Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The denial of momentum trading...

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
782 Posts
Points 19,110
mickanomics posted on Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:39 AM

I have just written a short piece on momentum trading on my blog. I'd be interested in your comments.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

I think you are describing a branch of the topic known as speculation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculation

If that is the case, then it explains why it is not seriously studied.

To explain what I mean, assume many people [say 75% of humanity] decided whether or not to buy stocks or houses by reading tea leaves or rolling dice. Would tea leaves then become a topic for serious economic research?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
782 Posts
Points 19,110

"Would tea leaves then become a topic for serious economic research?". In a way yes. Economics is the study of the aggregate behaviour of the entirity of economic agents. You can't avoid taking into account the actions of significant sized groups just because you disaprove of what they are doing.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

Momentum trading is of interest to traders, not economists. If you've found a pattern, by all means, exploit it and become rich. Rising prices do, indeed, discourage purchases - this is as true in speculative markets as it is in any market. You've never heard the term "overbought"? If it were not the case that rising prices discourage purchases (and can even encourage purchases), I would think that the stock price of Google would be close to $1M/share by now.

While people do, in fact, buy high and sell low, this is an unprofitable strategy. Those who engage in such strategies (whether based on momentum trading theories or otherwise) are dispossessed of their trading funds by those who follow the only profitable strategy of buying low and selling high.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 150 Contributor
Male
782 Posts
Points 19,110

"Rising prices do, indeed, discourage purchases" - really? Where were you in 2007? People were in a frenzy of house purchasing precisely because prices were rising so consistantly.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

"Rising prices do, indeed, discourage purchases" - really? Where were you in 2007? People were in a frenzy of house purchasing precisely because prices were rising so consistantly.

So then buy a house and become rich, my friend. After all, home prices must be rising faster than ever today.

Clayton -

Top 150 Contributor
Male
782 Posts
Points 19,110

"So then buy a house and become rich, my friend." - You have missed my point entirely. I am not advocating momentum trading, merely pointing out that a lot of it goes on and therefore its consequences need to be considered by economists.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

a lot of it goes on

I think something like 90+% of all new businesses fail within 3 years. So yeah, lots of unprofitable ventures go on. Buying high and selling low on the stock market is just one of innumerable examples of unprofitable business strategies. Identifying common mistakes that lead to the collapse of unprofitable business ventures is certainly a valuable area of study.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

mickanomics:

[...] actions of significant sized groups[...]

This must be a euphemism because the each member of the group acts, not literately the group. But yeah, the members could act in unison.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

mickanomics:

Right. And they lost money and then stopped buying houses because they had no more money because they used an unprofitable strategy. But there were also people who were discouraged from buying houses; for example, Peter Schiff, Marc Faber and Jim Rogers.

This is why it is important to remember that an individual acts, not a group. Within a group of people, there can be people who are encourage as well as people who are discouraged; however, to try to aggregate their actions can lead to wrong conclusions.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Clayton:
I think something like 90+% of all new businesses fail within 3 years. [...]

What does this statistic mean? Are these business that go bankrupt, or shut down by the government, or "temporary/seasonal" business, or businesses that have pivoted?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

@Muffinburg: I just take it to mean that people have lots of dumb business ideas to produce things that consumers aren't actually demanding.

Clayton -

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS