. We don't need a central monetary authority to create money substitutes.
  • Money is whatever we "agree" that it should be. This is a difficult objection to refute because it is so nebulous. Money is like language... what emerges as money (e.g. gold, dollars, etc.) is the result of common use. But, at the same time, common use cannot be altered at will even by a central authority. And no language has ever been created by a bunch of people suddenly deciding to "switch" all at once to the new, never-before-spoken language. All changes in money (and language) are inherently conservative. Money, in Austrian theory, is whatever people use as a medium of exchange but this choice is not made arbitrarily, it comes about as a result of a definite progression of events within the market.
  • No one could ever use a bank because banks would be collapsing left and right as they inflate their banknotes. If this were true, then perhaps we might be better off without banks entirely. But the fact is, it's not true. The problem here is actually legal liability. First, any secure money storage business should probably be a legally separate entity from a credit, note-issue and accounting business to prevent conflicts of interest. The modern combination of all these functions into one unit (a bank) is part and parcel of the problem... our legal system specifically protects entities which are plagued with inherent conflict of interest. Second, the law regarding bankruptcy of secure money storage businesses should be the same as the law regarding any sort of storage business... the bankrupt business is to be auctioned off and the proceeds paid out, pro rata, to its customers.
  • But the era of wildcat banking proves that banks would be collapsing due to banknote inflation! This is simply false. While there were banking panics, bank runs and banknote inflation, a lot of the trouble can be traced back to one of two sources: major East Coast banks spreading rumors and creating panics to try to make their case for a central bank which they eventually got in 1913, and State-level banking regulations that promulgated the bad law described above... glossing over conflicts of interest and failing to protect the interests of bank customers and instead bailing out the politically well-connected bank owners during bankruptcies. This created a system of moral hazard that has grown and grown into the fanged, global, octopus monstrosity that is strangling the globe today.

There are many more but I think this will give you the highlights. Read Rothbard's The Mystery of Banking and The Case Against the Fed - these should be your starting points.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:57 PM

Even though End the Fed was interesting book it didn't have that much economic theory, so I'm not surprised that some people are calling these kind of critiques.

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 8:22 PM

Hey, JC (if I may)! Welcome to a wonderful journey into the heartlessness of Austrian Economics! (technically, it is value-free)

I will take some of the points in the review and refute them and then present you with some nice links.

In the late 1800s, Paul's policies of a gold standard, minimal business regulation, no income tax, and no Federal Reserve were in place.

Careful with the "minimal business regulation" stuff in there. This is false. There was plenty of regulation. Furthermore, there was tons of other interference in the market (outside of regulation) in the form of subsidies/government policies that help business.

By beginning like this, the reviewer belies a basic misunderstanding of the Gilded Age. It's a nice fallacy to believe in that the Gilded Age was laissez-faire. In fact, it was not. While there were some free market aspects which helped to raise the US out of subsistence farming, the big robber barons were the ones who used government power.

Here are some articles to begin debunking the idea of the laissez-faire Gilded Age:

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/the-gilded-age-a-modest-revision/

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/tgif/no-laissez-faire-there/

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/departments/it-just-aint-so-5/

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/the-robber-barons-and-the-real-gilded-age/

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/the-many-monopolies/

That should get you started.

Next, debunk the idea of the evil Standard Oil monopoly: http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Standard_Oil (I will soon expand on this article even more)

Afterwards, note that the popular example of meatpacking as market failure is no more than a myth: http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Meat_packing

For more example of how government in fact was always helping big business, see Gabriel Kolko's The Triumph of Conservativism. (he's a socialist)

A nice quick article to read about Big Business loving regulation is this one: http://www.cato.org/research/articles/cpr28n4-1.html

Alright, now that we've got that down...

They often worked 96 hour weeks in dangerous conditions with hazardous substances (15,000 on-the-job deaths per year).

Yet they chose this voluntarily over the alternative - backbreaking farm labor. People need to snap out of the idea that the time before the Industrial Revolution was all ice cream and roses. No. Subsistence farming isn't cool. It's tough. Really tough. And dangerous. And you don't make much money or food. You need many children for it and these children need to get used to tough farm labor. This brings me to my next point,

Yet their children went hungry (many of them worked too).
In fact, child labor helped to decrease hunger by adding additional sources of revenue for families. See this thread for more info on child labor: http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/27497/450687.aspx
The desperate workers often went on strike, despite government militias and company-hired killers frequently taking strikers' live

Sounds not-very-free-market to me. Killing people who are peaceful? Yeah, that doesn't sounds like "protecting property rights." Also, the unions themselves often got quite violent.

Ron Paul avoids addressing the sufferings of this era and fails to demonstrate how his policies will bring about a totally different result for the working class this time around.

A totally different result? Why would you want that? The Industrial Revolution was one of the most magnificent times in the history of man. It brought the people out of poverty by greatly increasing their productivity. This is merely propaganda he's repeating.

Looks like Dr. Paul missed the first day of his Econ 101 class. Inflation hurts the wealthy the most - i.e., a $100 million inheritance only buys $50 million worth of stuff 18 years later. On the other hand, those who earn too little to save (which is more than half the U.S. population) have no such concern, but will find a mortgage easier to pay as years go by. Of course, as usual, Paul fails to walk us through how his inverted view of reality actually plays out.

He neglects the fact that the rich (or more precisely, some of the rich) get gigantic loans before inflation kicks in. And remember, Paul says "middle class". The middle class is not "too poor to save." That's ridiculous.

Which New Deal 1930's programs forced banks to make such bad business decisions? Paul, as usual, fails to divulge. Apparently, he thinks if he makes something up, that makes it true.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_Mae ?

Paul hates all regulation, even anti-fraud regulation. He prefers that people be powerless against corporate predators - all in the name of "liberty."

I... don't think so...

No thanks, Ron. Let's keep our money safe with the FDIC.
Can you say "moral hazard" three times fast?

a national plan to get through the famine

Uhm, sort of like the government destroying crops during the GD while people were starving?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 8:28 PM

Hey, JC (if I may)! Welcome to a wonderful journey into the heartlessness of Austrian Economics! (technically, it is value-free)

I will take some of the points in the review and refute them and then present you with some nice links.

In the late 1800s, Paul's policies of a gold standard, minimal business regulation, no income tax, and no Federal Reserve were in place.

Careful with the "minimal business regulation" stuff in there. This is false. There was plenty of regulation. Furthermore, there was tons of other interference in the market (outside of regulation) in the form of subsidies/government policies that help business.

By beginning like this, the reviewer belies a basic misunderstanding of the Gilded Age. It's a nice fallacy to believe in that the Gilded Age was laissez-faire. In fact, it was not. While there were some free market aspects which helped to raise the US out of subsistence farming, the big robber barons were the ones who used government power.

Here are some articles to begin debunking the idea of the laissez-faire Gilded Age:

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/the-gilded-age-a-modest-revision/

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/tgif/no-laissez-faire-there/

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/departments/it-just-aint-so-5/

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/the-robber-barons-and-the-real-gilded-age/

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/the-many-monopolies/

That should get you started.

Next, debunk the idea of the evil Standard Oil monopoly: http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Standard_Oil (I will soon expand on this article even more)

Afterwards, note that the popular example of meatpacking as market failure is no more than a myth: http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Meat_packing

For more example of how government in fact was always helping big business, see Gabriel Kolko's The Triumph of Conservativism. (he's a socialist)

A nice quick article to read about Big Business loving regulation is this one: http://www.cato.org/research/articles/cpr28n4-1.html

Alright, now that we've got that down...

They often worked 96 hour weeks in dangerous conditions with hazardous substances (15,000 on-the-job deaths per year).

Yet they chose this voluntarily over the alternative - backbreaking farm labor. People need to snap out of the idea that the time before the Industrial Revolution was all ice cream and roses. No. Subsistence farming isn't cool. It's tough. Really tough. And dangerous. And you don't make much money or food. You need many children for it and these children need to get used to tough farm labor. This brings me to my next point,

Yet their children went hungry (many of them worked too).
In fact, child labor helped to decrease hunger by adding additional sources of revenue for families. See this thread for more info on child labor: http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/27497/450687.aspx
The desperate workers often went on strike, despite government militias and company-hired killers frequently taking strikers' live

Sounds not-very-free-market to me. Killing people who are peaceful? Yeah, that doesn't sounds like "protecting property rights." Also, the unions themselves often got quite violent.

Ron Paul avoids addressing the sufferings of this era and fails to demonstrate how his policies will bring about a totally different result for the working class this time around.

A totally different result? Why would you want that? The Industrial Revolution was one of the most magnificent times in the history of man. It brought the people out of poverty by greatly increasing their productivity. This is merely propaganda he's repeating.

Looks like Dr. Paul missed the first day of his Econ 101 class. Inflation hurts the wealthy the most - i.e., a $100 million inheritance only buys $50 million worth of stuff 18 years later. On the other hand, those who earn too little to save (which is more than half the U.S. population) have no such concern, but will find a mortgage easier to pay as years go by. Of course, as usual, Paul fails to walk us through how his inverted view of reality actually plays out.

He neglects the fact that the rich (or more precisely, some of the rich) get gigantic loans before inflation kicks in. And remember, Paul says "middle class". The middle class is not "too poor to save." That's ridiculous.

Which New Deal 1930's programs forced banks to make such bad business decisions? Paul, as usual, fails to divulge. Apparently, he thinks if he makes something up, that makes it true.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_Mae ?

Paul hates all regulation, even anti-fraud regulation. He prefers that people be powerless against corporate predators - all in the name of "liberty."

I... don't think so...

No thanks, Ron. Let's keep our money safe with the FDIC.
Can you say "moral hazard" three times fast?

a national plan to get through the famine

Uhm, sort of like the government destroying crops during the GD while people were starving?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS