Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** February 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 202 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Poor and dependent.  That's what they'd like...

‘Government Has Our Best Interests At Heart!’ Oh, Shut Up

This is simply unbelievable.

For a long time, a very wealthy friend of mine who is an extremely good money manager had been sharing his IRA portfolio, and every buy or sell action he took, with anyone who asked to be added to his email list. He is the kind of guy the EMH (efficient markets hypothesis) assures us cannot exist, who pretty consistently and very impressively beat the market. His lifetime return on the account is in excess of 40% annually, and that includes the years of the recent financial crisis.

So if you wanted to invest exactly the same way he was, you could easily do so.

Not anymore. Now the government has chosen to protect us from people like him. From his email to friends:

This list began many years ago and grew out of my desire to help others who are friends but are not professional investors.  The list started as...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

angry

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 11:08 PM

Ludwig von Mises's Letter to Rand on Atlas Shrugged

Funny line: I plead the Fifth, but if you get pushy with me I'll plead the Second.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stephen Coleman: The moral dangers of non-lethal weapons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31eYIhoMNQ
t
owards the end he references this as an example:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=20100627_12_0_ELRENO190369
"
Police officers here are being sued for using a Taser last December to subdue a disabled grandmother, then 86, in her apartment bed. "

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Since you probably won't hear about this anywhere else, there was actually a case going on in Georgia in which Obama's citizenship was being contested.  Obama actually had a lawyer and everything.  He was even subpoenaed.  Guess what happened when he skipped court?

Georgia Judge: “Barack Obama Is A Natural Born Citizen”

Courtroom play by play

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Tue, Feb 7 2012 11:42 PM

After listening to this interview, how much history do you think is nonsense?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 112
Points 2,025
Anton replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 2:08 AM

Epic post from Zero Hedge:

Believe In A Return To The Gold Standard? You Are Now Officially An Extremist According To The FBI

[...] From Reuters: "Anti-government extremists opposed to taxes and regulations pose a growing threat to local law enforcement officers in the United States, the FBI warned on Monday. These extremists, sometimes known as "sovereign citizens," believe they can live outside any type of government authority, FBI agents said at a news conference." And the most epic line ever written: "The extremists may refuse to pay taxes, defy government environmental regulations and believe the United States went bankrupt by going off the gold standard." [...]

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/889691-plain-clothes-police-officer-chases-himself-after-cctv-burglar-bungle

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Re: obama eligibility. I can't believe they used the already proven fraudulent birth certificate as evidence. Maybe someone just took a picture of it. It was found on the whitehouse website. Only to be proven as fake within the hour.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 1:50 PM

I’m not an adobe expert, but this piece disputes the video.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Did you watch all four parts ?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Jack Roberts:
Did you watch all four parts ?

There was an entire thread about this when it came out.  (Here's a playlist with the videos)

And it sounds to me like you didn't read the court proceedings.  It was entered into evidence so that the prosecution could have an expert say it was fake.  Obama's attorney didn't even show up.  Read the articles again.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

More voter fraud suspicions.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 220
Points 4,980
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Piers Morgan pissed me off again (I guess I saw his face somewhere) so I was happy to see these:

This article captures it perfectly.

And Carolla is just excellent.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

This is an interesting theory.  It would certainly make sense.  Obviously Romney has been smart enough from day 1 to at least understand it wouldn't be smart to go after Paul, if not actually realize he would need Paul's supporters to win a general election (or possibly even a nomination).  Paul has mentioned how his wife and Romney's wife have become friendly.  There has even been speculation and conspiracy theories that Paul and Romney are possibly working together, or at least prepping to make deals.

I'm wondering if some of those theories aren't so far off...at least as far as Romney is concerned.  I wouldn't be surprised if something like this was in the back of his mind all along as a possible necessity.

The only question from here is...will Ron Paul go for it?

GOP Strategist: Ron Paul Will Be on GOP Ticket

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Lyin' Larry is pretty pleased with himself:

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Teacher's union leader tells kids in failing school districts "Life isn't fair."

Chris Christie on NJEA: I Cannot Express How Disgusted I Am

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Ron Paul Winning the Battle for Delegates

"take a look at what has occurred in Colorado:

In one precinct in Larimer County, the straw poll vote was 23 for Santorum, 13 for Paul, 5 for Romney, 2 for Gingrich.  There were 13 delegate slots, and Ron Paul got ALL 13.

In a precinct in Delta County the vote was 22 for Santorum, 12 for Romney, 8 for Paul, 7 for Gingrich. There were 5 delegate slots, and ALL 5 went to Ron Paul.[...]"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Thu, Feb 9 2012 4:02 PM

"<slavery> is wrong even if you're not sure what will happen to the slaves if they're set free. Asking for "examples" of free slaves thriving is irrelevant." Larken Rose.

Just making a backup, because this quote seemed very cool to me.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Reader: The Economist is "libertarian"

(I actually found this because I was looking for a definition of "beltarian".  This was one of the first non-Rockwell/EPJ links that came up because of the comment:)

I think the better description for the Economist is "Beltarian". They sound libertarian, but really aren't. I'm a libertarian and stopped reading the Economist years ago because of their support for interventionist (i.e. not libertarian) policies.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

How Professor Steven Jones Became a Conspiracy Theorist

For most of his career, Steven Jones, a Brigham Young University physics professor, was known mainly for his work on muon-catalyzed fusion. He conducted his Ph.D. research at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (from 1974 to 1977), and post-doctoral research at Cornell University and the Los Alamos Meson Physics Facility.

In the fall of 2006, amid controversy surrounding his work on the collapse of the World Trade Center, he was relieved of his teaching duties and placed on paid leave from BYU. He retired on October 20, 2006 with the status of Professor Emeritus.

In the clip below, he talks about how he became a conspiracy theorist and what happened to his career.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

The very end made me laugh out loud.

John Stossel - Don't Know? Don't Vote!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Dr. Paul leading in Maine.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 11:06 AM

This morning, or afternoon, I wake up and come across this posted from the Mises FB page; The Pagan View...really?  As if it's not enough to use such a vague and broad blanket term like "pagan," but to have the audacity to write such an article as if one understands the said world view of whatever pagan religion they seem to be critiquing.  Sitting here as a "pagan" it's a bit frustrating and I feel it's on a level of intellectual dishonesty; but seeing how the original article was written in 1943 I don't know who to "bitch" at.  Why couldn't they title the article "The Religious View" at least?  Do "non-pagans" belief in faith, i.e., Christians?  I left a comment on the article and it seems a few people share the same view; that the article is...embarassing.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Yesterday the Nuclear Regulatory Commission approved the first new US nuclear reactor in more than 30 years. Finally. Irrational, technophobic fears of modern scientific developments belong into churches, not public policy. If everything those statists approve of was as safe as nuclear power, earth would have like 20 billion people.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Bert, did you post your comment in the comments section?  You should.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

This account lost at least 14 subscribers after this video was uploaded...

Romney: Gov't should encourage heterosexual relationships by offering exclusive benefits

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 10:09 PM

Bert, did you post your comment in the comments section?  You should.

Yeah, and before I even raised concern there were some others posting comments with the same sentiment that it was a rather poor quality article and the author has no knowledge of what he's writing about - it's pretty much a big strawman with nothing to back it up.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

RE Romney offering exclusive benefits for hetrosexual relationships.

Infomercial politics. If you buy now we will throw in this exclusive one of a time offer. haha.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Voter fraud in Maine.

They probably use Diebold.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 510
fbc91 replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 12:33 AM

"All commercial airline pilots from 1924 to 1963 were mandated to carry handguns, and were allowed, but not obligated, to carry up until 1979."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFbAj-75R-A

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Government is on your back no matter what business you're in evidently...

Pakistani man fights police over right to charge admission to view 40-foot shark

Page 2 of 6 (203 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS