Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Using the Internet to proclaim being anti-tech

rated by 0 users
This post has 83 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Freedom4Me73986 Posted: Sat, Mar 24 2012 3:55 PM

[split from *** March 2012 low content thread ***]

Google plans to spy on your phone calls

Yet another reason why I'm anti-tech. I killed by cell phone months ago and never looked back.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 10:09 AM

Freedom4Me73986:
Yet another reason why I'm anti-tech.

Guess you better get rid of that computer you're looking at right now and "never look back".

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:

Guess you better get rid of that computer you're looking at right now and "never look back".

So what? Technology is a tool of the state to enslave us and you know this is true by the way the gov. uses it to spy on us. We'd be better off w/o it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 5:28 PM

So what? Technology is a tool of the state to enslave us and you know this is true by the way the gov. uses it to spy on us. We'd be better off w/o it.

I wish I could make a .gif of my expression right now.  It's not just a Facepalm, it's an entire collaboration of "wtf?"

Technology is a tool for anyone who uses it, that's what tools are, they are used to people - they are the means.  The gov't uses technology just like how anarchists use technology, and just like how Anonymous uses technology to take down gov't servers the gov't uses it to search for them.

Thing with you is that you're a huge hypocrite who says a lot of talk, but can never own up to what you say.  If we're better off without it, then stop using it right now.  People do it every day, half the world doesn't have what "we" have, and it wasn't til recently in our human development we had what we have now, so clearly you'll live.  People do this everyday, but you're too busy trolling yourself to do anything.  It's the defining difference between yourself and people like Thoreau and McCandless who went out and lived "off the grid," they actually did it compared to telling everyone that's what people should do.  Thoreau wrote an awesome book about it that made him a well respected author, McCandless died and had a book and movie made about him, you post about it on a Mises forum while people laugh at you.  See what I'm getting at here?

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Freedom4Me73986:
Freedom4Me73986:

"So what"?  So do it already.  Stop using the damn computer.  Stop using the Internet and stop posting here.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

I wish I could make a .gif of my expression right now.  It's not just a Facepalm, it's an entire collaboration of "wtf?"

Technology is a tool for anyone who uses it, that's what tools are, they are used to people - they are the means.  The gov't uses technology just like how anarchists use technology, and just like how Anonymous uses technology to take down gov't servers the gov't uses it to search for them.

Thing with you is that you're a huge hypocrite who says a lot of talk, but can never own up to what you say.  If we're better off without it, then stop using it right now.  People do it every day, half the world doesn't have what "we" have, and it wasn't til recently in our human development we had what we have now, so clearly you'll live.  People do this everyday, but you're too busy trolling yourself to do anything.  It's the defining difference between yourself and people like Thoreau and McCandless who went out and lived "off the grid," they actually did it compared to telling everyone that's what people should do.  Thoreau wrote an awesome book about it that made him a well respected author, McCandless died and had a book and movie made about him, you post about it on a Mises forum while people laugh at you.  See what I'm getting at here?

Freedom4Me73986:
 Freedom4Me73986:

"So what"?  So do it already.  Stop using the damn computer.  Stop using the Internet and stop posting here.

If you don't like the state then leave.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 10:48 PM

Freedom4Me73986:

If you don't like technology, then stop using shoes; the state can use the shoe prints to track you down.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

If you don't like technology, then stop using shoes; the state can use the shoe prints to track you down.

False analogy.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Sun, Mar 25 2012 11:34 PM

Freedom4Me73986:

False analogy.

Please explain.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 12:04 AM

Ignore him.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:

False analogy.

Please explain.

Shoes werent created for the main purpose of keeping people in control. The state uses the internet to spy on everyone.

Now the gov is teaming up w/ Google and Microsoft to spy on you via your phones and skype. Tech is an evil thing.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 12:35 AM

Freedom4Me73986:
Shoes werent created for the main purpose of keeping people in control.[...]

Google, Microsoft, phones, and Skype weren't created for the main purpose of keeping people in control.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:

Google, Microsoft, phones, and Skype weren't created for the main purpose of keeping people in control.

How would you know?

Take a look at how much the gov subsidizes the tech industries and ask yourself if these industries aren't connected to gov interests in some way.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:28 AM

Leave what?  The country?  If I didn't like the country, I'd leave the country, but I have no qualms with this land.  If I don't like the state, I'd in anyway possible, whether it be through the way I live or through informing others that you don't need it to live, make an impression to show it's not necessary, which I do.  It's what I'm doing, I "fight" or "resist" it in my own way like we all do.  You are anti-tech and are on a computer all the time.  You constantly use what you speak out against.

(Are you suggesting in a literal sense I leave the state?  When was I ever with the state?  Besides living in a geographical area known as a "state," did I ever work for the government/state?)

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Leave what?  The country?  If I didn't like the country, I'd leave the country, but I have no qualms with this land.  If I don't like the state, I'd in anyway possible, whether it be through the way I live or through informing others that you don't need it to live, make an impression to show it's not necessary, which I do.  It's what I'm doing, I "fight" or "resist" it in my own way like we all do.  You are anti-tech and are on a computer all the time.  You constantly use what you speak out against.

(Are you suggesting in a literal sense I leave the state?  When was I ever with the state?  Besides living in a geographical area known as a "state," did I ever work for the government/state?)

I'm applying your own logic to you. If your against the state why don't you leave the state? It's the same thing. I am anti-state and anti-civ and I don't see why I have to leave both right now.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 9:42 AM

Well can you leave the forum instead?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 12:47 PM

Freedom4Me73986:

Freedom4Me73986:

How would you know?

You can read about their histories.

Take a look at how much the gov subsidizes the tech industries and ask yourself if these industries aren't connected to gov interests in some way.

You said, "created for the main purpose". The onus is on you to prove that Google, Microsoft, phones, and Skype were created for the main purpose of keeping people in control.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 5:28 PM

I'm calling F4M out on this and to lay out his reasoning for his position, I also suggest he answers any questions put forth and doesn't avoid them like every other thread when someone's unveiled his contradictions.

Either you are anti-tech because, 1) technology is a tool used for various means, good and bad, but was not created with bad intentions, or you believe 2) that technology is inherently bad and against the individual and serves no purpose to help humanity.

You are also anti-civ because you believe, 1) society and culture is bad because it relies on interdependence of individuals and the division of labor to coexist together, 2) civ has some bad qualities and you feel the fallibility makes it inherently bad without redemption, or 3) civilization is always bad and against the individuals full development.

It's most like choices 2 for tech and 3 for civ in your case.  If this is true, explain why the world around us is bad without redemption and we should (as humanity) immediately rely on a non-technological (without tools and advancements) age that would resort to half the world's population dying off, and why all these advancements in science and industry are hampering our development, and how any bad qualities outweigh the good.

Explain (don't post a bunch of videos either, I have a shoddy connection so I won't be watching them, so explain in your own words).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I'm well past the "explain yourself" phase.  It's been obvious for the better part of a year now he can't and won't.  All I ask is that Freedom4Me73986 attempt to redeem at least a little dignity and actually be logically consistant and do what he claims he wants to do.

Get off the Internet, get rid of the computer, and go live in the woods.  No one here is even remotely moved by any of Freedom4Me73986's self-trolling and idiotic videos that I never click on.  You will never convince anyone here of any of your nonsense, and if you truly believe in the kind of individualism that you claim to, there is no reason for you to constantly be trying to convince other people to want to live in the woods with you.

You don't need us, and we don't want you.  So away, be independent already, and live in the woods by yourself.  We will not bother you.  Go.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 6:00 PM

Does anyone watch his videos?  I assume not.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

when someone's unveiled his contradictions.

How is it any more contradictory then living inside a state while proclaiming to be anti-state?

Either you are anti-tech because, 1) technology is a tool used for various means, good and bad, but was not created with bad intentions, or you believe 2) that technology is inherently bad and against the individual and serves no purpose to help humanity.

I'm anti-tech because tech is used primarily as an instrument to keep us in control. There's a huge reason why the gov is actively involved in creating new technology. What other reason would it have?

You are also anti-civ because you believe, 1) society and culture is bad because it relies on interdependence of individuals and the division of labor to coexist together, 2) civ has some bad qualities and you feel the fallibility makes it inherently bad without redemption, or 3) civilization is always bad and against the individuals full development.

I'm anti-civ because civ is collectivist by its very nature, leads to the creation of states and poisons us. Take a look at how much healthier, happier and non-aggressive hunter-gatherers are than us. Primitive people are also way freer. 

I want to leave civ and homestead in the woods. I want to be 100% self-sufficient. What's wrong with that?

It's most like choices 2 for tech and 3 for civ in your case.  If this is true, explain why the world around us is bad without redemption and we should (as humanity) immediately rely on a non-technological (without tools and advancements) age that would resort to half the world's population dying off, and why all these advancements in science and industry are hampering our development, and how any bad qualities outweigh the good.

Why should I care about others esp. when it's not in my interest to? People will never do anything against their interest unless they're forced to. If they want to learn survivalist skills and primitive living then let them. Why should I go out of my way for anyone but myself?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 10:18 PM

Freedom4Me73986:
Why should I go out of my way for anyone but myself?

You shouldn't.  So stop trying to convince us.  Stop posting here.  Go live in the woods.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Stop posting here.

Why do i need to leave? b/c I'm anti-tech? By that logic why don't you leave the state?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,520

Yeah man you need to stop... just stop. your post and videos are pointless. You're anti tech yet use technology to post your bs points? Thats live marxist bitching about property rights while sitting in their house, in their room, on their computer, through their blog... Here i'll give you one ada boy... i like the FSP... now please go.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Mar 26 2012 11:21 PM

Freedom4Me73986:
Why do i need to leave?

Because you have no usefulness here.  You are not wanted here.  You have no reason to be here.

You said yourself "Why should I go out of my way for anyone but myself?".  I agreed with you.  You shouldn't.  Yet that seems to be all you do here.  Virtually every post you make is some attempt to espouse your moronic views.  No one here is listening.  No one here cares.  You're only annoying people.

So why should you continue to go out of your way for anyone but yourself?  Let alone people who are not interested in anything you have to say, and actually resent you for continuing to do so?

I say again, you shouldn't.  You should leave.  Especially when you claim to prefer to not be using technology and participating in "civ" anyway.

You claim you'd rather not be using technology, you'd rather be off in the woods, and you don't see a reason for going out of your way for anyone but yourself.  Everyone here would rather you not be using technology, would rather you be off in the woods, and doesn't see a reason for you continuing to be here.

So go off to the woods.  Let us be.  Leave us to suffer the consequences of not being primitivists.  You should not be going out of your way to convince us of anything.  You said so yourself.  So go.  If you need the extra push, I'm sure a mod will be more than happy to ban your account for you so that you will not be tempted to log back in.  Go to your woods.  We will not bother you.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

And all you've ever done is made ad hom attacks. Why should it matter if I'm still living in civ if I'm against civ and its collectivist/statist nature? Your living in statism when you claim to be anti-state. How is that any different?

You need to understand where the anti-civ, anti-tech position grows out of. You need to understand the connection of the rise of statism to the rise of civilization and why the only anti-state societies were w/o civ or agriculture. You also need to understand how living in civilization poisons us and enables the state to control/poison us.

Have fun drinking water full of fluoride, eating GMO food full of MSG and preservatives, injecting yourself with vaccines full of mercury and antifreeze, using radiation causing cell phones and being spied on by the gov and corporations through phones, skype and the internet. Also have fun watching society be dumbed down by gov.-mandated education and the economy crash for good b/c of worthless dishonest fiat currency.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 10:56 AM

Freedom4Me73986:
And all you've ever done is made ad hom attacks.

Even if that were true (it's not, but even if it were), it's irrelevant.  Let's just suppose for the sake of argument I'm the worst person ever.  Now that that's out of the way, why are you here?

Why do you continue to attempt to persuade people who do not want to listen to you and do not want you around?  AGAIN, you said it yourself: why should you continue to go out of your way for anyone but yourself?  Once again, you shouldn't.  Leave.

You also need to understand how living in civilization poisons us and enables the state to control/poison us.

Then you shouldn't stay here any longer.  You could easily leave civilization.  You have no reason to continue to stay and be poisoned.  Leave.

Have fun drinking water full of fluoride, eating GMO food full of MSG and preservatives, injecting yourself with vaccines full of mercury and antifreeze, using radiation causing cell phones and being spied on by the gov and corporations through phones, skype and the internet. Also have fun watching society be dumbed down by gov.-mandated education and the economy crash for good b/c of worthless dishonest fiat currency.

I will.  I would tell you to have fun living in the woods, but you obviously don't want to do that.  You want to remain here, with me and all the fluoride.  If I'm wrong, and you actually do want to go live in the woods, then prove me wrong and go live in the woods.  Leave.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 3:26 PM

someone went full insane.. that's what anarchism does to people, kids.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:
And all you've ever done is made ad hom attacks.

Even if that were true (it's not, but even if it were), it's irrelevant.  Let's just suppose for the sake of argument I'm the worst person ever.  Now that that's out of the way, why are you here?

Why do you continue to attempt to persuade people who do not want to listen to you and do not want you around?  AGAIN, you said it yourself: why should you continue to go out of your way for anyone but yourself?  Once again, you shouldn't.  Leave.

Why am I here? Why not? How can I become self-sufficient enough to live outside of civilization in a day?

You also need to understand how living in civilization poisons us and enables the state to control/poison us.

Then you shouldn't stay here any longer.  You could easily leave civilization.  You have no reason to continue to stay and be poisoned.  Leave.

I can't easily leave civ any more then you can easily leave the state.

I will.  I would tell you to have fun living in the woods, but you obviously don't want to do that.  You want to remain here, with me and all the fluoride.  If I'm wrong, and you actually do want to go live in the woods, then prove me wrong and go live in the woods.  Leave.

And you haven't answered anything I've said.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 12:37 AM

Freedom4Me73986:
Why am I here? Why not?

Because you have no reason to stay and every reason to leave.  That's why not.  Leave.

How can I become self-sufficient enough to live outside of civilization in a day?

It's been at least 6 months.  Leave.

I can't easily leave civ any more then you can easily leave the state.

Yes you can.  Go into the woods.  Don't come back.  Done.

You watnt to be there.  We want you to be there.  Leave.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 12:43 AM

Freedom4Me73986:
How can I become self-sufficient enough to live outside of civilization in a day?

How did the first human do it?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:

The first humans didn't have to deal w/ the state holding a monopoly on the forests or state-sponsored corporations having monopolies natural resources. The first humans used instinct which for us has been erased by years of gov-mandated indoctrination (schools.)

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 3:13 PM

I'm anti-tech because tech is used primarily as an instrument to keep us in control. There's a huge reason why the gov is actively involved in creating new technology. What other reason would it have?

If I create some new technology, did I create it for the intent to control people?

Take a look at how much healthier, happier and non-aggressive hunter-gatherers are than us. Primitive people are also way freer.

How primitive and to which people in time?  It's an advancement in culture and technology, "primitive people" (your usage) is in reference to people who's ability for abstract thought probably was not fully developed.  Intelligent people create advancements in their life.  You want to resort to a time where we no longer think of ways to make our lives easier, resorting to a "primitive state."

I want to leave civ and homestead in the woods. I want to be 100% self-sufficient. What's wrong with that?

1.  That you do not do it.  2.  You bitch about it on this forum where no one cares.

Why should I go out of my way for anyone but myself?

Why do you go out of your way to post videos on an open forum for other people but yourself?  No one cares, so why do you keep doing it?  Why are you here?  Why have you not left yet?  Why can't you watch that crap without clogging up threads with it?

Have fun drinking water full of fluoride, eating GMO food full of MSG and preservatives

So you've spent the money on (expensive) technology that filters out flouride from tap water and you only buy raw/organic food?  I highly doubt you do.

The first humans didn't

The first humans probably did not have the capability for abstract thought either, look at human development, the more intelligent and advanced we grew, so did culture and technology.  You are referring to pipedream world of Adam and Eve, in a state of unconsciousness where they can live forever unharmed comfortably in a primitive state.

As we have all said, go do it, leave us alone, and we'll find out whether or not it worked when we find your name in the NH obituary.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

How primitive and to which people in time?  It's an advancement in culture and technology, "primitive people" (your usage) is in reference to people who's ability for abstract thought probably was not fully developed.  Intelligent people create advancements in their life.  You want to resort to a time where we no longer think of ways to make our lives easier, resorting to a "primitive state."

I'd suggest looking up H/Gs.

Have fun drinking water full of fluoride, eating GMO food full of MSG and preservatives

So you've spent the money on (expensive) technology that filters out flouride from tap water and you only buy raw/organic food?  I highly doubt you do.

GMO, fluoride and preservatives exist BECAUSE of tech.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 3:54 PM

I'd suggest looking up H/Gs.

I spend time reading about pre-Christian Northern Europe, as far back as resources allow when they would have been "hunter/gatherers" (2,000+ years ago, easily), and I conclude you have no clue what you're talking about.

GMO, fluoride and preservatives exist BECAUSE of tech.

They exist because of human action, more precisely.  Guess what?!  There's no correlation between being "tech" and things that are detrimental to your health or well being.  You have no foundation.  Bad things happen because of ignorance and an err in good intentions, not because of advancements in tools and life.  Now stop posting here.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Freedom4Me73986:

Freedom4Me73986:

The first humans didn't have to deal w/ the state holding a monopoly on the forests or state-sponsored corporations having monopolies natural resources. The first humans used instinct which for us has been erased by years of gov-mandated indoctrination (schools.)

Did you just say that no person alive has instinct?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

I spend time reading about pre-Christian Northern Europe, as far back as resources allow when they would have been "hunter/gatherers" (2,000+ years ago, easily), and I conclude you have no clue what you're talking about.

All the evidence I've seen/read proves that H/Gs were healthier, freer and way less aggressive than civilized man.

They exist because of human action, more precisely.  Guess what?!  There's no correlation between being "tech" and things that are detrimental to your health or well being.  You have no foundation.  Bad things happen because of ignorance and an err in good intentions, not because of advancements in tools and life.  Now stop posting here.

So tell me why H/Gs don't poison themselves the way we do. Look at the statistics. Your chance of having an autistic child is something like 1 in 80. Show me an H/G culture where autism is as rampant as ours.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:37 PM

Show me a H/G culture that wouldn't have killed you already for being a whiney pain in the ass.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

They wouldn't.

They are way freer and healthier then us, even though theyre turning to AG now.

• | Post Points: 50
Previous | Next
Page 1 of 3 (84 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS