Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

My prediction: War as political cover for default

This post has 46 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton Posted: Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:29 PM

OK, I've been thinking about this for well over a year and I feel like I maybe have a workable theory.

Please read this, then watch this:

At some point, the US government will have to default on its obligations. However, governments never, ever admit fault or failure. We didn't get where we are by "blindness", either. The current mess is the culmination of an frenzied orgy of government spending... the last hurrah.

Let's look at the mechanics of government borrowing over the last century. The basic formula is this - the central bank buys government bonds. In order to do this, it must print money. But the central bank is not the only purchaser of government bonds... if it were, then this would just be a really expensive way to expand the money supply. Instead, the government sells its bonds also to private investors and foreign sovereigns.

The idea is that these private investors are supposed to be a "check" or "indicator" on the government's borrowing... if it gets too carried away, investors will get scared away from bonds, bond rates will skyrocket and the government will be faced with steep interest payments and a dried-up market for its bonds. Despite ludicrous borrowing levels over the last decade, we haven't seen this happen to US government bonds. People have attributed it to "the strength of the dollar" or "the dollar as a safe-haven" but I think this is nonsense. A small basket of "second-tier" currencies (Euro, Yen, CHF, etc.) could not possibly be more vulnerable than the USD itself.

But what if the government wants to bypass this check? Well, all you have to do is convince the general public to borrow more for itself. The more that the private sector borrows, the bigger the market for bonds generally, and the longer the money-printing party can go on. The housing bubble is a perfect example of how this works. From 2001 to 2007, you have hot inflationary cash sloshing out of the Fed and seeking borrowers; with an attendant increase in government spending, debt and entitlements. The credit-worthiness of the US government isn't even a question at the time, though it should already have been being examined.

In 2008, the housing crisis hits and credit ratings go to the floor. By 2011, even the US government's credit-rating takes a ding. So what next? Well, they've been blowing up this college borrowing and this is the source of the next bubble. As crazy as it sounds, I believe even the 2012 end-of-the-world meme is being leveraged. To the extent that people believe such nonsense, it drives up their time-preference... the higher people's time-preference, the more amenable they are to spending and borrowing.

This tells me that 2012-2013 is, in fact, the target date for bringing down the house of cards. Your student debts aren't going to go away (unless you're killed in war) but the US government's debts will. And here's how.

First, they're going to pick a fight with Iran. They're going to embargo Iran, secretly send assassins into Iran to murder people, send intelligence agents in to corrupt Iranian leaders (they've been doing this for a long time), and then when they manage to get Iran to make a move, it will be game-on. They would prefer Iran to act of its own accord but if they have to, they'll just fake it, cf Gulf of Tonkin. Why else is that aircraft carrier parked there?

OK, so you have war with Iran... now what? Well, Iran's allies are Russia and China. Does the Pentagon really believe it can invade the whole world? No, I don't think even the "who needs brains when you've got balls?"-Pentagon is that retarded.

What they want is a surprise "defeat" of US forces at the hands of China/Russia. Such a defeat is pretty much baked into the cake. The moment we open hostilities against Iran, China's going to cut off our credit card. We might have the best military equipment in the world but with no fuel to put in the gas tanks and no money to buy food to put in the soldiers' mouths, what use is it? As mentioned in the article linked above, our aircraft carriers are stone-age monuments to the last war. They will disappear like trench-warfare did in WWII and all the military "experts" will be scratching their heads and then saying, "ohhhhhhhh, yeah, we're always preparing for the last war, duhhhh."

These drones are no different. They look good on paper. They are an economical way to replace existing, high-risk surveillance missions. But this is not how they're being used. I've had debates with a bonehead friend of mine speculating about fleets of drone armies clashing in WW3. This is science-fiction bullshit. Emphasis on fiction. Drones do not extend your capability, they merely can act as a substitute for costlier and riskier missions. It's economics. But the Pentagon doesn't know the first thing about economics. They live in a universe where spending $20 billion on another monument to WWII is all in a day's work.

So, my predictions:

• There is a war coming. I predict a trigger event by mid-2013 at the latest
  • It will act as political cover for US default on its obligations: "Sorry, US public, it's not our fault we can't send your Social Security checks, the mean old Russians and Chinese imposed these cruel terms of settlement. By the way, we're going to have to tax you more to pay reparations to them."
  • Look for tensions to increase to the breaking point towards the end of 2012... either Iran is eventually going to respond to our provocations or we're going to fake an Iranian response
  • Once the "trigger event" has occurred, all hell will let loose. Look for a draft. Look for full-on war hysteria. Be smart, don't go into the streets and protest the war. Stay home and be careful what you post on the Internet.

Remember, the goal of the war is not defeat the enemy, it is to provide political cover for a default... look for some kind of "peace agreement" to be reached after the US quickly exhausts whatever little reserves it has to operate on and after some stinging defeats of its supposedly undefeatable military hardware (aircraft carriers, drones, stealth aircraft) are suffered at the hands of supposedly inferior Chinese/Russian equipment. A Sukhoi with a tank full of gas is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a B-2 bomber with empty fuel tanks sitting on the tarmac.

The open question is whether the Chinese/Russians might not take the opportunity to strike back when the US government has so greatly weakened itself.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 2:01 PM

This could happen, but I doubt that your prediction is an conscious plan by the U.S. Consider the Vietnam War. LBJ didn’t want to lose to RFK for giving up on JFK’s commitment to South Vietnam, so he continued U.S. involvement despite him having doubts about the war. Nixon could’ve gotten the same deal in 1969 that he got in 1972, but he didn’t want to lose a presidential election because South Vietnam fell. Read this opinion by Daniel Ellsberg, who made the Pentagon Papers public, to understand how U.S. policymakers, at the top, were very stubborn. That stubbornness cost billions of U.S. dollars, over 50,000 dead U.S. troops, and millions of dead Vietnamese.

As to the U.S. debt, I doubt that the Obama administration cares that much. It likely cares about its reelection, not the U.S. debt which is still being financed despite an unsound U.S. economy. Investors, misinformed by decades of economic nonsense, believe the U.S. is a safe haven. This goes back to the false story that the government stopped the Great Depression.  Right now, the European government debt crisis disturbs investors, not the U.S. I do not know what will happen.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Nice, Clayton. But I think there is a huge flaw. No govt will stage its own defeat. Just too humiliating.

As for how to repudiate social security, its very easy, really. Print and pay.

And if there is hyperinflation, why that's the fault of speculators, isn't it? And the rich.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

I'm also a bit skeptical about some of your predictions for how you envision any kind of war would go.  First off, I'm not so sure the availability of petroleum would be a massive hinderance for military operation.  Surely it would have severe impacts on domestic life, but the US has strategic reserves, as well as domestic and might-as-well-be-domestic production in Canada and Mexico, that could keep the war machine churining for some time.  As for the money problems after the Chinese don't buy our debt, they would just do what the State always does in large military conflicts: Print and nationalize.  Nazi Germany was falling apart economically throughout WWII, yet their military production peaked in late 1944, after they had already basically lost the war.

Anyway, it was an interesting read.  However I think you ascribe far too much to active conspiracy/plotting and not enough to just general group-think and bueaucratic momentum.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

"They're going to embargo Iran, secretly send assassins into Iran to murder people, send intelligence agents in to corrupt Iranian leaders (they've been doing this for a long time), and then when they manage to get Iran to make a move, it will be game-on. They would prefer Iran to act of its own accord but if they have to, they'll just fake it, cf Gulf of Tonkin. Why else is that aircraft carrier parked there?"

You can't say you are making predictions if you are listing the last few weeks worth of news.

"What they want is a surprise "defeat" of US forces at the hands of China/Russia. Such a defeat is pretty much baked into the cake. The moment we open hostilities against Iran, China's going to cut off our credit card. We might have the best military equipment in the world but with no fuel to put in the gas tanks and no money to buy food to put in the soldiers' mouths, what use is it? As mentioned in the article linked above, our aircraft carriers are stone-age monuments to the last war. They will disappear like trench-warfare did in WWII and all the military "experts" will be scratching their heads and then saying, "ohhhhhhhh, yeah, we're always preparing for the last war, duhhhh."

China in no way will effect the ESF and FED funding, especially during a war.  The Chinese role in US purchasing power is overblown.  It is merely politically convienient to blame them and/or put them in that role.  China and Russia will likely not be allies.  They see each other as long term enemies (Middle East = short, U.S./EU/NATO = intermediate; so goes for both nations).  Iran has so many enemies in the region, that open war with one means they will effectively have to worry about all.  We're talking Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Israel, US, EU...  Russia, Syria, Iran.... China, Pakistan, Iran...

My guess is that you are wrong as hell about the aircraft carriers.  They are old, yes, but the weaponry on them as well as the submarine defense that accompanies them is not be be dismissed.

"speculating about fleets of drone armies clashing in WW3."  (There are a bunch of different potential police/military robots out there.

If you've ever seen videos of Metal Gear Solid, it has robots and genome soldiers.  The design team staffed the second in command of Japanese intelligence.  Your friend is not wrong, but it will be further into the future when we have drone armies and stuff like that.

Your main thesis is just what history tells us; not much of a prediction.  Of coure the economic collapse and war will coincide.  One will be political cover for the other, whichever comes first.  The U.S. officials have said from DoS to DoD to CIA that Israel will make the first move and we will support them.

" There is a war coming. I predict a trigger event by mid-2013 at the latest
    * It will act as political cover for US default on its obligations: "Sorry, US public, it's not our fault we can't send your Social Security checks, the mean old Russians and Chinese imposed these cruel terms of settlement. By the way, we're going to have to tax you more to pay reparations to them."
    * Look for tensions to increase to the breaking point towards the end of 2012... either Iran is eventually going to respond to our provocations or we're going to fake an Iranian response
    * Once the "trigger event" has occurred, all hell will let loose. Look for a draft. Look for full-on war hysteria. Be smart, don't go into the streets and protest the war. Stay home and be careful what you post on the Internet."

Probably correct here, I also think that the Establishment will abuse the ignorance and fear of 2012 (climate change, war, economic collapse; it is all useable) as a diversion for what they do to us.

I'll be burning my draft card in the streets, not cowering in my apartment NOT posting things online.  If the State needs to kill me or lock me up then so be it. (Give me liberty! or ... what was it?) (See you in the FEMA camp! Maybe we can start a riot!)

"Remember, the goal of the war is not defeat the enemy, it is to provide political cover for a default... look for some kind of "peace agreement" to be reached after the US quickly exhausts whatever little reserves it has to operate on and after some stinging defeats of its supposedly undefeatable military hardware (aircraft carriers, drones, stealth aircraft) are suffered at the hands of supposedly inferior Chinese/Russian equipment. A Sukhoi with a tank full of gas is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a B-2 bomber with empty fuel tanks sitting on the tarmac."

You're saying that the NWO (w/e we call it) is going to hand world power from the U.S. to the East?  I seriously doubt the NWO is _that_ coordinated.  It also seems highly unlikely that the U.S power figures are going to just hand things over to the Triads and Russkies. They are fighting for power amongst each other while the banks build the world system.  When the banks are done all will be as was and will be.  U.S. oil comes from Mexico and Canada not the middle east.  China and Europe need that oil in the middle east.  US debt gets hit, Chinese and European production (!!), putting Russia in the best possible place to provide energy for everyone.

"The open question is whether the Chinese/Russians might not take the opportunity to strike back when the US government has so greatly weakened itself."

The Russians will look to influence Europe not the U.S.  I am worried about naval conflicts with China.  They will use a big war as cover to take certain parts of the Pacific Islands and Indochina, possibly Taiwan, etc.  Petere Schiff has explained how American Samoa has coordinated its economy with China.  China, however, has a history of Isolationism.  only when the CCP took control did they become belligerent (who'da thunk it'd take a European philosohpy to turn the Asians into western style imperialists).

You also realize the Russian equipment, with the possible exception of tech waeponry, is two decades older than current U.S. equipment.  China also can barely put together submarines that have the kind of quality for war.  Seriously, the Chinese military is not a huge threat anywhere but in Central Asia (land forces).

I also regard nuclear weapons (perhaps naively) as a non issue everywhere but in Israel and Pakistan/India.  The only reason the US used them in the past was because no one else had them.  States use nukes to ensure that they will fight conventional wars.  If more states get them, they lessen the risk of a conventional invasion by a nuclear force and bring the war standard back down to conventional scenarios.

Israel's idiotic war plans are the greatest threat to world peace.  SAMSON will end us all.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 9:07 PM

Both Russia and China appear to be backing Iran, but how much of that is a bluff is anyone's guess at that point. Then again, people probably said the same thing about the great powers of Europe in the month between June 28th and July 28th, 1914.

As I've mentioned before, the worst possible outcome I see from this is no less than the extinction of humanity in an NBC holocaust (and no, I don't mean re-runs of America's Got Talent). So I'd say it's pretty dangerous times we're living in.

More on this later.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 9:13 PM

Okay, real quick:

Since Nixon closed the gold window, the dollar has remained the world's reserve currency due solely to US power-projection over most of rest of the world. This power-projection only escalated after the collapse of the Soviet Union, when many analysts apparently thought the US would back off instead. (Many people speculated the same thing about the US vis-a-vis the "war on terror" after Osama bin Laden was allegedly killed in May of last year.)

Anyways, it seems to me that the dollar's de facto status as the world's reserve currency brings a lot of benefits to the US power elite. Take that away and I suspect their entire shell game comes crashing down around them. Yet in tightening their grip over the rest of the world, they paradoxically face increasing opposition, which threatens the shell game even more. Ultimately, the only way out for them may be to go literally "all in" and bet the farm on being the last ones standing.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445
Phaedros replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 9:16 PM

I think it's safe to say that when the state starts failing enough, war will be inevitable to distract the populace.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

It's a known fact that all the wars America has been in since 1913 were the direct cause of the FED and the FED's printing of fiat currency out of thin air. The FED has one goal: destroy America. This would be good if we knew a true anarcho-capitalism would emerge from the ruins but as we know all too well states have a history of becoming their MOST tyrannical as they begin to collapse for good. I have a feeling that America's collapse is already happening thanks to the FED. We see things like the ending of the Constitution (which is the second best thing to a capitalist anarchy IMHO) with the Patriot Act, NDAA, SOPA, PIPA and all the other bills to end our liberty once and for all. Things will only get worse when the SHTF moment comes. Better learn survival skills now so you can prepare.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 11:40 PM

Freedom4Me73986:

It's a known fact that all the wars America has been in since 1913 were the direct cause of the FED and the FED's printing of fiat currency out of thin air.

News to me.  What's your source for this "known fact"?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:

It's a known fact that all the wars America has been in since 1913 were the direct cause of the FED and the FED's printing of fiat currency out of thin air.

News to me.  What's your source for this "known fact"?

http://ftmdaily.com/the-federal-reserve-fraud/inflating-war-central-banking-and-militarism-are-intimately-linked/

The FED causing a war with Iran, China and Russia will certainly be the SHTF moment. I'd prepare.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:12 AM

It's the reverse.  War is one of the reasons we have the fed.  The fed does not start wars.  Politicians use the fed as a tool to finance them.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:17 AM

you are wrong as hell about the aircraft carriers

What do you think about what the author of the linked article said? He didn't just make it up, he's documented his claims... aircraft carriers have no defense... zero defense... from overhead threats. You don't think the Chinese or Russians can lift a rocket projectile into a position to vertically drop on an aircraft carrier? Even if the aircraft carrier's defenses managed to take out one rocket, the Chinese or Russians could launch dozens for a tiny fraction of the cost of an aircraft carrier... spending $100M to take out a $20B weapon is a hell of a bargain.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:18 AM

No govt will stage its own defeat.

Think again.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:21 AM

U.S. policymakers, at the top, were very stubborn.

I don't believe that the top policymakers have the final say in what happens. The permanent power interests have the final say; not the Presidents and their cabinets which come and go every four years. Appearances aside, they are administrators. They implement the policies they are given to implement.

Clayton -

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

It's the reverse.  War is one of the reasons we have the fed.  The fed does not start wars.  Politicians use the fed as a tool to finance them.

Either way I'd bet my gold that the FED and the bankers who own it are pushing America to war with Iran and China very soon. Better learn survivalist skills now so you can escape the tyranny which will follow.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 12:57 AM

“I don't believe that the top policymakers have the final say in what happens. The permanent power interests have the final say; not the Presidents and their cabinets which come and go every four years. Appearances aside, they are administrators. They implement the policies they are given to implement.”

Show me evidence that unnamed people (you call them “permanent power interests”) are dictating U.S. policy.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:07 AM

Here's some:

President Truman

S State - Edward Stettinius, Partner in J.P. Morgan
S State - Dean Acheson, member of "The Wise Men" affiliated with John McCloy and Averell Harriman
S State - James Byrnes, Protege of Bernard Baruch
S War - Henry Stimson, Protege of Elihu Root, J.P. Morgan lawyer, cousins partners in Bonbright
S War - Robert Patterson, CFR
S Defense - Robert Lovett, Brown Bros Harriman, Skull and Bones, The Wise Men
S Defense - James Forrestal, Dillon Read & Co. (rockefeller)
Office of Defense Mobilization - "Electric" Charlie E. Wilson, GE
S Commerce - Averell Harriman, skull and bones, Guaranty Trust Co, Brown Bros Harriman, Friend of Hall Roosevelt

President Eisenhower

S State - John Dulles, Sullivan & Cromwell (Morgan Law)
S State - Christian Herter, married into Pratt Family of Standard Oil, CFR
S Defense - Charlie E Wilson (Engine Charlie), General Motors
AtGen - Herbert Brownell, worked for Lord Day & Lord who practiced law for Chemical Bank (rockefeller)
S Commerce - Lewis Strauss, partner in Kuhn Loeb (Warburg), advisor to Rockefeller Bros
Dir CIA - Allen Dulles

President Kennedy 

NatSec Advisor - McGeorge Bundy, Ford Motors, SKull and Bones, CFR
S Treasury - C Douglas Dillon, Dillon Read & Co., CFR, Rockefeller Foundation
S Defense - Robert McNamara, World Bank, protege of Robert Lovett, Ford Motors, Brookings Institution, CalTech
S State - Dean Rusk, Rockefeller Foundation
CIA - John McCone, Bechtel, Consolidated Steel

President Johnson - heavily financed by KBR

NatSec Advisor - McGeorge Bundy, Ford motors, Skull and Bones, CFR
S Treasury - C Douglas Dillon, Dillon Read & Co., CFR, Rockefeller Foundation
S Defense - Robert McNamara, World Bank, protege of Robert Lovett, Ford Motors, Brookings Institution, CalTech
S State - Dean Rusk, Rockefeller Foundation
S Treasury - Henry Fowler, Brookings Institution, Goldman Sachs
UnderS of State for Political Affairs - Eugene Rostow, Cravath Swaine & Moore (DuPont, Morgan Stan, Time Warner)
CIA - John McCone, Bechtel, Consolidated Steel

President Nixon

S State - Henry Kissinger, CFR, Bilderberg, Trilateral Commission, Rockefeller Brothers Fund, Rand Corporation
S Treasury - David Kennedy, Brookings Institution
S Treasury - William Simon, Haliburton, Citibank
S HEW - Caspar Weinberger, Bechtel
S Treasury - George P Shultz, Bechtel

President Ford

NatSec Advisor - Brent Scowcroft, Trilateral Commission, CFR, CSIS
VP - Nelson Rockefeller
S State - Henry Kissinger, CFR, Bilderberg, Trilateral Commission, Rockefeller Brothers Fund, Rand Corporation
S HEW - Caspar Weinberger, Bechtel
S Treasury - William Simon, Citibank, KBR, CSIS with Kissinger
S Defense - James Schlesinger, Rand Corporation
S Defense - Donald Rumsfeld, G.D. Searle & Co (pharm), Rand Corporation, Bechtel, Bilderberg, A.G. Becker (wall street)
CIA - Brent Scowcroft, Trilateral, CFR, CSIS, Bilderberg

President Carter

NatSec Advisor - Zbigniew Brzezinski, Trilateral Commission, CSIS, Bilderberg, CFR
S State - Cyrus Vance, Trilateral Commission
S Treasury - George W Miller, Federal Reserve, Club of Rome, Cravath Swaine & Moore Law firm, Textron
S Defense - Harold Brown, IAGS, CITech, Altria
AtGen - Griffin Bell, King & Spalding Law (coke, GM, Chevron)
S Commerce - Juanita Kreps, CFR, Citicorp, AT&T
S Agriculture - Charles Duncan, Coca-Cola, JP Morgan, AmEx
S Education - Shirley Hufstedter, CFR, Aspen Institute, Morrison and Foerster

President Reagan

S Defense - Caspar Weinberger, Bechtel
S State - George P Shultz, Bechtel
S Treasury - Donald Regan, Merrill Lynch
S Defense - Frank Carlucci, PNAC, RAND
CIA - William Webster, Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy
S Commerce - William Verity, Armco Steel
NatSec Advisor - Colin Powell, CFR, Bilderberg

President GWH Bush, CIA Dir, Skull and Bones, Brown Bros Harriman, Dir CFR,

NatSec Advisor - Brent Scowcroft, Trilateral, CFR, CSIS, Bilderberg
S Treasury - Nicholas Brady, Dillon Read & Co., CFR, Rockefeller Foundation
S Defense - Dick Cheney, CFR, Bilderberg, Haliburton, PNAC
S Agriculture- Clayton Yeutter, ConAgra, Caterpillar, Weyerhauser
S Commerce - Robert Mosbacher, CSIS, Aspen, New York Life Insurance
S Transportation - Andrew Card, General Motors, Ford Motors, UP Rail, PR Firm 
Trade Representative - Carla Hills, Trilateral Commission, CFR, Coke, Chevron, CSIS

President Clinton - Trilateral, CFR, Bilderberg

CIA - George Tent, Allen & Co. Bank, 
CIA - John Deutch, Citigroup, Raytheon, SChlumberger, Trilateral Commission
S Treasury - Loyd Bentson, Lockheed Corporation
S Treasury - Robert Rubin, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, Dir CFR, IMF, Ford Motors
S State - Warren Christopher, Dir CFR, Trilateral
S State - Madeleine Albright, Dir CFR, Albright Group --> Coke & Merck
UnderSec Defense - John White, RAND corporation

Trilaterals, Aspen, CFR, Brookings get their funding from Rockefellers. Citibank, Goldman, and JPM are Rockefeller banks. But that's not the entirety of the point. The point is that if you get 3 people marching step, then the 7 remaining people will follow them. The three people look intelligent and decisive. Put some people in cabinets and then when they decide on the same ends, it would seem stupid to oppose them. It's also not necessary for these people to get any commands or advice from the people who share their interests. They know how the game works: lie, cheat, make war, profit. If these people are largely beneficiaries of the same party then there's no need for a top down command structure. Also, you may have noticed a strong Bechtel and KBR presence in the cabinets. It is not necessary for these military industrial people to meet personally with bankers. They both have the same ends: profit from government spending. Military people get their bombs bought and whatnot, and the bankers get the debt in the US and the assets from the defeated countries. There's practically unlimited information on this subject. Frankly I don't care whether you accept it or not, because anarcho capitalism would solve the problem whether it exists or not, but you might find it fascinating and puts things in perspective.

EDIT: I just thought I should say: Harriman and Rockefeller shared banking interests starting from the 1930's internationally.
Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:47 AM

Jargon, I do not dispute that government agents can have financial reasons for choosing certain policies. Clayton disbelieves “that the top policymakers have the final say in what happens.” I was wondering who is ordering the president to do so-and-so or else.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

"What do you think about what the author of the linked article said? He didn't just make it up, he's documented his claims... aircraft carriers have no defense... zero defense... from overhead threats. You don't think the Chinese or Russians can lift a rocket projectile into a position to vertically drop on an aircraft carrier? Even if the aircraft carrier's defenses managed to take out one rocket, the Chinese or Russians could launch dozens for a tiny fraction of the cost of an aircraft carrier... spending $100M to take out a $20B weapon is a hell of a bargain."

That may be true about the aircraft carrier itself, but they don't send those out in to battle without a fleet.  The destroyers have anti air guns and the submarines can see mines and torpedoes (and other subs).  Our navy has lazers that blow up missles in the sky.  It can blow up boats too.  No one is getting close to that stuff.  Aircraft carriers are our most expenseive and most important travelling security fortresses.  Some of them have almost 20,000 soldiers on them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13033437

We also have these:

http://rt.com/news/pentagon-new-bomb-681/

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 8:07 AM

I believe the strategy is deny access to the littoral combat zone using more missiles and torpedos than can be defeated with counter-measures.  Hundreds can be launched; only one needs to hit.  They'd all be launched from shore batteries and dozens of fast-moving small green-water craft.

They don't have anything that can counter a carrier battle group in the open sea, besides nuclear weapons, but that's not where they'd want to fight.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 8:34 AM

James:
I believe the strategy is deny access to the littoral combat zone using more missiles and torpedos than can be defeated with counter-measures.  Hundreds can be launched; only one needs to hit.  They'd all be launched from shore batteries and dozens of fast-moving small green-water craft.

On a lighter note, I hope I wasn't the only one who thought of Thermopylae when reading this. :P

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 8:40 AM
Not being mean, I will start contributing again when business slows down. I just have to point out the irony of someone with "Logistic" in his name saying something like this "I'm not so sure the availability of petroleum would be a massive hinderance for military operation." lmaooooooooooo
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 8:53 AM

To back up Malachai's point (in a nicer way), the US military is one of the (if not the) single biggest consumers of petroleum fuels in the world. Indeed, the focus on the Middle East makes perfect sense in the context of power projection - if your military relies on gas, then it must have constant supplies of gas in order to project it to the fullest extent possible.

Make no mistake about it, the US government needs hegemony over the Middle East and/or other petroleum exporting regions in order to maintain/expand its hegemony over the rest of the world.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • Not being mean, I will start contributing again when business slows down. I just have to point out the irony of someone with "Logistic" in his name saying something like this "I'm not so sure the availability of petroleum would be a massive hinderance for military operation." lmaooooooooooo

For the US, ha.  As I said would be plenty to go around to fuel the military machine.  The private sector will take a huge hit though.  I'm not talking about how a lack of fuel would hinder a military operation.  Obviously it would.  However I doubt that the US military would actually face a limit of fuel, at least in the first years of the conflict.  I don't even know if a protracted large-scale war would be possible given how modern wars seem to go.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 11:11 AM

Please note when I said "fuel in the tanks" I was speaking poetically... if we can't buy what we need, we're screwed. And in the modern world, you can't isolate yourself and keep up... titanium is a building block in much of our latest military equipment... mining it within US territory would be many times more costly than buying it in the open market. If no one will trade with the US government because it's broke, the US government will discover headwinds to the production and maintenance of a military apparatus that they've never imagined could exist.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Aristophanes:
You also realize the Russian equipment, with the possible exception of tech waeponry, is two decades older than current U.S. equipment.

Says who? The crimal gangs in Russia, who are connected to Russia's political elite, have technology that is up there with Microsoft, IBM, etc. Hell, they're the one who find the exploits in those companies' technologies. The gangs have thousands of zero-day exploits that they could use against the USA government. One simple email with spyware attached to it and now you have some USA general's battle plans.

Plus, Russia can tap into Eastern European criminal gangs for more technology.

China also can barely put together submarines that have the kind of quality for war.  Seriously, the Chinese military is not a huge threat anywhere but in Central Asia (land forces).
Why does China need submarines when it can hack into American submarines and crash them tino the ocean floor?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Aristophanes:

You're saying that the NWO (w/e we call it) is going to hand world power from the U.S. to the East?  I seriously doubt the NWO is _that_ coordinated.  It also seems highly unlikely that the U.S power figures are going to just hand things over to the Triads and Russkies. They are fighting for power amongst each other while the banks build the world system.  When the banks are done all will be as was and will be.  U.S. oil comes from Mexico and Canada not the middle east.  China and Europe need that oil in the middle east.  US debt gets hit, Chinese and European production (!!), putting Russia in the best possible place to provide energy for everyone.

But the political elite* and TPTB and are not nationalists. They're a bunch of clans that coordinate and they're turn on each within a heart beat; and they will sure as hell sell off the masses.

*On camera they might say, "we must defend America," but once they pull out their investment out of the USA and instead invest in Asia, why would they care? What are the masses gonna say; "shame on you!"?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 6:00 PM

No govt will stage its own defeat.

Mmm.  Would no company ever stage its own failure?  Is there no way the directors can benefit from that happening?

Why does China need submarines when it can hack into American submarines and crash them tino the ocean floor?

I don't think they can actually do that.

A submarine is not remote-controlled.  It only has communication channels to the outside world.  They can probably be hacked, and the sub located with such information, but probably not more than that...  (Do they need more than that?  Lol...)

If Iran hacked that Predator drone a whiles back, it's because they are controlled remotely.

Says who? The crimal gangs in Russia, who are connected to Russia's political elite, have technology that is up there with Microsoft, IBM, etc. Hell, they're the one who find the exploits in those companies' technologies. The gangs have thousands of zero-day exploits that they could use against the USA government. One simple email with spyware attached to it and now you have some USA general's battle plans.

By the same token, organised crime in the USA is an extension of the CIA.  Italian mafia and some of the largest Mexican cartels certainly, who knows who else...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

James:
Why does China need submarines when it can hack into American submarines and crash them tino the ocean floor?[...] It only has communication channels to the outside world.  They can probably be hacked, [...]

That's all you need. The strategy would be to convince someone on the inside to sink the ship. But that's probably too difficult. A better strategy would be to get someone to turn off the submarine's defenses and then have another American submarine attack it. Look up "social engineering."

By the same token, organised crime in the USA is an extension of the CIA.  Italian mafia and some of the largest Mexican cartels certainly, who knows who else...

What was your point?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 6:24 PM

That's all you need. The strategy would be to convince someone on the inside to sink the ship. But that's probably too difficult. A better strategy would be to get someone to turn off the submarine's defenses and then have another American submarine attack it. Look up "social engineering."

I can't, goddamit!  Not with that link.

But I get it...  They have friend-or-foe targeting systems.

What was your point?

Well, the Americans could get the keys to the enemy defense systems the same way the Russians or Chinese could get the keys to the enemy's offensive ones.  I don't think one side has the obvious upper hand in terms of computer espionage.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

James:

I can't, goddamit!  Not with that link.

But I get it...  They have friend-or-foe targeting systems.

What was your point?

Well, the Americans could get the keys to the enemy defense systems the same way the Russians or Chinese could get the keys to the enemy's offensive ones.  I don't think one side has the obvious upper hand in terms of computer espionage.

I agree with you. 

But remember, I was replying to this: 

"You also realize the Russian equipment, with the possible exception of tech waeponry, is two decades older than current U.S. equipment."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 6:47 PM

Yeah, that sounds a bit far-fetched. But I think the key issue here is that the 2nd-tier miltiary powers are definitely thinking in an asymmetric mode. They're focused on what gives them the biggest bang for their buck while the US focuses on the biggest bang at any price (e.g. MOAB) in order to induce "shock & awe". But "shock & awe" only works on 3rd rate or lower powers... China and Russia will not be shocked or awed by anything we do.

They have active intelligence agencies whose purpose is to keep them abreast of the very latest in US capabilities, a good deal of which can be reasonbly surmised by close reading of official DoD reports, un-classified gov. financial data, Jane's, Popular Science and globalsecurity.org. They have their own spy satellites and advanced ELINT capabilities. There have been speculations that Russian ELINT has actually been ahead of US ELINT for a long time due to increased investment in these kinds of technologies during the Cold War era.

So, all those drones and Shock & Awe weapons are a waste of money when it comes to confronting an actual military that isn't going to get spooked and is happy to shoot back. Rather than wasting their money on Hollywood weapons, China and Russia are building cost-effective anti-ship and anti-aircraft missiles. Without that "full-spectrum dominance" we've become so accustomed to, we're just another ground force and then it's a question of whether their soldiers or our soldiers are better fighters. I don't meant to dengirate any of my fellow Americans but I believe the Chinese soldier at least is a damn sight hungier than the American soldier.

On the question of nukes, I'm going to go way out into left field... I am beginning to suspect more and more that nukes themselves are a hoax. I made a thread on this issue a while back, search it up to see my thoughts on it. In any case, assuming they are, in fact, real, the use of nuclear weapons is by and large a "complete and total no no under any circumstances" so I don't really see any strategic scenario in which nukes would become a factor.

Clayton -

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 7:41 PM

They might as well be a hoax.  More damage was done by incendiary bombings than the nukes at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  A lot of "nuke" tests are known to be simulations using lots and lots of conventional explosives, to produce exactly the same results.  (Without the fallout, for which you'd just need to throw in some radioactive material to make a big dirty-bomb.)

They've always struck me as very impractical, and in accordance with a doctrine of 'shock-and-awe'.  Like elephants with cannons on their backs.  (Medieval II Total War is an awesome video game, btw.)

But what about the measurable spikes in the Earth's background radiation after big nuke tests, like Tsar Bomba...?

Unless those are all secret nuclear accidents, or just tests with big dirty-bombs, who knows... :p 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Clayton:

Yeah, that sounds a bit far-fetched. But I think the key issue here is that the 2nd-tier miltiary powers are definitely thinking in an asymmetric mode. They're focused on what gives them the biggest bang for their buck while the US focuses on the biggest bang at any price (e.g. MOAB) in order to induce "shock & awe". 

This is what I am getting at in defense of your OP. Why would China spend $1 trillion on a high-tech navy, when it can spend $100 billion to buy compute time from Amazon AWS (covertly) to hack into the navy's weapons and communications system and wreck havoc?

I agree with Marc Faber and others that WW3 will be more cyber and biochemical than guns. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Immediately before and during the war, what will happen to the Chinese, Iranian, and Russian scientists in the USA? Is the USA government gonna go to Stanford, MIT, etc. and round them up? How many of them do you think are spies; or would at least be sympathetic to their former countries.

(Since I live in Calfornia) I can tell that if the USA ever invaded Mexico, there would be havoc in California. So, would the USA government need to have an effective propaganda campaign before the war? Would there need to be more action movies where the Chinese and the Russians are the bad guys?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 8:09 PM
Kinetic ops dont go away in fourth generation warfare, they just become a part of a bigger plan. Your reference to biochem is interesting. Bio and chem has always been more about fear, terror, and area denial than it has been about causing actual casualties. In studying warfare, we recognize that the physical level is subordinate to the mental, and the mental level is subordinate to the moral.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 8:33 PM

tests with big dirty-bombs

This. Ground-zero of the Trinity test site was covered in a radioactive glass substance dubbed "Trinitite". The government cleaned it up back in the 50's or 60's and today, it is illegal to attempt to remove a piece of Trinitite from the site.

Off-the-chart Geiger counter readings is enough to deter anybody from trying to do any sort of critical investigation of the factuality of nuclear tests.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 8:53 PM

I think the Elites are themselves too scared of WMDs to actually use them. I mean, if you release an airborne, flesh-eating Ebola virus that kills off 95% of the planet's population, how do you make sure that 95% doesn't include you or your family? OK, so you vaccinate yourself (seriously?) but then, what happens when your enemy, in retaliation, releases his own strain of 95% death-rate, airborne, flesh-eating Ebola virus which your vaccine does not stop? So, they don't even want to go there. They're sociopaths but not suicidal.

But, yeah, whatever war they're preparing for is going to be an economic war. It's going to be about who has been wasting trillions on sci-fi fantasy projects and who has been penny-pinching every nickel to get the most bang for their buck. The penny-pincher's going to win because he can outlast. There are no targets, anymore. Well, except US aircraft carriers. There's no Big Factory you can go bomb and shut down All Military Production. There's no single capitol you can go invade and Take Over.

I saw a photo of Iranians training on dirt bikes. These are two man teams, one driving, one shooting, like they're on a horse. Imagine 100,000 of those guys coming your way and you're in Humvees, A1 Abrams and Bradley APCs. How are you going to pick off 50,000 little motor bikes? Even if you had total air superiority (and you won't), you're 1/10th as mobile and agile as they are. Even if you stay in a defensive column to prevent a major assault, the level of attrition they can inflict with real weapons (anti-tank, anti-personnel, etc.) is massive and it's cheap. And they're running that whole show on 1/100th of what you're spending per day. Even if you have 10x as much money as they have, they can still keep going 10x longer than you can.

Stupid Americans think the only difference between Iraq and Iran is the last letter of their names. Saddam was a fool. He lost the Iran-Iraq war to unarmed Iranians. Look it up! Iran is over twice the population of Iraq, nearly 1/3 the population of the US. Unlike Iraq, Iran will enjoy protection from Russia and China because Iran is a major oil supplier for both of them - I think Iran has the 3rd largest oil reserves in the world and pipes oil directly into Russia and China. Attacking Iran is like trying to sabotage the breaker box on the back porch of your highly-armed enemy. He's not going sit idly by and watch you shut off his power.

My view: The US military is a bully. They can beat the shit out of tiny little countries and bomb them into the stone age from a position of absolute air, space and sea superiority but when they next pick a fight with someone who can hit back, they're going to find out just how flabby they've become.

Clayton -

Page 1 of 2 (47 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS