Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hidden Goals in Legislation: The Health Care Law

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 370
Barty Posted: Tue, Mar 27 2012 1:49 PM

It's no suprise to any of us the stated reasons for every law or program are never the whole story.  Public eduation isn't about teaching kids to think, so much as to be obedient and follow the State. The TSA isn't just about "air security", but also about instilling fear and humuliation in the populace for purposes of desenstizing them to further acts of government privacy violations. 

So I wanted to anaylze part of health care bill to demonstrate another example of this hidden goal: Reduction in Unemployment.  I work for a major corporation and we recently had a conference in my local district and part of it was the implications in both cost and personel of the law, and this immediately jumped out at me:

Part of the Health Care law requires companies with certain number of employees to provide health care coverage or face a penalty. In this case, it's 50 full time employees.  As always, the devil is the details.  The penalty is 2,000 dollars for each full time employee the company has if they do not offer health care coverage to even one employee who must be eligible under the law. This is a staggering penalty if a major company has thousands of employees.

The kicker is this: While the penalty is an annual one, for purposes of calculating what is a full-time employee it's calculated montly. And what is a full time employee according to the law? Anyone who works 30 hours average in a given month. Now, in my location I run for my company, there is only a few employees who are actual full time employees guranteed 36+ hours plus benefits of top quality coverage.  The rest of the employees are desginated part-time, but their hours can vary from as little as 10 a week, to as much as 40 hours.  So during a busy season, every employee can be working in a given month over 30 hours. And all it takes is one single month of a violation where you are then required to offer any employee over that 30 hour mark the same healthcare benefits as full-time or salaried employees.

What will be the effect then? Employees in certain buisnesses with a lot of employees will not be allowed to work over 30 hours, and new people will be hired to fill those hours when needed.

In effect, the government has not only accomplished it's goals of taking over health care completely, they have instituted a spread the work scheme as well.  For purposes of a 10 second soundbite on the TV, "Unemployement goes down!" the government has accomplished it's goals and will dupe a good number of people ignorant of economics and the actual underlying effects of this legislation. 

A link with a Q&A that covers the above topic. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Barty:
It's no suprise to any of us the stated reasons for every law or program are never the whole story.  Public eduation isn't about teaching kids to think, so much as to be obedient and follow the State. The TSA isn't just about "air security", but also about instilling fear and humuliation in the populace for purposes of desenstizing them to further acts of government privacy violations. 

So I wanted to anaylze part of health care bill to demonstrate another example of this hidden goal: Reduction in Unemployment.

Public eduation = obedience and follow the State

TSA = instilling fear and humuliation in the populace

Health care law =  Reduction in Unemployment

One of these things is not like the o-ther...

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 370
Barty replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 2:04 PM

That wasn't the point of my post to suggest they were morally equivalent hidden goals, but merely to look at a small part of the health care law and demonstrate a hidden goal in it.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Barty:
That wasn't the point of my post to suggest they were morally equivalent hidden goals, but merely to look at a small part of the health care law and demonstrate a hidden goal in it.

So what you mean by 'Reduction in Unemployment' in your OP, as John James pointed out, was that 'Reduction in Unemployment' may be a goal stated by the state in favor of it, but in reality there is some other sinister goal inside of it?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 370
Barty replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 2:15 PM

Reduction in Unemployment is the hidden goal. It's a health care law, the stated goal is to provide health care coverage for everyone, but you can see how it's used for other means just like any other law.  This particular hidden effect though is small enough to get missed by a general observation of the bill, but big enough to jump out at you once you see it considering the government's dedication to manipulating the unemployment rate anyway they can. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Barty:
Reduction in Unemployment is the hidden goal. It's a health care law, the stated goal is to provide health care coverage for everyone, but you can see how it's used for other means just like any other law.

Institutionalized aggression brings about many effects that would otherwise not occur. I agree with John James, though, that there may be other hidden goals with a similar nature to that implied by the first two hidden goals, you state, contained within the TSA and public education.

Will unemployment be reduced as a result of the passage of this law (subject to Supreme Court ruling)? I don't know; maybe, maybe not. The state will eventually find something innacurate about how unemployment is currently overestimated and find a new way to calculate unemployment if it is the latter. The real question is: if it is the case that the Affordable Care Act is deemed constitutional, would it be a more economically rational allocation of resources, including labor services, than the market can provide? Objectively, no. 

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Barty:
Reduction in Unemployment is the hidden goal.

Why would they hide a goal like that?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

John James:

Barty:
Reduction in Unemployment is the hidden goal.

Why would they hide a goal like that?

Another good point.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS