Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

debate videos

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro Posted: Fri, Apr 6 2012 7:25 PM

This is a thread for videos of great debates.  

I will start the bidding with Gnome Chomsky wiping the floor with that pusillanimous chief apologist for the state Buckley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-GUAxmxdk

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Interesting idea.

Peter Schiff's had some good ones:

May 2007 Peter Schiff Bulls & Bears Debate Part 1 of 5

Peter Schiff debates David Epstein of Columbia University -- Nov 11 2009

Peter Schiff Debates Doug Henwood on the Stimulus

UCLA Econ Debate - Peter Schiff, David Rosnick, and Roger Farmer

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,520

would if i could post a video straight on here... don't send the link of the newbies page instructing how to it doesn't help me. blush

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Two of the greatest debates I've ever seen- and in musical form as well!

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595

Here is a debate between libertarians Ron Paul & Doug Casey vs. conservatives Larry Abraham & Dinesh D'Souza on foreign policy.

Back when I was a neo-con, Part 6 was the one that really helped slap me awake. I saw that Paul just owned Dinesh, who I was a follower of at the time. Paul's summary of Robert Pape's book blew me away because it gave a different reason for why suicide terrorism exists besides a crazy belief in radical Islam, which is the only explanation I had heard up to that time.  His summary was such a good response that I memorized it and shared it with whoever would listen. I have often wished that Paul would debate like he does here in part 6 in the Republican debates:

Check out my video, Ron Paul vs Lincoln! And share my PowerPoint with your favorite neo-con
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50
nbome replied on Fri, Apr 6 2012 11:49 PM

GMU Econ Society Debate: Separation of Health & State

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 853
Points 17,830

Walter Block v A Room Full Of Statists

Walter Block spends half an hour making the case for privatizing roads and highways, then answers questions about it. The subsequent debate and discussion goes off on tangents, with Block giving an excellent, pithy description of a private law society to an audience utterly unfamiliar with the idea.  (This wider discussion begins at 37:20). 

How Much Government Is Necessary? - Stefan Molyneux v Michael Badnarik

An epic debate between Stefan Molyneux of Freedomain Radio and Michael Badnarik, 2004 Libertarian Presidential Candidate on the question 'How Much Government is Necessary?'  Molyneux argues the anarchist position that no government is necessary.  Badnarik defends the minarchist view that a small government, limited by a constitution, is necessary.

Resolved: It is Smart to get a PhD in Economics - Walter Block v Gary North

Walter Block argues in favor of the resolution.  Gary North argues against.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 80
Points 1,520

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 10:43 PM

Graham Wright:
How Much Government Is Necessary? - Stefan Molyneux v Michael Badnarik An epic debate between Stefan Molyneux of Freedomain Radio and Michael Badnarik, 2004 Libertarian Presidential Candidate on the question 'How Much Government is Necessary?'  Molyneux argues the anarchist position that no government is necessary.  Badnarik defends the minarchist view that a small government, limited by a constitution, is necessary.

I was going to post this. I don't think Badnarik really has any argument or that he logically addresses anything Molyneux puts forth, or that the debate is of much value except learning how to speak/perform persuasively in public. Molyneux delivers one of the most brilliant performances of public speaking and opposing another public speaker I have ever witnessed; its a great bonus that he is defending anarchism. I think there is a lot to challenge Molyneux on philosophically and regarding his manipulating people for money, but I can't say I've ever seen a better public performance as far as being captivating and persuasive (truth or falsity of his ideas notwithstanding).

Also, this thread is much needed.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Wed, Apr 11 2012 10:37 AM

From Tom Woods:

Technological Pessimism and Optimism

That’s how this debate is being described, anyway. It’s between Peter Thiel and George Gilder, both interesting guys, but with drastically different perspectives on the future prospects for technology..

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Debate: Government Spending Can Play an Important Role in Boosting Economic Growth

Karl Smith vs. Robert P. Murphy

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 355

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 10:07 PM

Seen a LOT of debates. None as gripping as this:

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Why Do Economists Disagree?

featuring Joseph Salerno, Jeffrey Miron, Graciela Chichilnisky, and Robert H. Frank (moderator)

The introductions of the panel start at 4:25, the actual discussion starts at 9:30.

(I will warn you...there are a lot of abhorrent notions put forth in this discussion (particularly by the moderator...which, what exactly makes him a moderator in this discussion I'm not sure), and Salerno doesn't talk near enough to even begin to balance out the discussion.  I was actually quite disappointed at how silent he was.  And in the few times he did speak, I don't think he did enough to actually present the opposing understanding.  However it was refreshing and promising to see at least two Austrians from the audience come to the microphone.)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

Isn't Gnome Chomsky a severe statist?

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:12 PM

Depends on how you define "statist".  I think Noam Chomsky would be fine with the label "anarcho-syndicalist"...which...

Anarcho-Syndicalism: A Recipe for Ruin  

Syndical Syndrome  

Chomsky’s Economics

Critique of Anarcho-Syndicalism

Substantial critique of An-Syndicalism?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

John James:

Depends on how you define "statist".  I think Noam Chomsky would be fine with the label "anarcho-syndicalist"...which...

Anarcho-Syndicalism: A Recipe for Ruin

Syndical Syndrome

Chomsky’s Economics

Critique of Anarcho-Syndicalism

Substantial critique of An-Syndicalism?

At the very least relative to Buckley. Chomsky is more of a statist than him.

Simply skimming the first tlink, it seems almost like anarcho-communism.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS