Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** March 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 238 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 5:08 AM

I don't know, posting pictures sometimes just doesn't work. Anyway here is the link:

What people think Bernanke actually does.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

I think everyone should refer to Obama as Barack Hussein Obama II as people always refer to Dr. Paul as Ron Paul, I don't see why his full name should not be used and it may make people less likely to vote for him.

Barack Hussein Obama II reminds me of Mr.T who name is B. A. Baracus

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:06 AM

No 1st Amendment in the UK:

21-year old jailed for tweeting offensive comments about a black football player moments after he suffers cardiac arrest at a match.

news piece link

commentary link

Not the first time something like this has happened either. A 17-year old football fan was jailed last year for singing a "sectarian" song. Link

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 11:45 AM

Chyd3nius:

Ok, here's more pro-peak oil-stuff, I think this is kind of newer one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMWzjrRiBg&feature=player_embedded

And why are we interested in pro-peak oil stuff?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Race baiting congressman removed from floor (and CSPAN conveniently chooses a different camera angle)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

This is a story from 2005, but it's still a useful example of how the State will do whatever it can get away with...

If You Can't Argue the Facts...

[...] Shortly after the report was completed, Morning News reporter O'Neill filed a written request asking for it to be released. It was denied. O'Neill has sources in the right places, however, and got a copy anyway. The District Attorney's Office investigated how the reporter obtained the document but came up with nothing. Months later, attorney Dennis Lynch, paid $250 an hour by the county, said that the chief question is how the report got to The Dallas Morning News, though U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeff Kaplan wasn't inclined to go along.

"I am not prepared to incarcerate any reporters" in order to find out what happened, he said.

Having abjectly failed to keep the report buried, the county then tried to prevent the plaintiffs' lawyers from using its findings. After the plaintiffs' lawyers included it in an appendix to their suit, Figari & Davenport filed a motion asking the court to restore the privileged nature of the jail study and prevent the plaintiffs from referring to it. On Friday, July 22, Lynch argued in federal court that the jail study was the "work product" of the county. Work product is a legal term that refers to the research, opinions and strategy of a lawyer or party in a lawsuit that is exempt from discovery. The jail study should remain confidential, Lynch argued, because it was prepared in response to the looming Mims case.

As an interesting sidenote, I recently saw the film Nothing but the Truth, which tells the story of a reporter who does end up incarcerated by refusing to reveal a source.  It was incredibly angering.  This story helps counter that...especially since this one's true.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

"178 countries have national laws guaranteeing paid maternity leave. The exceptions include Swaziland, Papua New Guinea and the good ole United States of America."

You think discrimination against women in the workplace exists now...wait till the U.S. is taken of that exceptions list.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:51 PM

But equality! Surely the law of unintended consequences must bow down to equality!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 12:55 AM

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 12:56 AM

law of unintended consequences?  What the hell is that?  Some new legislation they just rammed through Congress, I bet.  Damn Republicans.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 1:16 AM

Some really incredible stuff by Ernst Juenger on the distinction between the Anarchist and the Anarch.

http://www.ernst-juenger.org/p/anarch-quotationszitaten.html#AN4

A good one: The anarch wages his own wars, even when marching in rank and file.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 12:53 PM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

@Clayton:

Awesome!

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:37 PM

New RP video (I found some nice things skipping around):

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:48 PM

Jargon, that's some interesting stuff from Junger.  I've been wanting to read Storms of Steel for some time.  The Wiki page for him places him as a pro-war crypto-fascist, but I've heard Storms of Steel actually paints a pretty good picture of making the reader anti-war.

For example,

Jünger glorified war as an internal event. According to Jünger, war elevates the soldier's life, isolated from normal humanity, into a mystical experience. The extremities of modern military techniques tested the capacity of the human senses.

But then,

His vision in The Glass Bees (1957, German title: Gläserne Bienen), of a future in which an overmechanized world threatens individualism, could be seen as science fiction.

And,

One of his most important literary contributions was the metahistoric figure of the Anarch (sovereign individual), which evolved from his earlier conception of the Waldgaenger, or Forest Fleer. The anarch is Jünger's answer to the question of survival of individual freedom in a totalitarian world. It is developed primarily through the character of Martin Venator in his novel Eumeswil.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:33 PM

Is he suggesting to drop taxes for US manufacturers by 20% and install a global minimum at the same time, because "American taxpayers shouldn't be providing a larger subsidy for investing abroad than investing at home"?  Can someone explain this. 

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 9:34 PM

That's what I'm wondering. Also, found this:

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

‘Democracy can’t be fixed. It’s inherently broken’

An Interview with ‘Beyond Democracy’ Co-Author Frank Karsten

The book is $0.99 for Kindle.

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 3:46 AM

The very interesting part starts at 2:25. South Caroline may legalize Gold and Silver as money and has formed a study committee about precious metals with very interesting conclusions.

Correction: I've gone a bit too far first. Of course PMs are not legalized yet in SC, but a bill that would allow PMs as legal money has advanced, so I've rephrased it above accordingly..

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 1:55 PM

Insanity:

Japan's 1,000-year-old warning

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 2:17 PM

@skylien: Utah beat them to it. But it's nice to see other states considering this.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 2:35 PM

8 Creepy Mystery Ingredients in Fast Food

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 4:00 PM

The anarch is to the anarchist , what the monarch is to the monarchist.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Is Olbermann still covering sports? I can't stand his voice.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

And now you know why I'm vegan. The state + Big Ag do everything they can to poison us.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 11:48 PM

Freedom4Me73986:

And now you know why I'm vegan. The state + Big Ag do everything they can to poison us.

Plants can have chemicals added to them as well; so, why do you avoid meat?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:

And now you know why I'm vegan. The state + Big Ag do everything they can to poison us.Plants can have chemicals added to them as well; so, why do you avoid meat?

Not wild plants. Big AG/GMO is poison and more reason I'm taking up primtiive skills. Meat in any form is awful for you.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 12:23 AM

Better yet, don't eat anything at all! That's the real way to remain pure. Big Ag and Big Meat have actually been spreading spores into the atmosphere of the planet for the past forty years, so actually all the food is poisoned with chemicals. It's all inedible and unnatural. Good call on not eating meat though. One time I saw a person eat meat and they were all energetic, athletic, and had their macronutritional ratios fulfilled, but they were really unhealthy because meat is poison. You should become a breathairian. It's the diet that the state doesn't want you to know about. You just breath air, and eventually your body gets used to it. Think about it, would the state ever let you think that you could just not buy their products? Of course not.

Land & Liberty

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Better yet, don't eat anything at all! That's the real way to remain pure. Big Ag and Big Meat have actually been spreading spores into the atmosphere of the planet for the past forty years, so actually all the food is poisoned with chemicals. It's all inedible and unnatural. Good call on not eating meat though. One time I saw a person eat meat and they were all energetic, athletic, and had their macronutritional ratios fulfilled, but they were really unhealthy because meat is poison. You should become a breathairian. It's the diet that the state doesn't want you to know about. You just breath air, and eventually your body gets used to it. Think about it, would the state ever let you think that you could just not buy their products? Of course not.

Did you read what I said? I'll still eat wild plants and perhaps plants grown locally through permaculture. Look up Big Ag and GMO and tell me then if that doesn't make you want to take up a wild, natural diet.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 1:41 AM

Did you read mine? You should open up your mind and take a less statist approach to things. Big Ag has already pumped the atmosphere with chemicals effecting all plant life. Plants being corrupted by statism is a given at this point. Look up chemtrails.

Land & Liberty

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Did you read mine? You should open up your mind and take a less statist approach to things. Big Ag has already pumped the atmosphere with chemicals effecting all plant life. Plants being corrupted by statism is a given at this point. Look up chemtrails.

I know perfectly well about chemtrails. But why do you think traces of chems on wild plants is worse then GMO?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 2:32 PM

Is Olbermann still covering sports? I can't stand his voice.

So I'm not the only one! God, there is something in his voice and elocution that is just irritating as hell.

Clayton -

Previous | Next
Page 6 of 6 (239 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS