Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Which Forum Platform?

This post has 95 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:41 AM

Conza88:
I don't think that was always there. Interesting.

Well it was there when I told you to do it.  And long before that.  So don't try to blame your ignorance and inability to follow instructions on "well that must not have been there before"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:42 AM

Daniel James Sanchez:
Are any of the platforms missing a decent quoting capability?  That is a must, too.

I've never had an issue with quoting on any of the platforms brought up so far, but I've never operated or used (AFAIK) XenForo.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

John, there's no need to be so severe.  Let's try to keep this discussion friendly.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:58 AM

Just offering the same curtness with which my helpful instructions were met. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:14 AM

"Well it was there when I told you to do it.  And long before that.  So don't try to blame your ignorance and inability to follow instructions on "well that must not have been there before""

I generally don't find your posts worth reading, so forgive for skimming over it and assuming you were referring to the 'Check spelling' tick button.

Whatever the case: it is NOT the default, so for each post it entails going through and enabling. Hassle. Pet peeve remains. Or am I again missing some secret setting that I need to change?

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 12:17 PM

Conza88:
I generally don't find your posts worth reading, so forgive for skimming over it and assuming

So either don't read em and don't comment, or read em and comment knowledgeably.  I'm sure I've heard a clever saying about the dangers of simply assuming things.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:47 PM

John James:

Conza88:
I generally don't find your posts worth reading, so forgive for skimming over it and assuming

So either don't read em and don't comment, or read em and comment knowledgeably.  I'm sure I've heard a clever saying about the dangers of simply assuming things.

JJ: 1

Conza: 0

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 768
Points 12,035
ladyattis replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:55 PM

Daniel, I think I can offer at least one suggestion to get an idea of what existing Mises Community and Forum users want may be that you setup an informal poll of a series of features (and possibly a post explaining each feature briefly). I think after figuring out what is considered the top features see which packages that are out there might fit with the LvMi budget on the matter (support [internal and external], licensing, modules, etc). 

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:24 PM

"So either don't read em and don't comment, or read em and comment knowledgeably.  I'm sure I've heard a clever saying about the dangers of simply assuming things."

The whole purpose of my comment still stands and would have continued to be raised even if I was completely aware of what you said.

"Whatever the case: it is NOT the default, so for each post it entails going through and enabling. Hassle. Pet peeve remains. Or am I again missing some secret setting that I need to change?"'

I guess I'm not.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,140
Think Blue replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:41 PM

TANSTAAFL:

I don't know the first thing about platforms but I have been a member on this board for a number of years and I like the way it works (especially the simpliity of quoting, linking, and embedding) ALOT.

http://rubechat.kfan.com/index.php

That's phpBB.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Conza88:
"Whatever the case: it is NOT the default, so for each post it entails going through and enabling. Hassle. Pet peeve remains. Or am I again missing some secret setting that I need to change?"'

I guess I'm not.

Progress!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 6:19 AM

If you don't want to go with Reddit, then I would suggest looking into XenForo. The fact that they split off from Vbulletin, and started from scratch, makes me think they have the most modern code of the big ones.

It looks good, but apparently it's a commercial product. Could that be a problem?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

Nielsio:
If you use the collapse button on Reddit ( [-] ), that makes it easy to read through threads with a lot of nesting. What you do is when you finished checking out a subsection, you collapse it, and you can visualize what's going on.

That doesn't really help, you still have to scroll back up the page to find the post they're responding to.  It's just so much easier when users quote the user and specific text they're responding to.

Nielsio:
What I perceive as a big advantage of Reddit is that they've aimed at making posts compact. This makes the nesting succesful (together with the collapse function).

Why do you feel that is an advantage?  To me, it looks ugly and difficult to read.  It just looks like walls of text. 

Ultimately, as several people here have said, Reddit works more for sharing links and commenting on the link that's been shared.  It doesn't work so well for discussion.  The link you click on to view "discussions" even says "comments".  It feels like youtube.  The comments pages look like youtube with the way you tend to have lots of people responding to the OP, and relatively little conversation between posters.  Compare that to here where most threads are somebody asking a question or wanting to discuss something, and pages of group discussion and posting of useful links occurs all the time.  But the Low Content Threads (which were originally your idea, weren't they?) still give people somewhere to post stuff they don't necessarily want to discuss, but just want to share.  It works well, I think. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 5:34 PM

Graham,

Take a look at something like this: http://www.reddit.com/r/InsightfulQuestions/comments/lu4f0/do_you_think_its_possible_to_live_in_a_consumer/ .

It's entirely possible to have deep discussions, and I would say moreso, for reasons already mentioned by AJ.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,140

There are some reporting Chrome-only posts:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/27894.aspx

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

I prefer SMF forums: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Machines_Forum

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Page 3 of 3 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS