Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** April 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 330 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 11:49 AM

WOW.

"Only ideas can overcome ideas."

~ Mises

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Wheylous:

Spot on

He is wrong. There is plenty of joy in forcing others to be charitable. That's why it is so prevalent. You get to feel noble but you don't actually have to make any sacrifices, it's like having your cake and eating it too.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 565
PhilipK replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 12:04 PM

PhilipK:

"The Mint is offering a prize of $50,000 in gold to the developer who comes up with the best technology to support its new digital currency, the MintChip."

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1159513--royal-canadian-mint-to-create-digital-currency

This is kind of funny, the Canadian Mint is looking to create something which sounds similar to BitCoin.

*EDIT: Its also kind of funny that they are paying the winner in gold instead of Canadian Dollars, or MintChips. They know anyone intelligent enough to come up with the solution knows enough about currency and programming to know fiat currency is a scam.*

The end of cash - National Post - April 10th, 2012

*EDIT: Another relatated story... CBC - From BitCoin to MintChip *

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 12:07 PM

EmperorNero:
He is wrong. There is plenty of joy in forcing others to be charitable. That's why it is so prevalent. You get to feel noble but you don't actually have to make any sacrifices, it's like having your cake and eating it too.

Bingo.  It's just like campaigning for "awareness".

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 1:59 PM

Need some help; looking for a quote from Milton Friedman... a rare one, him admitting that economics is a priori. It was here on the forums at some point a few months ago.

Much appreciated.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Conza88:
Need some help; looking for a quote from Milton Friedman... a rare one, him admitting that economics is a priori. It was here on the forums at some point a few months ago.

Much appreciated.

Yes, I saw when you posted this the first time less than two days ago.  It would be helpful if you could recall anything about the post at all...what thread it might have been in, what the subject of discussion was, what the quote might have been like, what else may have been included in the post...something.

I'd be really impressed if someone could find this with the information you've provided.  I'd also be pretty surprised if such a quote even exists (as in, Friedman actually said it).  I could come up with at least half a dozen sources where he basically says the opposite.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

John James:
I'd be really impressed if someone could find this with the information you've provided.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,520

Haven't watched this yet but the title and some of the comments seem interesting...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 10:00 PM

@ThatOldGuy

Okay.  I laughed out loud.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 7:11 AM

Re: Yes, I saw when you posted this the first time less than two days ago.  It would be helpful if you could recall anything about the post at all...what thread it might have been in, what the subject of discussion was, what the quote might have been like, what else may have been included in the post...something.

I'd be really impressed if someone could find this with the information you've provided.  I'd also be pretty surprised if such a quote even exists (as in, Friedman actually said it).  I could come up with at least half a dozen sources where he basically says the opposite.

- Low content thread. Or one vaguely related. Post was by a fairly 'drive by' user, not a complete regular. The comment wasn't completely random, it had some relevance (eg. someone might have posted a video of Milton Friedman vs. that young kid who looked like Michael Moore but isn't.. earlier).

- The quote had something to do with Milton Friedman responding to a question, or making a statement that the laws of economics don't always need to be tested.

- I know you can provide X quotes telling the opposite, so could I. The reason I remember this is b/c here he doesn't.

- Get the feeling it was near the end of his career. He changed on a lot of positions, this being (maybe) a fundamental one.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 11:10 AM

A summary of IP:

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 660
Elric replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 3:28 PM

Apparently it is okay for the government to protect IP of a USA company but not so much for IP from another country.  Kobe beef is one of many such instances.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

I remember a video of Friedman saying that we could know things just from economic reasoning - is that what you're talking about?  I can't recall the topic but I believe it was from the 70's and he was standing up in front of a black background, addressing the audience to his right (I could be slightly off).

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 7:11 PM

Yes! Definitely rings a bell. I think someone then transcribed the relevant section. yes surprise

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Aristippus:
I remember a video of Friedman saying that we could know things just from economic reasoning - is that what you're talking about?  I can't recall the topic but I believe it was from the 70's and he was standing up in front of a black background, addressing the audience to his right (I could be slightly off).

That does sound like the "Micheal Moore kid" conversation Conza mentioned, although I'm pretty familiar with that exchange, and I don't recall him saying it in that particular one, but it may have occured some other time during the same event.  Here's a collection of videos from that lecture series...but again, I'm pretty familiar with all of those, and I don't recall anything like that being in them.  Could have missed it though, or it could have occurred during some point not covered in those videos (I haven't seen the full lecture series in its entirety).

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 7:21 PM

Aristippus:

Friedman the praxeologist:

At 4:03 - "...this has always been clear from...general economic reasoning..."

Yaaay haha. laugh

Not as clear cut as I remember lol, but there it is.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Conza88:

Yaaay haha. laugh

Not as clear cut as I remember lol, but there it is.

I... I've failed. The challenge ..

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

I forgot that I was actually the one who posted it!

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 8:35 PM

Brilliant! 

Fix income inequality with $10 million loans for everyone! - Sheila Bair for Washington Post

"...Under my plan, each American household could borrow $10 million from the Fed at zero interest. The more conservative among us can take that money and buy 10-year Treasury bonds. At the current 2 percent annual interest rate, we can pocket a nice $200,000 a year to live on. The more adventuresome can buy 10-year Greek debt at 21 percent, for an annual income of $2.1 million. Or if Greece is a little too risky for you, go with Portugal, at about 12 percent, or $1.2 million dollars a year. (No sense in getting greedy.)..."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Well this is fun

Cuba issue deals blow to US stature at 'Summit of the Americas'

CARTAGENA, Colombia -- Unprecedented Latin American opposition to U.S. sanctions on communist Cuba left President Barack Obama isolated at the Summit of the Americas on Sunday and illustrated Washington's waning influence in the region.

In contrast to the rock-star status he enjoyed at the 2009 summit in Trinidad and Tobago shortly after taking office, Obama has had a bruising time at the two-day meeting in Colombia of some 30 heads of state from across the Americas. 

Eleven Secret Service agents and five military personnel were caught in an embarrassing prostitution scandal, Brazil and others have bashed Obama over U.S. monetary policy, and he has been on the defensive over calls to legalize drugs.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, British parliamentarian of Kashmiri origin Lord Nazir Ahmed has announced a reward for the captor of US President Barack Obama and his predecessor George W Bush.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/364863/sterling-bounty-offered-for-obama-bush/

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 7:46 AM

Police invite security firms to bid for roles

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17242956

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 7:48 AM

ThatOldGuy:

I... I've failed. The challenge ..

I've bumped an old challenge for you to accept  .

Edit: MTHER $%(##)#! I made some OTHER thread around here, or commented ages ago about trying to find ANOTHER article about Privae defense forces in the UK from several years ago. But I could NOT for the life of me find it.

I just did!

Neighbours hire their own police force for £3 each a week

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 5,635
yessir replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 11:20 AM

"Scarcity, Marxism and Gosplan," Oxford Economic Papers, October 1953

"Thus in the Soviet economy there are, as it were, always too few hairbrushes and too many nailbrushes in view of the resources available, while in a 'capitalist' economy this proportion is always more nearly right. But the production of both these articles is growing at about 10 per cent. per annum in U.S.S.R., and at about 2 per cent. per annum in 'capitalist' countries. In the end the Soviet citizen will be supplied better even with hairbrushes. Professor Hayek's assertion that a cen- trally planned (as opposed to a centrally owned) economy cannot rationally allocate resources is proved up to the hilt by Soviet planning practice. But one cannot help wondering, does it really matter?"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 11:36 AM

Conza88:

Edit: MTHER $%(##)#! I made some OTHER thread around here, or commented ages ago about trying to find ANOTHER article about Privae defense forces in the UK from several years ago. But I could NOT for the life of me find it.

I just did!

AMERICA!!

STATUS REPORT ON LE CHALLENGE DEUX:
Since the other thread says that the article was written on either LRC or the MIses blog I started with LRC and searched [lord acton "corrupts absolutely" site:lewrockwell.com] and got 31 results. I added "Read the rest of the article" because you said it links to some other newspaper and got only one result that talks about Lord of The Rings on mises.org.

Hmm.

I changed focus to searching the mises blog. I typed in the following search terms [lord acton "power corrupts" site:blog.mises.org] and got 13 results. The first article was about Lord of the Rings. Can't seem to find the specifics you mention.

Do you recall anything else about the article (author, a particular word or phrase used apart from "Acton" or "power corrupts")?

Running low on water.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 12:04 PM

Good Guy Joker just being a good guy.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Obama: ‘Google, Facebook Would Not Exist’ Without Government Funding

Obama made the remark at a campaign fundraiser while criticizing the budget passed by House Republicans. Obama said the Rep. Paul Ryan’s budget would, among other things, cut funding for research.

“I believe in investing in basic research and science because I understand that all these extraordinary companies that are these enormous wealth-generators -- many of them would have never been there;  Google, Facebook would not exist, had it not been for investments that we made as a country in basic science and research,” Obama said. “I understand that makes us all better off.”

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

So "we" invest means government invests. Interesting.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

EmperorNero:
So "we" invest means government invests. Interesting.

Of course.  What else would it mean?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Apr 16 2012 5:38 PM

HA HA HA. The President gets dissed at the summit so he blames it on the Secret Service guys banging prostitutes. Nice.

Have I mentioned lately that I despise the US government? While all government, in principle, is evil the US government is pushing to a new apogee of moral depravity well beyond anything attained by Rome during its heyday. I would be happy paying only State taxes. F--- the Feds. Oh wait, that's what Colombian prostitutes are for. A guy can't win for losing...

Clayton - 

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Here's a nice one for all the pinkos who never stop droning about the egalitarianism of Sweden (wait till you see the pictures):

Swedish Official Gleefully Cuts Racist Black Lady Cake, Delights Onlookers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

This poor bastard gets so broken.  If you don't know who he is, check out some background on him here.  It'll help put some perspective.

Just look at his face afterward.  He "knows for sure" he's canned.  You could tell all the crap that was going through his head the rest of the show.  Here he is with this cushy job, probably looking to parlay into an even bigger show, and he may have thrown it all away in an instant.  Of course he didn't want to continue the discussion...he's got a few other things on his mind.  And of course you gotta love the way he immediately starts trying to place blame.  (I agree it is kind of "typical liberal", but I think any asshat who gets caught in that situation would try to shove off blame if for nothing else than to try to save his job).

I doubt his worst fears will come true though.  Hannity sounded sincere about protecting him.

FOX News' Bob Beckel Drops F-Bomb Live On "Hannity"

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

John James:
Bob Beckel Drops F-Bomb Live On "Hannity"

That made my day. He said it with so much emphasis. I don't see him much, but when I do it always seems like all he does is stare at the camera looking angry and make stupid remarks (like this) from time to time. Pause at :31 for a Sean Hannity trollface. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:38 PM
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."

Wow, are you kidding me? Could any quote by any economist betray any greater ignorance of the market process?
Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Page 4 of 9 (331 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS