Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

KahnAcademy gets it WRONG on Austrian Business Cycle Theory

This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 28
Points 755
SirTenenbaum Posted: Tue, Mar 20 2012 7:31 PM

Kahn Academy is an education initiative begun by Salman Kahn. Kahn Academy has made 1000's of good videos about math, science, and videos about economics and finance. Kahn Academy's youtube channel put out a video about Austrian Business Cycle Theory today, and I was really excicted. But when I watched the video, I was so disappointed. The video does not represent ABCT correctly and misses the most important and basic points of the theory. Here's the link to the video: http://youtu.be/aQD_pxNg81k

If you feel so compelled, please watch the video and send a message to the channel telling them that the video was wrong so they can hopefully change it. Maybe write a comment on the video too if you like. Here's the message I wrote to the channel (did I do a good job?):

Dear KhanAcademy,

While I'm glad you made a video about Austrian Business Cycle Theory, it was actually not quite correct and entirely missed the essence of the the theory.

The criticism made by the theory according to the video is that central bankers' monetary policy reactions are delayed. This is not true. The criticism made by ABCT is that the monetary policy tools themselves cause the business cycle. 

Savings is a primary factor in ABCT, but they were not mentioned in the video. In a nutshell, savings represent a pool of resources that can be used for investment in an economy. When the amount of savings rises, banks have more loanable funds which causes interest rates to fall. These lower interest rates allow entrepreneurs to engage in long-term investment projects that would have been too costly at a higher interest rate. These projects are sustained by the pool of real resources that have been saved, and sustainable economic growth is achieved. If people don't save, interest rates are higher which discourage investment. This is a good thing because the pool of real resources could not sustain many investment projects, and the higher interest rate encourage savings which can then lead to lower interest rates and sustainable investments.

However, when a central bank floods the market with newly printed money to lower interest rates, the pool of real resources has not changed. Long-term investment projects are undertaken because of the low interest rate, but there are not enough resources to sustain the projects because there was no increase in savings/the pool of real resources. As resources are consumed by the new investment projects, prices rise and make the investment projects more costly. As the entrepreneurs look for more loans to cover their now costlier projects, the loanable funds dwindle and cause interest rates to rise. Soon enough, the unsustainable investment projects (malinvestments) are exposed for what they are, and they must be liquidated. This is the recession which comes from an artificial increase in credit through the printing of money (or fractional reserve banking) and not through savings.

I didn't mention consumer time preference or the structure of production and how they are coordinated with savings, interest rates, and investment, but I believe I explained important parts of the theory. I suggest looking up an explanation of the ABCT by Dr. Tom Woods on youtube. He has very good explanations. Here is a good, quick video that is about 8 minutes long: http://youtu.be/5K4Os5eXPw4

I hope you take this into consideration and correct/expound upon what was presented in the first ABCT video. If not, many people will misunderstand ABCT, which is not the aim of KahnAcademy. Thank you.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:04 PM

Oh, he made a video on it? That's interesting.

Right now the link you gave gives a 'This video has been removed by the user'.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 28
Points 755

Oh, how odd. The video no longer appears on his channel. It must have been taken down. That's quite bizarre. This literally happened about a half hour after I sent my message. Surely, the video wasn't taken down because of my message or comments (although my ego would like to think it was). Well, I guess we don't have to worry about this. Weird.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 8:18 PM

I imagine he got more critical responses and decided to (attempt to) redo it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Nielsio:
I imagine he got more critical responses and decided to (attempt to) redo it.

I'm sure that's what happened.  Great catch, SirTenenbaum!

At least it points to Khan being interested in presenting accurate information.  But I love how quickly the takedown took place.  That just shows how quick the backlash response was from the Austrian community.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

Somebody snagged it while it was up and reposted it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ami32DSMpJM

Indeed, quite a few misconceptions.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 145

Khan commented to someone who asked him why he took it down. His reply was

Thought it would be better to build up to it. Also separate the conversation of the weaknesses of central banks and fractional reserve banking from the explanation of the Austrian Business Cycle Theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mUi9IZb4T4

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 28
Points 755

I'm afraid I don't understand Kahn's explantaion. :/

(And yeah, it's awesome how quick the takedown was. There must be a lot of Austrians out there! Woohoo!)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:13 PM

Sounds like he just got embarassed. Anyways, the primary weakness of central banks lies within the ABCT, so what good is it to seperate the topics.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 1:05 AM
A good blog always comes-up with new and exciting information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a good oneislamic knowledge
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I tried to watch the video using that link and got a frown face with this message:

"Austrian Business Cycle The..." 
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including: 

• xxxdonutzxxx "Latest UFO Sightings"
  • xxxdonutzxxx "Latest UFO Sightings"
  • NDestinationUnknown
Sorry about that.

So, now I'm all frown

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 145

I think he took it down under the impression that Khan is going to do a video series that does a better job representing the ABCT.

There were several comments that were telling this guy to take it down since it was not accurate (which is why Khan took the video down in the first place).

That is my take on the situation.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yeah, that's what happens when someone posts something that someone else doesn't like...and would rather not have on youtube.  They just make a couple of copyright claims and the video gets pulled...and sometimes the account gets blocked altogether.

It's a fairly easy form of censorship.  That's why you tend to see mirrors for controversial videos.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I'm just disappointed that I didn't get to see it.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You know what they say...once it's out there, it's out there forever.  Ignoramus can't hide from this one.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Nicely done, John James!

Well, he was right when he said that he was sure he was mispronouncing "Mises." He sounds like he read the first chapter of Human Action and then just started saying "human actors" here and there to make it sound like he knew what he was talking about. I'm wondering if there will be a video critque released soon by anyone so willing?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I doubt he even opened Human Action.  Sounds to me like he just heard a few things hear and there, and then extrapolated on his own to fill in the holes.  At most, maybe he read a Wikipedia entry or two and the 2 paragraphs-worth of info compiled from a locker full of mainstream textbooks.

As far as a critique, I don't really see a need, as evidently comments were all it took, and he almost immediately took the video down.  Again, as mentioned earlier, he claims it was a timing thing, and he took it down because he "thought it would be better to build up to it"...but I'd bet you anything that video will never get re-uploaded to that Khan account.  He'll redo it for sure.  Hell, he might even read an actual Austrian source before making it this time!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 468
Points 8,085
Wibee replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 7:12 PM

KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS