Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Great Learn Liberty lecture - "Do We Need Government?"

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous Posted: Sat, Mar 17 2012 6:15 PM

Quite nice, actually. It presented me with some arguments I hadn't heard before and which were great things to think about:

His book is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Anarchy-Law-Political-Economy-Choice/dp/1412805791

And a review of the book:

http://www.peterleeson.com/anarchyandthelaw.pdf

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

My gut has been fucking wrentched by the questions section. I want to bash my head against a wall repeatedly. This guy was polite, almost to his detriment. Overally though, a very informative lecture.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 9:24 AM

I haven't yet seen the qeustions.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 28
Points 755

I know. It's so defeating when you hear absolutely idiotic things comming from peoples' mouths. But try to think of it as an opportunity to engage somebody in something they haven't considered before. One of my classmates was reading Das Kapital by Marx the other days (egh), but I managed to turn it into a productive conversation. I'm sure I didn't change her mind, but I probably exposed her to a new perspective. A little politeness, civility, and engagement can go a long way. After all, I used to be one of those ignorant people.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,310
Heather replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 12:08 PM

I showed this video and Grahams "Law Without Government" to the guy that controls Judge Napolitano's Facebook page and he posted Grahams! The Judge has 145,252 FB followers. 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

A little politeness, civility, and engagement can go a long way. After all, I used to be one of those ignorant people.

Definitely agree, for the most part. In general, my theory is to enter the conversation with utmost politeness, and from then on, reflect an attitude similar to that of your opponent. To tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure the speaker had more to say then he did (in terms of rebuttals, but I could be wrong), and I thought he would have benefitted from pushing their buttons a little. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS