Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The "Great Moderation" and Glass-Steagall

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 20
blakea89 posted on Tue, Mar 6 2012 3:18 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new on here, but I'm hoping to find some resources to further my work.

I'm trying to write a paper for my senior thesis at undergrad addressing the issues involved with a fractional reserve banking system. I'm constantly at odds with the department, as they are all Keynesians, and was hoping to find some resources on the most frequent criticism they have; that the "Great Moderation" that followed the ending of World War II and the passage of Glass-Steagall proves that there is stability within a fractional-reserve system with the proper amount of government regulation. I realize that this period coincides with the ending of the most devastating war the world had ever seen and that there was a great deal of inflation during this period, but are there other issues I can address? Or specifically, are there issues that Glass-Steagall would have prevented if it was still around during the current crisis? 

Thanks so much for the help.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Male
767 Posts
Points 11,240

Tom Woods has done a good job smacking down the Glass-Steagall red herrings. Link.

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS