Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Walking Dead Hierarchical Structure

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500
triknighted Posted: Fri, Mar 16 2012 8:40 PM

I know this is abstract to bring up and related to fiction, but has anybody noticed how quickly the monarchy was established on The Walking Dead? I say monarchy because by taking Rick's hat and by the way Shane talked up to Carl, Shane's son is clearly #1 (2nd in command).

I'm new here, but I can tell many of you are open minded and highly individualistic. If a calamity happened and you were with a small group of people you had never previously known, say the cast in The Walking Dead for the sake of simplicity, how would you go about organization? Would there be law?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 458
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 11:27 PM

That show has turned into crap, imo. But, there would be little need for law and none for hierarchy. People's goals, in that sort of situation, will align quite nicely. Even when they don't, people tend to look for ways to deal with disagreements without violent conflict.

One of the show's flaws is how it so poorly represents how people would behave in that situation. There are many other flaws. I stopped watching.

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - Mencken

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 9:28 AM

I say monarchy because by taking Rick's hat and by the way Shane talked up to Carl, Shane's son is clearly #1 (2nd in command).

Shane doesn't have a son.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

Marko:

I say monarchy because by taking Rick's hat and by the way Shane talked up to Carl, Shane's son is clearly #1 (2nd in command).

Shane doesn't have a son.

Good call, meant Rick.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 6:25 PM

I don't see it. Shane talks to Carl how he does because 'I'm a better father to your child than you are' is his shtick and part of how he rationalizes his claim to Rick's wife.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 254
Points 5,500

Marko:

I don't see it. Shane talks to Carl how he does because 'I'm a better father to your child than you are' is his shtick and part of how he rationalizes his claim to Rick's wife.

Shane is fucked up. That's why they killed him off. He was too loose a canon. I wish Dale had shot him in the leg like he shot Otis.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
bugmenot replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 1:44 PM

That show has turned into crap, imo. But, there would be little need for law and none for hierarchy. People's goals, in that sort of situation, will align quite nicely. Even when they don't, people tend to look for ways to deal with disagreements without violent conflict.

One of the show's flaws is how it so poorly represents how people would behave in that situation. There are many other flaws. I stopped watching.

The comic book is better but I still enjoy the TV show. i think it's naive to think people wouldn't act like that during a crisis..we don't need Zombies to show this..look at Katrina, the London Riots for example..look at any intercity gang-infested neighborhood..example in Tennessee they have a gang called Brown Pride who would randomly attack and shoot people just for fun or if you looked at them the wrong way. my point is during an apocalypse people like that will still exist and if they act that bad with a  functioning society and government what makes you think they won't be the same or worse in an apocalypse

Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 1,135

The show or graphic novel?  In the graphic novel it is more akin to a democratic an-cap society.  He is the identified leader, but people have their input and are free to leave, it's coming into the group that is difficult.

A better example of a monarchy in a post apocolyptic world is the novel "Lucifers Hammer" about an asteroid strike. I reccomend it as it is highly detailed in how this society will function.

Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 1,135

**********SPOILER WARNING*********

I just finished the whole series in the graphic novels and I can tell you it is not favorable to government. Like I noted above Rick is a reluctant leader and only fills the position b/c people ask him to. All of the political leaders they meet have serious character flaws. The Governor is a psycho sadistic rapist who uses gladiator style fights to keep the people in his town distracted (bread and circus). He also is very ambitious in territorial conquest and attacks the main group at there prison/village. Later in the series the group comes to a community that is relatively "normal",but even their leader Douglas has some serious flaws. He takes everyones weapons to keep them safe but it ends up back-firing when zombies attack and no one can defend themselves. He places people in jobs he thinks they'll be good at, and the ones he feels are most expendable get the most dangerous. He puts all the attractive women in positions close to him and even murders a man to get the leadership position. The last issue in the series is pretty much Rothbard's theory on the advent of the state. A peaceful farming community is threatened by a man named Nagel  to give them half of their supplies to leave them alone. Nagel then forces a man to assasinate the farm communities leader and I'm assuming it's to throw it into a panic to make conquest easier. This issue also contains the most An-Cap aspect b/c this community pays Rick's group to take Nagel's out. It is not an overtly libertarian work but it's most definetaly not statist propoganda.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS