Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The failure of classical liberals?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
850 Posts
Points 27,940
Eugene posted on Thu, Jan 26 2012 3:31 PM

Libertarianism is very appealing because of the liberty message and the non aggression principle. We can see the growth of libertarianism almost on a daily basis. More and more people listen and accept these ideas. 

But if that's the case today, then why didn't this happen 100 or 150 years ago with classical liberalism? Why weren't the classical liberals of the 19th century able to convince the public as we manage to convince the public today? Was the message different? Was it not as clearly defined as it is defined today? Was it more consequential than principled? Why did they fail and we (at least for the time being) succeed?

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Male
653 Posts
Points 13,185

internet.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Suggested by Autolykos

I'm glad someone else gave the obvious one word response, so that I might elaborate.

Eugene:
We can see the growth of libertarianism almost on a daily basis. More and more people listen and accept these ideas.  But if that's the case today, then why didn't this happen 100 or 150 years ago with classical liberalism?

1) Methods of communicating that message are much more abundant, much more accessible, much more far-reaching, and much more entertaining.

2) Because of improved methods of communicating, converts are more visible...that is, when someone has converted, it is much easier for more people to know about it.

[Why weren't the classical liberals of the 19th century able to convince the public] [as we manage to convince the public today?]

2nd bracket: See above

1st bracket: in large degree, they were (or one might say, they didn't have to...as the People generally agreed with Classically liberal positions).  Read the history of the Constitutional Convention and learn how difficult it was to even form a federal government...and how skeptical and uneasy people were...and how much reassurance had to be given before people would agree to such a thing and the states would ratify.

Classical liberal ideas are what gave birth to this country.  It's the whole reason it began in the first place.  People fought a war over it.  Rothbard even called his history of America Conceived in Liberty.  There weren't a whole lot of people who needed convincing.

Therefore, to answer your question: first off, we are able to reach more people, in less time, in a more appealing way...but your main problem is you're under the impression that the historical zeitgeist was the same as today's.  You're making the same mistake so many people do when pontificating prescriptions for how society should be organized...you're operating under the assumption that history essentially began whenever whatever policy you're familiar with (or more likely, subscribe to) began.  (In this case, you're simply projecting the current atmosphere into historical times.)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,010 Posts
Points 17,405

In short: Adolf was more appealing.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 100 Contributor
850 Posts
Points 27,940
Eugene replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 12:11 AM

Thank you for the answers and the link. I am watching it now.

You say that the atmosphere was different. It was in one sense, but it wasn't in another. The majority of people back then have supported the function of the government in maintaing slavery. I think that's the most horrible affront to liberty you could imagine. So were the classical liberals then really libertarians? I'm not so sure. Perhaps their message was different.

Top 500 Contributor
154 Posts
Points 3,150
Answered (Not Verified) GooPC replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:00 AM
Suggested by Autolykos

Classical liberals were also wrong. Hoppe points out that classical liberals had an incorrect understanding of the state, they believed that a state was capable of being limited, protecting property rights, and doing good. Hoppe has shown that the state is by definition a violator of property rights and will always work to promote an illiberal society.

To a significant degree, classical liberals didn't fail. The founders of America succeeded in implementing a Lockean, natural rights supporting government. Their success was their downfall. This liberal state was still a state, and a democratic one at that. Thus it eventually did what all states do: expand in power and promote anti-classical liberal ideas. 

Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Answered (Not Verified) Marko replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 8:09 AM
Suggested by Autolykos

Why weren't the classical liberals of the 19th century able to convince the public as we manage to convince the public today?

What are you talking about? 19th century liberals had way more electoral sucess than any libertarians and their ideas have been far more influential. 19th century was probably more the century of liberalism than of any other ideology.

The problem with liberals was they sold out, and also with time they got more and more confused. There were hordes of liberals you would not recognize as particularly freedom-minded at all.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 12:35 PM

The classical liberals lived during a time of much greater freedom than we have today and they were trying to sell an eschatological message: "Stop before it's too late!" Today, we've already arrived at "too late". That is, things are pretty close to being as bad as they can possibly be. So, it's no longer an abstract message.

We're saying something slightly different: "Remember what the classical liberals warned about? That's what's been going on for the last century or so and it's reached orgiastic levels in the last decade. So, now you can see with your own eyes that they were right all along. Perhaps the principles by which they arrived at such far-sighted conclusions deserve something better than the mockery and scorn heaped upon them by the Establishment's media and entertainment."

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
850 Posts
Points 27,940
Eugene replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 12:54 PM

Let me ask you this. If you had the hypothetical chance to ask a group of intellectual classical liberals what is their position on women's rights and slavery, what do you think they would have said? I'm not sure they would be against slavery or in favor of equalizing the rights of women and men. But I might be wrong.

Top 150 Contributor
533 Posts
Points 8,445

You would be wrong I think. I believe it was John Stuart Mill who was one of the first. However, I look at it more as the division of labor between men and women. I mean men were the ones that were conscripted into armies not women.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 50 Contributor
2,360 Posts
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sat, Jan 28 2012 2:09 PM

Clayton, we're assuming that freedom is subjectively valued by most members of the herd. What if centuries of domestication have bred cattle that actually prefer the familiarity and safety of the paddock to the uncertain world on the other side of the fence? What if they decided to stay inside the fence even when the paddock gates were left wide open for them? I mean the cows would literally die out there on their own. I've lost friendships with very intelligent people simply for suggesting that we may all be slaves. The reaction is almost physiological.

Top 50 Contributor
2,679 Posts
Points 45,110

@z1235

I'd be careful about suggesting that we all may be/are slaves to the state.  Most people picture blacks picking cotton on a plantation when they think of slavery.  If you want to bring it up, I suggest bringing up far more recent and obvious slave situations such as conscription and the fact that soldiers cannot quit their job like the rest of the population.  Or bring up eminent domain.  Stuff like that.  Let them make the connection about their own relationship to the state on their own.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS