Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Kony?

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:10 PM

Anyone know anything about this?

• | Post Points: 185
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:40 PM

Someone invited me to it on Facebook.  A link to a video.  id not watch it.  They too lazy to not even give a brief description does not deserve my awareness. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 64
Points 670
Runyan replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 11:29 PM

http://original.antiwar.com/bphillips/2011/10/18/americans-should-worry-about-obama-not-uganda/

The above link from antiwar gives a bit of backstory about Kony and Obomba's deployment of 100 troops to "“help” and “advise” in capturing Joseph Kony" back in Oct '11 (shades of Vietnam)  The cynic in me feels that the timing of the recent outcry against him shouldn't be any surprise.  Kony's crimes have been known and documented for quite sometime, so why now are the humanitarians so eager to sharpen their guillotines? This image currently trending on reddit is as good a guess as any:

http://i.imgur.com/K3mgn.jpg

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 5:44 AM

As my father said many years ago "Africa is the conscience of the world". Few things stir up the usually apathetic and sanctimonious Western public more than images of death, suffering and misery from Sub-Saharian Africa: dolphins being killed by Japanese whalers and baby seals clubbed by heartless Canadians are the only things beating them.

Regardless of who had the idea, they hit the proverbial jackpot. If the video is original Youtube will be paying them money and "going viral" has many other benefits (for example increased awareness resulting in increased contributions).

Personally I am not sold on the idea this is some obscure government conspirancy to build up consent for an intervention in Africa: France has been maintaing troops in various countries (Chad, Djibouti etc) and supplying weapons to various dictators and strongmen friends of democracy for decades now, often acting as a US proxy. After 9/11 the Pan-Sahel Initiative and its extensions tried to bring as many African countries as possible into the US orbit by providing them with weapons, training and hard cash. And we all know what they have been doing in Somalia for years now without even the pretension of asking our permission.

Of course there's the issue of Sudan but if the main driver was to deny China the oil (on which Chevron originally held rights but sold them back to the government in Khartoum in the '90s) it failed miserably: PetroChina and SinoPec hold the largest licenses well ahead of the two nearest Western competitors (Talisman of Canada and OMV of Austria) and are spending huge sums of money to improve infrastructures, for example by strengthening the pipeline going from the oilfields to Port Sudan. Splitting the country in half didn't hamper their activities: both countries desperately need cash and the Chinese have plenty of it.

Leaving aside full-blown government intervention the saga of Western involvement in Africa is a sorry one. NGO's often bicker among themselves about how to "aid" the locals and I've heard more than a passing rumor about missionaries creating even more confusion and unrest than already exists. In some areas villages have started to post sentinels to warn of the arrival of the "white trucks", the ubiquitous Toyota Land Cruisers favored by NGO's, which they see as harbingers of even more mayhem.

Yes, they really need more help. wink

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 4:44 PM

Another chance for the liberal morons to demonstrate that they care and flash their rightesnousses to the world. The documentary isn't even about Kony, it is all about what they must do. Wear bracelets and such.

Brendan O'Neil does a great job of constantly exposing this motive of the liberals, his latest such piece among many: link

Choice quotes from the piece:

"The liberal commentariat is on the hunt for a new mission, for another messy civil war that it can squeeze into a simplistic moral framework, for a new foreign field that it can transform into a soapbox from which to declare its unwavering commitment to the combat of "evil"."

"The real motivation behind the use of the historically illiterate "new Bosnia" tag is not accurate assessment of what is unfolding in Syria, but rather to cohere the currently crusade-less commentariat around a new foreign mission. They are desperate for a repeat of the Bosnia buzz of the early 1990s, when everyone from playwrights to pop stars to journalists-cum-warriors-against-the-Nazi-Serbs descended on Sarajevo to shed tears, swig whiskey, and pose for photos in front of tanks. It is really the self-serving moralising of the Bosnia period that is being reproduced;"

"In short, what these Bosniaheads really see in Syria is an opportunity to repeat the grandstanding they indulged in during the Yugoslav wars of the early 1990s, to demonstrate once more their own goodness by calling for "the world" to intervene on the side of "good" against "evil". They want to reduce Syria to a simple litmus test of the resolve and decency of Our Generation, just as they did the war in Bosnia."

They hunger for a joint mission. Ergo the bracelets and the posters and that crap. Tibet, Bosnia, Kosovo, Darfur, Libya, Syria, Uganda... They don't care which, just give them one!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 33
Points 1,140

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/us-news-blog/2012/mar/07/kony-2012-video-viral-invisible-children

Good article, as well.  

I was also a bit disgusted after I watched the vid.  Not only is war actually peace, it's now hip.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:38 PM

The Kony Kollection
At the beginning of the documentary we see Jason Russell tell a crowd of young people that they must STAND AGAINST WAR. By the end of the documentary, he advocates MILITARY INTERVENTION*. Perhaps we should think about this a little more deeply.
We Got Trouble - Kony 2012 Viewed Critically [Visible Children]
Joseph Kony is Not Uganda (And Other Complicated Things) [FP]
The Visible Problem with Invisible Children [Itlo]
Concerning Kony 2012 [SeetWeebly]
*‘Look What I Did’ responds to Invisible Children Organization [Gauntlet]
The IC Advocacy Campaign To Catch Kony [Justice in Conflict]
Stop Kony, Yes. But don’t stop asking questions [Independent.co.uk]
The Problems with ‘Stop Kony’ [The Atlantic Wire]
How Invisible Children Falsely Marketed The LRA Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recovery Act [Black Star News] When I confronted the administration of Invisible Children about this information, they stated in an email:“I agree with you that leading people to believe that the war is still happening in Uganda is not ethically right. It’s something we’ve been addressing internally, focusing on getting all staff and supporters on the same page in regards to the language they use in their communications.”

Charity Review:
“Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.”
On Kony2012 [DailyWhat]
Charity Review of Invisible Children [Better Business Bureau]
Commentary:
Innovate Africa [You Don’t Have My Vote]
Amber Ha [Kony 2012: Causing More Harm than Good]
Alexander Holzbach [Facts About Invisible Children and Kony 2012]
Shane Morris [This Has Been a Moment of Truth]
Shane Morris [I’m sorry, but I have to say this]
Adam Daze [Everyone jumping on the Kony bandwagon, listen up]
Michelle Hack Carr [I’m gonna be the dick nobody wants to hear]
Helen Hu [War, Debt, Oil]
Livingstone [From Uganda]
Erics Wanderings [Invisible Children and Joseph Kony]
Related Sources:
Obama Supported Child Soldiers Before He Was Against Them [AntiWar]
Neocolonial Scramble For Africa [Information Clearing House]
Resolve, Uganda: US President Obama’s strategy on the LRA [UgandaWatch]
Tracking Uganda’s Lords Resistance Army: The Regional Context [PatriotPost]
The Lords Resistance Army: End Game? [CrisisGroup]
Wikileaks on Lords Resistance Army [CableGate]
Lessons from Wkileaks on the LRA [Resolve.org]
The Solution?
Private Defense and Humanitarian Intervention
**Image: The Founders of Invisible Children posing with the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA). Who themselves have used child-soldiers. 
If you think a source has been missed let me know. Lastly, instead of Invisible Children and its “Kony 2012” Campaign, try these Charities.

The Kony Kollection

At the beginning of the documentary we see Jason Russell tell a crowd of young people that they must STAND AGAINST WAR. By the end of the documentary, he advocates MILITARY INTERVENTION*. Perhaps we should think about this a little more deeply.

Charity Review:

“Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.”

Commentary:

Related Sources:

The Solution?

**Image: The Founders of Invisible Children posing with the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA). Who themselves have used child-soldiers.

Lastly, instead of Invisible Children and its “Kony 2012” Campaign, try these Charities.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:27 AM

Kony Propaganda | by XOmniverse

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 1:41 PM

I have not watched the video, but it went viral really quick on social networking sites, and I'm rather suspicious about it all.  My girlfriend showed me some stuff about how it's propaganda or some false-flag type thing, something created by those looking for a distraction.  I never saw people this involved when I was doing GuluWalk to raise money for Uganda and the actual in depth and graphic documentaries on child warfare, so how did this video get so popular?

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:03 PM

Joseph Kony is not in Uganda (and Other Complicated Things) and Joseph Kony 2012: Growing Outrage in Uganda over Film.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 500

I made a quick reply to this Kony 2012 video, trying to point people towards Micro-loan sites like Kiva.org. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNF5IOohVHI

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

@CapitalistDog, that's a good video response.  I've shared it.  I've also just lent a Kenyan guy some money to buy farm inputs.

We should use this "Kony mania" as an opportunity to educate people about what really generates peace and prosperity, and how asking our governments to send "aid", weapons and "advisors" to assist the Ugandan government is not the best thing we can do to help out those Ugandan kids.

Here's Stefan Molyneux on this.  The boot on the neck analogy is pretty powerful.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 2:56 PM

For some reason, without doing much research, the micro-loan websites stimulate a great energy in me. It appears that you're directly helping people.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

Rap News delivers the goods (and so quickly!)...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

i still didnt understand what this Kony 2012 is.

Are they non governmental institution?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Mar 14 2012 11:41 PM

As I thought O'Neil produces the single best commentary on the matter: http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3886358.html

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 5:45 AM

Were are the solutions to the matter?

Because so far I take it I'm the only person on the web to put up anything close to it..

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Solutions to what?...the horrors of African warlords, or this ridiculous campaign and Western culture's sickening obsession with awareness?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Perhaps these people might listen to the Ugandans themselves?  Nah.  What would Ugandans featured in the film know about the suffering of Ugandans featured in the film?

First Ugandan screening of Kony film prompts angry scuffle

[...] one woman "made the comparison of selling Osama Bin Laden paraphernalia post 9/11 – likely to be highly offensive to many Americans, however well-intentioned the campaign behind it."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:30 AM

Kakugo:
Personally I am not sold on the idea this is some obscure government conspirancy to build up consent for an intervention in Africa: France has been maintaing troops in various countries (Chad, Djibouti etc) and supplying weapons to various dictators and strongmen friends of democracy for decades now, often acting as a US proxy. After 9/11 the Pan-Sahel Initiative and its extensions tried to bring as many African countries as possible into the US orbit by providing them with weapons, training and hard cash. And we all know what they have been doing in Somalia for years now without even the pretension of asking our permission.

Of course there's the issue of Sudan but if the main driver was to deny China the oil (on which Chevron originally held rights but sold them back to the government in Khartoum in the '90s) it failed miserably: PetroChina and SinoPec hold the largest licenses well ahead of the two nearest Western competitors (Talisman of Canada and OMV of Austria) and are spending huge sums of money to improve infrastructures, for example by strengthening the pipeline going from the oilfields to Port Sudan. Splitting the country in half didn't hamper their activities: both countries desperately need cash and the Chinese have plenty of it.

Apparently South Sudan and Uganda are sitting on piles of fossil fuels (oil and natural gas). I, for one, think the people who made this video about Kony are being viewed as "useful idiots" by the people who are hoping to laugh all the way to the proverbial bank.

Oh, and in answer to why this particular video has gone viral: celebrity endorsements. That should tell you everything.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 767
Points 11,240
Hard Rain replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:29 PM
The astute Charlie Brooker exposes the creepy, messianic background of the creators of the film...
"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Now we're talkin....

(funny you should use the word "creepy")...

Police pick up "Invisible Children" co-founder

NBCSanDiego.com is reporting that Jason Russell, one of the co-founders of Invisible Children, makers of last week's viral Kony 2012 video, was detained in Pacific Beach, Calif., on Thursday, after he was found masturbating in public, vandalizing cars and possibly under the influence of something, according to Lt. Andra Brown, who said Russell was acting very strange.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I just heard about this on Facebook. I guess he wasn't wasn't invisible.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 7:49 PM

Wow. I may have my tinfoil hat on here, but something about this whole thing just doesn't sit right with me.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 2:39 PM

So the ideators were after some quick cash by exploiting the public's gullibility (or guilt or whatever)? I wasn't too far off the mark.

But I do agree with you Autolykos. Celebrity endorsement or not there's something very strange with the whole affair.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 3:06 PM

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 5:26 PM

A giant shocker:

US sends troops to Uganda to combat LRA.

6 months later:
lazy thinkers proclaim 'it is all about oil'.

Gee thank god there is oil (and other natural resources) in the world. Otherwise gazillions of democrats, and apparently some libertarians, wouldn't have an instant, ready-made explanation for every war and troop deployment out there, but would, if they wished to know what they were about, actually have to invest time and effort into studying them and comprehend concepts that are beyond the level of 6 year olds. Thank god the oil keeps it simple!

Here's a suggestion, if you only found out about the Uganda deployment from a youtube video, months after it had begun, then being self-satisfied you have it all cleverly figured out (as the image maker is) just makes you look stupid.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 1:36 PM

Marko, why you gotta be a buzz kill?  Can't we have fun with pictures people reblog on Tumblr?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I realize this is kind of old news now, but I thought this one from the Daily Bell was a nice overview, and deserved to be included in the comprehensive collection of resources this thread has become...

Winning

Saturday, March 17, 2012 – by Anthony Wile

We track dominant social themes here at the Daily Bell, and the spectacular implosion of the "Stop Kony 2012" campaign is a further example of how these memes are disintegrating under the pressure of what we call the Internet Reformation.

We commented on this in this past week, in "Kony 2012 Debunking Shows How Far Alternative Media Has Come." But we wrote that article before the spectacular implosion of the "artistic creator" of the video, who apparently had a nervous breakdown due to the reception of the video and was sent to a psychiatric facility.

I am not one to rejoice at this sort of thing. In fact, it is a personal and familial tragedy for the person involved, obviously. On the other hand, the video itself was fairly despicable, in my view, and obviously and evidently the intention was to create a power elite meme.

This is not idle speculation. Alternative media reports may have firmly fixed the producers of the video, "Invisible Children," within the larger framework of the State Department and its infamous AYM sponsorship.

The "youth movements" that the power elite has assiduously cultivated over the past decade or more are responsible for destabilizing numerous countries around the world now.

The Invisible Children non-profit seems to me to be firmly entrenched within this Intel paradigm. No doubt, if their funding stream is analyzed closely it will emerge that various strands of support lead back to elite foundations and personalities.

What was the meme? It was to create a groundswell of support for a kind of neo-colonialist attack on Africa. Some of what is intended has been clearly elucidated now by alternative media and some has not. [...]

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 8:35 PM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 10:23 AM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 11:12 AM

I should have known this existed, but I hadn't even heard...apparently there's footage of the filmmaker going crazy...

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/16/jason-russell-video-naked-meltdown-kony/

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Page 1 of 1 (38 items) | RSS