Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Karma and Society

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky Posted: Fri, Apr 6 2012 1:01 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I was wondering what others had to think.  I do not believe in individual karma - things happen to people that obviously don't deserve them, whether good or bad.  However, I wonder if it is relevant to society as a whole.  It seems to me that the prosperity of a society depends on how well a society follows the golden and silver rules.

I think the silver rule is essential to the well-being of a society, and the golden rule is icing on the cake.  The more a society violates the silver rule, the less prosperous it becomes.  Don't get me wrong, I am a methodological individualist, but the more individuals who believe it is okay to break the silver rule, the worse off most people become.  Obviously, some people gain no matter - the elite class.  But for the most part, everyone suffers.

Take Nazi Germany.  The majority of people in that society felt it was morally good to break the silver rule.  The more they broke it, the worse that society became for the masses, though of course certain populations suffered far more than others.  Though even in this case the elite class eventually suffered too.

Take America.  The periods of prosperity were when the silver rule was broken least.  In modern times, the silver rule is being broken a lot more now.  And of course, it should be pretty obvious to anyone on this forum to see the breakdown of American society (though I don't see any imminent danger of collapse).

I'm not really sure where I'm going with any of this, as it's probably pretty obvious to us, as libertarians, that the health of a society is directly linked to how the NAP is observed.  But in a way, it almost seems like karma is involved.  Nature will correct itself.  The more the state breaks the silver rule, the less people will respect it.  Eventually, either it will tone down its oppressive nature or it will crumble.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Ideas have consequences.  I think that is a fundamental Misean point if that is what you mean.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

I mean actions have consequences, and adherence to the Silver Rule is an indicator of the well-being of any society.  Breaking the silver rule on small scale results in suffering for the victims, but breaking the silver rule on a large scale results in suffering for far more than just the original victims.  And when enough people in a society are okay with that, it just goes downhill until there is some sort of correction.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Maybe.

But for me that would imply some type of utility graph or societal equilibrium theory that I am incapable of thinking about.  

I can say there are consequences to actions and ideas - if one calls a consequence a "correction", I guess I can go with that

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

But for me that would imply some type of utility graph or societal equilibrium theory that I am incapable of thinking about. 

Yeah, there is no way to say that American society is necessarily better or worse than Canadian society or German society, at least not objectively.  But in regards to my own values, I believe American society is better than North Korean society.  Of course, others can disagree (the elites in North Korean society).

I can say there are consequences to actions and ideas - if one calls a consequence a "correction", I guess I can go with that

Yeah.  I definitely wouldn't say there is some equilibrium that "corrections" will tend towards.  But I do think that after a certain amount of suffering in any given society there will be consequences that will tend to reverse the suffering to some degree.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 1:47 PM

This lecture is absolutely astounding:

There is little, if anything, that the Dalai Lama teaches in this lecture that is not completely consistent with a Misesean view of Human Action. Powerful stuff.

In particular, I would direct your attention to the 1 hour mark (the Dalai Lama delivers his lecture in Tibetan and his assistant translates) - at 1h:02m, he begins talking about Karmic action as the subset of causes-and-conditions which arise as a result of the action of a sentient being. When the Buddhists say "Karma is getting what you deserve" doesn't quite mean what we Westerners hear. Instead, they are saying that the world is causal and, therefore, the effects of whatever chain of events you set off by your own action are to be understood as self-caused. When you act in a way that sets off a chain of events that results in your own suffering, it is as if you are inflicting yourself with suffering at the moment you first act. This is why they teach that the cause of all suffering is ignorance, that is, ignorance of the long-run consequences of one's own actions.

Where I disagree with the Buddhists is on the attainability of nirvana (a kind of absolute satisfaction). I think Epicurus had it right with his conception of ataraxia (simply, absolute satisfaction) as a receding horizon point which can never be actually attained. Ataraxia, unlike Nirvana, is not a place that can be arrived at, it is only a direction that can be traveled in.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Yeah.  I definitely wouldn't say there is some equilibrium that "corrections" will tend towards.  But I do think that after a certain amount of suffering in any given society there will be consequences that will tend to reverse the suffering to some degree.

It would be interesting to see a "ground up" style change in life - but I think all "revolutions" from the Enlightenment on have been small groups of intellectuals / "ideologists" forming clever coups to serve their own needs.  

If anything - if a community is in turmoil and trying to "get better", it is probably just best to protect it from privliged class rabble rousers who are 1 step removed from controlling apparatus that can influence and centralize mass amounts of people.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800

Nothing lasts forever man.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 145
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 5:31 PM

This goes into various areas, for the individual and the individual's relation to society, but the breakdown of the Golden/Silver Rule appears to me as a cultural one, but I'm more inclined to disect higher and lower culture.  It reminds me of a clip I watched of Boyd Rice on a talk show discussing Satanism with some Christians in the early 90's.  The Christians proclaim that if you do something bad or negative, you'll pay for it later, in the after life, in judgement before God.  Boyd responded that [LaVeyan] Satanism teaches that if you do something bad, you'll pay for it now.  The alcoholic and his endless drinking pays for it with debt and bad health, the criminal pays in time, etc.  Now, LaVey was influenced by the likes of Nietzsche, Redbeard's "Might is Right," and possibly Rand, so even in his little Satanic Bible you find the NAP appear.

I think you can see affects of this in more localized areas, as if you went into a small country town and everyone's nice and cordial compared to that of being in a city and there's a "culture clash" of sorts, and it may appear that everyone's cold, blunt, and in a hurry.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 145

Alright, so this is my 3rd time writting this. Sometimes this forum is weird.

Clayton,

I think you're misunderstanding Nirvana. Nirvana has nothing to do with satisfaction and is actually about removing craving and desires.

The problem situation in Buddhism is that ultimately all things are suffering because ultimately all things change. To end suffering you have to remove all of your desires, wants, cravings, etc. . . and anything else that keeps you attatched to this world. So, to reach nirvana you would actually have to give up your desire for satisfaction and never be seeking after it, in fact not even wanting it or really caring about it one on or another.

It's much more complicated than this and ultimately ineffable, but essentially Nirvana is an understanding of reality and divorcing yourself from this world (and all other worlds in Buddhist cosmology) to end the cycle of rebirth and suffering.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 6:10 PM

@Zephyr:

For your forum issues, check this:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/23624.aspx

I think you're misunderstanding Nirvana. Nirvana has nothing to do with satisfaction and is actually about removing craving and desires.

I am using the term "satisfaction" in the Epicurean/Misesean sense in which it is formally synonymous with the cessation of any desire or craving. I understand that the everday meaning of satisfaction is not synonymous with Nirvana.

The problem situation in Buddhism is that ultimately all things are suffering because ultimately all things change. To end suffering you have to remove all of your desires, wants, cravings, etc. . . and anything else that keeps you attatched to this world. So, to reach nirvana you would actually have to give up your desire for satisfaction and never be seeking after it, in fact not even wanting it or really caring about it one on or another.

In my understanding, Buddhism is a more extreme or absolute version of Epicurean philosophy which says exactly the same thing - it is yearning or desire which is the root cause of suffering because whenever yearning arises and it is not satisfied, it results in suffering. Elimination of yearning or desire eliminates the possibility of suffering. However, Epicurus took a more moderate view regarding the eliminatability of yearning and felt that complete or absolute cessation of yearning was impossible because it is the necessary impetus to action - if you do not yearn, you will cease to act and if you do not act, you will cease to live.

Also, I think both Epicurean and Buddhist philosophy miss just how much headroom there is on the positive side of the equation, i.e. the possibility of expanding one's desires and attaining pleasure in the fulfillment of desires. Living this way in the modern environment (that is, not in the Ancestral Environment in which our ancestors evolved) is dangerous because there is a significant mismatch in many cases between what "feels right" and what is actually good for us. But, with the aid of study and discipline, I believe it is possible to overcome these hurdles and go beyond the conservative approach of Epicureanism/Buddhism to elimination of suffering and actually begin talking about flourishing, or the pleasure-filled life.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS