Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Should Freedom4Me73986 leave?

rated by 0 users
This post has 73 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:07 PM | Locked

[See the very bottom for the question of the thread.]

These are just a few of the things Freedom4Me73986 has said over the past 6 months or so...

Freedom4Me73986:

We obviously need to abandon collectivist civilization and move out into the woods where we will survive off of roots and berries.

Thats where I want to live freely. Out in the woods in NH

Yes I desire to "live in the woods"

I don't need civ to survive.

meat is poison.

Civ and tech are inherently destructive.

A typical exchange with Freedom4Me73986:

John James: Why are you here?

Freedom4Me73986: Why not?

John James:

a) because you claim to prefer living off in the woods

b) because you reject technology and claim to be "anti-tech" and Internet, computers, and this forum = tech

c) because you reject "civ" and Internet, computers, this forum and virtually everything about it = "civ"

Why are you here?

Freedom4Me73986: Why do you think I'm here?

John James: Honestly I don't know.  That's why I'm asking.  So, why are you here?  Why don't you go off to the woods like you claim to want to?

Freedom4Me73986: Why don't you leave the state?

John James: I never said I wanted to.  Why don't you go live in the woods?

Freedom4Me73986: Why do you care?

John James: That's not relevant. Why do you always answer a question with a question?

Freedom4Me73986: How am I any more inconsistent than anti-statists who refuse to leave the state?

A few moments ago, he said:

Freedom4Me73986:
Why should I leave? It's way more in my self-interest to stay here.

My question to the forum is:

Would you prefer Freedom4Me73986 to go live in the woods and get rid of his technology?

• | Post Points: 155
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:13 PM | Locked

Why not ignore him? 

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775
Smiling Dave replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:15 PM | Locked

we tolerate commies and such. vive la difference, I say.

or have I been april fooled?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:17 PM | Locked

ThatOldGuy:
Why not ignore him?

More questions as answers to questions?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:19 PM | Locked

Smiling Dave:

we tolerate commies and such. vive la difference, I say.

or have I been april fooled?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:26 PM | Locked

I'm with Smiling Dave on this one. If he's such an annoyance, just ignore him. It already seems like no one else takes him seriously. If he wants to leave, then he'll leave. If he can't see that posting here is contradictory to his earlier statements, that's his shortcoming and no one else's.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:28 PM | Locked

That wasn't the question.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 10:11 PM | Locked

I wouldn't mind if he left. I would like it even better if he would respond to people's questions which might help him realize some things, rather than replying with videos, which is a non-answer.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 10:37 PM | Locked

John James:

That wasn't the question.

Yes.  He should most definitely gtfo.  He still clutters the place up even if we ignore him.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795
auctionguy10 replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 10:47 PM | Locked

no I wouldn't prefer him to go live in the woods. Where's the fun in that? 

Not Ranked
Posts 77
Points 1,150
proxyamenra replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 11:03 PM | Locked

This thread not beneficial for the forum's image. Especially so because this is a forum within a political/philosophy advocation website.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 11:18 PM | Locked

I know many who would contend Freedom4Me73986 is not beneficial for the forum's image.

I think the OP poses a legitimate question.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Freedom4Me73986 replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 11:55 PM | Locked

These are just a few of the things Freedom4Me73986 has said over the past 6 months or so...

Freedom4Me73986:

We obviously need to abandon collectivist civilization and move out into the woods where we will survive off of roots and berries.

Thats where I want to live freely. Out in the woods in NH

Yes I desire to "live in the woods"

I don't need civ to survive.

meat is poison.

Civ and tech are inherently destructive.

I never said the quote on the list. I was quoting another user who was parodying me.

A few moments ago, he said:

Freedom4Me73986:
Why should I leave? It's way more in my self-interest to stay here.

I meant, why should I leave this forum? Why should I care what you say?

I'm going to leave civ soon BTW. I don't plan on staying here for long. Summer in NH is the best time for wild food. I plan on being 100% self-sufficient. Homesteading, wild eating and primitive living. But why do you care that I post on here before then?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975
Michelangelo replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 12:29 AM | Locked

No.

I have restrained myself from entering forum politics, but it seems to me that this has been allowed to go too far. I don't agree with many of Freedom's propositions, but I do not believe that he should leave. I'm more than willing to support kicking out someone from the forum who is a criminal of some sort. If freedom was a killer, a rapist, or a thief I would be in full support of having him leave the forum. He is to my knowledge not any of these. He has views contrary to that of others in this forum, but that is not a crime. Does someone seriously contend that Freedom has violated the non aggression issue? Or that he has violated the forum rules? If not then I don't believe he should leave. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 12:41 AM | Locked

Freedom4Me73986:
I never said the quote on the list. I was quoting another user who was parodying me.

"Parodying" or "paraphrasing"?  Are you actually going to try to claim you don't agree with literally everything in that sentence?  Or are you just playing technicality semantics like Tom's new whipping boy?

I meant, why should I leave this forum?

You said it's in your self interest to stay.  I'm wondering how that's the case when you clearly think that everything about this forum (i.e. technology and civilization) is the debil, claim that you would prefer to be living in the woods, and are made fun of with virtually every post that you make by people who are annoyed by your presence and would prefer you to leave (just as you claim you would prefer as well.)

I'm going to leave civ soon BTW.

I literally read that two months ago.  And three months ago.  And 6 months ago.  Just wtf does "soon" mean to you, anyway?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 12:43 AM | Locked

He's good for a laugh.

It goes to show despite him being what a typical statist might think the mises community is like as a whole, we actually totally rip apart illogical thinking and action no matter what the affiliation.

But to be honest, I think he's a troll from some site like revleft or reddit testing the waters here. His words really mean nothing in the long run, and he's just determined to play his role as the forum pariah. He won't be leaving for a long time methinks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 1:29 AM | Locked

But the question is, would you prefer him to go live in the woods and get rid of his technology?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 1:42 AM | Locked

He should leave if he wants to be consistent with what he said. Also it would be a positive thing for the forum. I don't personally want for him to go live in the woods, however, certainly not on the account of me holding him by his word. He may be eaten by a bear there or some such and then I'll have him on my conscience. Maybe if I had more faith in his outdoorsmanship.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 1:42 AM | Locked

John James:

But the question is, would you prefer him to go live in the woods and get rid of his technology?

I think you are grossly mistaken on what the question is: What would Freedom4Me do without a woman?  I have never seen him mention anything about this.  Ever.  Does he believe that there will be all sorts of women willing to go live in the woods with him?  Is he going to meet women out there?  Before I suppose?  And where, exactly, on a scale of 1-10, would these women be?  After all, they would be willing to go live with this nutcase in the woods, living on only berries and nuts, no toilets, modern hygiene, etc.

This leads to the next question: Does Freedom4Me have any family or friends?  Is he going to just ditch his mother and father and any siblings he may have?  This is just the immediate family...

So, perhaps I was mistaken.  The real question is: Is Freedom4Me going to become a friendless, womanless, hairy, smelly, starving, man who just masturbates all day long?  What the hell is this guy gonna do out there?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 76
Points 1,215
gamma_rat replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 2:55 AM | Locked

If he thinks neolithic hunter-gatherers were vegetarians who ate nothing but roots and bugs, he's got another thing coming.

He should absolutely not leave; he would probably starve, freeze to death, or die of pneumonia.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." - Sir Humphrey Appleby
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 2:57 AM | Locked

gotlucky:
I think you are grossly mistaken on what the question is

Well, when I said "the question" I was referring to the question of the thread.

What would Freedom4Me do without a woman?

The same thing he's been doing this whole time?

...you didn't actually think he had a woman, did you?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515
Aristophanes replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 3:12 AM | Locked

John James, if someone posting things on a forum bothers you that much, why not get yourself a lobotomy?

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775
Smiling Dave replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 4:41 AM | Locked

Aristophanes:

John James, if someone posting things on a forum bothers you that much, why not get yourself a lobotomy?

...and a whole new can of worms opens up.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 4:42 AM | Locked

So there are now 2 questions in this thread.

1. Would you prefer that Freedom4Me73986 go into the woods, or stay with technology.

2. Would you prefer a lobotomy to reading a post by Freedom4Me73986

I guess my answer to both these questions is no.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795
Andris Birkmanis replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 7:32 AM | Locked

I thought lobotomy is about opening skulls, not cans of worms.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
LogisticEarth replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:18 AM | Locked

I think part of the problem with Freedom4me is that he spams his videos/links way too often.  Unfortunately he's one of the more prolific posters on here. The fact that he so often fails to engage in even semi-critical discussion on the topics he brings up means he's actually detracting from any discussion here, and shitting up the forums.

He's been asked to clean his act up, but he's continued his shitposting/trolling.  I don't think a ban is out of order.  This isn't about freedom of speech or accepting a variety of viewpoints.  If a Marxist was in here (and they do stop by) and posted a number of critical or provocative threads, and stuck around and hashed things out thoroughly, that's fine and I don't think anyone here would have a problem with that.  However if we had a guy who would constantly post numerous biased articles and low-content videos, with no honest discussion, that would tick a lot of people off.

Freedom4me's problem isn't that he has radical opinions, it's that he spams and contributes next to no content.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:39 AM | Locked

F4M posts a bunch of shit no one really cares about (from my understanding, and I know JJ and myself really don't give a damn about NH or the Dale Gribble's of the world), as well as claiming to leave "soon" for anti-tech reasons, and never actually answers a question you ask him.  He's spamming and not taking responsibility that he is.  The fact this thread was made should get it through his head he's damn annoying and hard headed as hell.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 9:44 AM | Locked

John James:
Well, when I said "the question" I was referring to the question of the thread.

I was just teasing cheeky

John James:
The same thing he's been doing this whole time? ...you didn't actually think he had a woman, did you?

If by "woman" you mean "paper towels and a bottle of lube", then yes.  But what will he do without these?!?!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 10:05 AM | Locked

no

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 653
Points 13,185
mikachusetts replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 10:41 AM | Locked

These sorts of spiteful and bullying threads reeaaaallly rub me the wrong way.  There are a lot of damn smart people in this community, and I think we are better than this.  The degree to which F4M spams and trolls the forum is being way overstated: he never gets in the way of any "high brow" conversations or debates, his posts are usually relevent to the threads they're in, and he is pretty polite given how much flack he gets.

Its fun to pick on the the crazy guy once and a while, and I know I've poked fun at the Free State Movement a few times, but this is the second thread I've seen dedicated specifically to F4M in the last few days.  You guys look like 5th grade boys constantly going up to girls just to remind them that you think they're icky. 

Just don't let this shit get out of hand, because you are going to turn off a lot of people who are here to learn.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 1,255
FascistSoup replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 11:19 AM | Locked

No, Freedom4Me shouldn't leave!

His post are always funny.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:18 PM | Locked

mikachusetts:
Its fun to pick on the the crazy guy once and a while, and I know I've poked fun at the Free State Movement a few times

Be that as it may, this was not supposed to be picking on him, and this was not supposed to be fun.  I'm asking a legitimate question.  Freedom4Me73986 asked "How do you know no one cares to see anything I post?"...and despite having plenty of posts where people actually say so, I was interested and thought it would be useful to have people weigh in and actually state what their preference is.  (Freedom4Me73986 being active here on the forum, or living in the woods.)

but this is the second thread I've seen dedicated specifically to F4M in the last few days.

If you notice, the first thread you're talking about begins with a post from Freedom4Me73986.  It was spilt from one of his common derailments from the low content thread.  In fact, that's exactly the reason I started this one...because once again Freedom4Me73986 derailed the low content thread and was ready to crowd it with usual "conversation of questions".

This is not about bullying.  First and foremost, this is about trying to make his nonsense as little of a nuisance as possible, and second this is about taking a pulse on the forum to see how members feel.

you are going to turn off a lot of people who are here to learn.

As I told someone else, I think Freedom4Me73986 already has.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:25 PM | Locked
Yes, he should go try living in the woods. But barring that, he should stay and lurk, or at least limit himself to 3 posts per day or less. 20 posts/week. He should not leave the forums if he isnt going to live in the wilderness. He should stop posting videos no one wants to see. His links are usually good, however, and the conversation of questions typically ends when the other participant loses interest. This would be fine except it typically prompts Freedom4Me to post another useless video.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515
Aristophanes replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:26 PM | Locked

Freedom4Me73986 is much more tolerable than you john james.

"derailed the low content thread"

It is a "low content thread."... can you "derail" a thread that might as well be titled "misc."?  There is very little corrdination of subject matter there.  People post memes for God's sake.

you are going to turn off a lot of people who are here to learn.

As I told someone else, I think Freedom4Me73986 already has.

It doesn't matter.  You are worse.  F4M isn't a pretentious douche.  He is just misguided and idealstic.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:27 PM | Locked

Malachi:
Yes, he should go try living in the woods. But barring that, he should stay and lurk, or at least limit himself to 3 posts per day or less. 20 posts/week. He should not leave the forums if he isnt going to live in the wilderness. He should stop posting videos no one wants to see. His links are usually good, however, and the conversation of questions typically ends when the other participant loses interest. This would be fine except it typically prompts Freedom4Me to post another useless video.

What would your preference be?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:27 PM | Locked

When reflecting on the question it should be taken into consideration that F4M does not really seem to represent the board culture of the forum, and avoids critical thinking when it comes to being questioned for his beliefs.  The irony is being on a Mises forum and talking about being anti-tech and living in the woods.  It should go without question Mises would belittle such remarks.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350
Aristippus replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:32 PM | Locked

Initially when I saw F4M's posts I engaged him in debate.  Then I realised that he didn't care for reason or evidence.  Then I stopped debating with him.  I don't know why some of you keep attempting to reason with him.  At least he provides some comedy.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:35 PM | Locked

Bert:
When reflecting on the question it should be taken into consideration that F4M does not really seem to represent the board culture of the forum, and avoids critical thinking when it comes to being questioned for his beliefs.  The irony is being on a Mises forum and talking about being anti-tech and living in the woods.  It should go without question Mises would belittle such remarks.

But oh it's funny!  It's entertaining to watch someone constantly make a fool of himself!  He should stay around because I like laughing at people!

(Has anyone else noticed this is basically the gist of every single response that is in favor of Freedom4Me73986 continuing to remain active on the forum?)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Freedom4Me73986 replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:39 PM | Locked

The irony is being on a Mises forum and talking about being anti-tech and living in the woods.  It should go without question Mises would belittle such remarks.

What you don't seem to realize is I came to my conclusions using logic and facts. Anarcho-primitivism sans the tree hugging is anarcho-capitalism and voluntaryism taken to their logical conclusions. Civilization is violent and involuntary. The state grew out of civilization, and this happened for a very obvious reason. Nowadays, the state is poisoning us and watching us at every moment. Fiat is being devalued so fast it will be worthless in ten years. Industrial agriculture is a tool of the state as well. It makes us dependent on state-controlled food and wipes out alternatives. It will bottom out soon enough and when that happens there will be a massive food crisis (look up topsoil and industrial ag if you don't believe me.)

So what is wrong w/ survivalism, self-sufficiency and skepticism about tech?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Apr 2 2012 5:40 PM | Locked
John James:

What would your preference be?

All of the above. I would prefer that he break his lease, sell everything except his bivvy sack and bowie knife, grow a beard, and go live in the woods for a few days, consider returning, but then think of all the laughter and mockery from the LVMI forums, decide to tough it out, and then after a few months realize that "life is so much easier now that I have a lean-to and hammock and deadfalls and fire, by the time I have kids, I will have built so much stuff that it will be smooth sailing out here in the wilderness...doh!" and realize that one hundred generations of cumulative technology might have an upside. Then he can come back to the forums and we can all lay into him. Personally I would like to be his survival instructor, but the only parts of wilderness survival I bothered to retain are the parts about killing stuff, eating it, and getting back to civ. Mostly getting back to civ, because I'm not a pilot, so the idea of me getting lost in the wilderness without beef jerky and instant coffee is laughable.

so yah, I think he should go live in the woods and then come back. What can I say, he makes me laugh.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Page 1 of 2 (74 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS