Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Aristotle and Wittgenstein

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection Posted: Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:09 PM

This may sound stupid and basic to most - but I realize my head is totally muddled right now on this aspect of thinking.

Can someone explain to e the differences between Aristotlian laws of Identity and non contradiction and the Wittgenstenian concept of Atomic Fact?

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185

The big difference would be metaphysical.  Aristotle was talking about Reality, Wittgenstein was talking about reality-within-the-limits-of-language. 

To Witt, identity and non-contradiction were probably atomic facts because we can never meaningfully express their negations.

To Aristotle, identity and non-contradiction were laws of reality because their negations could never even exist.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Cool thanks.  Thatt makes sense - it's been so long since I read them in earnest, I tend to get them mixed up. 

So I guess I am a bit more of an Aristotelian, as I don't see the concept of "atomic fact" working outside of syllogisms that must exist - such a thing can't be negated, right?

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS