Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** April 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 330 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Freedom4Me73986:
Why do you need to know?

Why do you always answer a question with a question?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

It's a health thing.  Where is your lack of sympathy for JJ?  So callous...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 5:08 PM

Some amusing news today (yes, amusing for a certain reason for this area.)  A F/A-18 Hornet crashed in Virginia Beach, not on military property, but into some apartments (5 buildings while 3 others were structurally unsound to enter) which threw traffic patterns into chaos.  I'm getting updates off various local news FB pages.

More pictures here.  Latest update 30 minutes ago:

Capt. Mark Weisgerber, Dep CMDR of Strike Fighter Wing, says that the jet that went down was a 2-seat F/A-18 Hornet that was a part of a training exercise. He stated that the pilot that was flying was a student and the pilot in the back seat was more experienced. He says initial indications show that the jet had a “catastrophic mechanical malfunction” but he would not go into detail about the specifics. He says there will be a full investigation.

Six of the seven patients from the jet crash have been released from Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital except for one member of the air crew.

Now, why do I find this amusing?  It's a big F U to everyone who drives around with their "I <3 JET NOISE" bumper stickers and vehemently defends the bases and jets that fly up to 10:30 pm and make it to where you can't talk to the person next to you.  Well, I don't think anyone likes jet noise now, assholes.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 7:53 PM

A friend posted this on FB, I don't know how accurate it is (numbers seem off), but the contrast itself is not surprising.

If you have Ron Paul on your FB, you'll see the pictures and numbers of the people he's bringing in.  His profile has 928 K likes, which is a lot.

From his FB, 8,500 + at UC Berkely in Cali:

At the UCLA Tennis Center with a max capacity of 6,000 + crowd:

Over 4,600 people at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Town Hall:

I went to Romney's page, and with 1,568,103 likes you'd think he'd be posting pictures of all these people he's bringing in, but there was none, nor any numbers.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yeah Tom Woods recently had a post with a UCLA photo.  His accompanying statement and the comments are pretty fun.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

People still use MSN Messenger?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:
Why do you need to know?

Why do you always answer a question with a question?

You don't understand. Rejecting civ doesn't mean I have a duty to live in the woods right away, Aside from learning primitive survival skills I also want to homestead as much land as I possibly can. This will happen in northern NH where i know there's no way the FED could find me. Right now I'm looking for places to homestead as I expand my skillset.

What have you done to bring down the state?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Freedom4Me73986:
[...] there's no way the FED could find me. [...]
Why would the Fed try to find you?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

So they can poison his berries.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 4:29 AM

Tonight (or this morning, from 2 to 4:30 am) my friend and I went to check out the jet wreckage I posted above.  Cops guarding any area that can lead to civilians seeing the wreckage, and most apartments have been evacuated that border it specifically (the place wreaks of jet fuel, had to cover my face to keep from gagging).  The actual jet area is lit up with stadium lights, we were able to move our way down an alley between the apartments, but can only see the very end of the tail.

The yellow dot is where we made it:

Best picture of the crash making it's rounds on FB:

Now my friend and I spent 2 hours jumping fences trying to find a better view without getting caught, which in the end we gave up.  The odd thing was a wreck nearby, it appeared that a car hit parked car on the side of the road, pushing the parked car's front right tire up on the sidewalk.  This brought out one of the guarding cop cars out of their position.  Eventually the cop stopped us our 3rd time driving by, but we find out that they don't know how it happened or who did it, as when the cops get there (which is a 50 ft drive for one of them)... no one's there.  My friend and I found it a nice distraction that didn't get us any closer, but the cops seemed rather irked and made an odd comment about us going out our way to look for "nothing" when asked why we were out so late (they didn't know we had been jumping fences the past two hours), and only had seen us drive by.  Should be obvious enough we are trying to see a crashed jet , but after that they told us to leave. (I don't remember it exactly except the cop putting emphasis on nothing, which confused both my friend and I - "You're out looking for nothing?")

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I like Matt Welch.  Never seen him not know what he's talking about.

Matt Welch Talks DEA Raids on CA Pot Clubs, Obama, & Rolling Stones on Varney & Co.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:
[...] there's no way the FED could find me. [...]
Why would the Fed try to find you?

The Federal gov. does everything they can to outlaw living off-the-grid. Why do you think the Amish are always being raided?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:23 PM

Freedom4Me73986:

The Federal gov. does everything they can to outlaw living off-the-grid.

The Federal government is doing more and more to track people's internet activity.  If they are really going after people who try to live off-the-grid, you better play it safe and stop posting here.  The less information about you, the less likely they'll catch you.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:44 PM

I think I might understand now. He's trying to make everyone think he'll live in NH, but he's probably actually some guy in North Dakota. You know, throwing the Fed off his trail.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:50 PM

*groan - F4M, can you please start a separate thread for your posts?? This forum is not about you and your compulsive narcissism is just irritating as hell. You keep cluttering up these low-content threads with stuff that nobody but you cares about and then each one of those posts is followed by a half-dozen navel-gazing posts about how you're going to live off the grid ... posted to the Internet.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Looks like we have more problems in common than we thought... (We often hear or read old arguments being made from decades ago that sound like they could just as easily be people talking about our contemporary situation.  (e.g Economics in One Lesson).  What we don't often hear is conversations from other parts of the world where the arguments are virtually identical to ours.  Does this not sound like it could just as easily be a discussion had yesterday in the U.S.?)

Nigel Farage answers the questions at a forum in Sturminster Newton, Dorset.

(in case you've never encounter Farage before, see here for more.)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

If you've never seen an episode of Red Eye, it's definitely worth a try.  You won't see anything else like this on mainstream cable news.

Nick Gillespie on Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld & Ann Coulter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 10:39 AM

@JJ

Thanks for the Farage, I always enjoy him.  One of the funniest moments for me was when the woman was saying that people needed to trust the professionals (teachers)...which would be fine in a free market.  But why should we trust people who haven't had to "cut the mustard" as Farage put it?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 5:00 PM
re: redefining autism, here is the money quote:
With new government data last week suggesting more kids than ever in the U.S. — 1 in 88 — have autism, the new definition may help clarify whether the rising numbers reflect a true increase in autism or overdiagnosis by doctors. There is no definitive test for autism. The diagnosis that has been used for at least 18 years covers children who once were called mentally retarded, as well as some who might have merely been considered quirky or odd. Today, some children diagnosed with autism may no longer fit the definition when they mature. "We're wanting to use this opportunity to get this diagnosis right," said Dr. Bryan King, a member of the revision panel and director of the autism center at Seattle Children's Hospital.
so, we have been using the same definition for 18 years, and we notice a sharp increase. We have to redefine this arbitrarily defined disorder in order to discover if doctors have suddenly started to abuse/misuse the old definition?
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Pretty great video:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

The Wright bros definitely won, though the Mario bros made a comeback in the end, imo:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 9:16 PM

U.S. Government’s Anti-Conspiracy Webpage

LOL, what a great resource - it's basically an all-in-one list of the conspiracy theories you should believe!

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 12:29 PM
http://nation.foxnews.com/us-credit-rating-downgrade/2012/04/06/egan-jones-downgrades-us-credit-rating
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Hero:

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 1,450

Made this one today, hehehe.

It is not left versus right, it is social engineering versus spontaneous order.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

http://kochvcato.com/

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

I think it's a funny one (especially the subtitle about central banks):

http://www.economist.com/node/21552262

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 12:51 AM

Woods at the Prom

Someone sent Tom Woods a video of him at the prom. See 3:20 (He had jokes then, too!)

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 7:55 AM

Oh, man. He's exactly the same! I love the character!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

via Tom Woods:

Now What Has Ron Paul Been Up To?

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 565
PhilipK replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 1:44 PM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Ron Paul Campaign Releases Texas-themed TV and Web Ad

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

James O'Keefe's "Project Veritas" manages to enter a D.C. polling station and receive a ballot for none other than Attorney General Eric Holder, simply by providing Holder's address...

Michael Savage - James O'Keefe Talks on Voter Fraud Exposure - (Aired Live on April 9, 2012)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Wait, is he the cameraman?

EDIT: Nevermind. He's at 3:18.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

• | Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 9 (331 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS