Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Gandhi probably would have been killed...

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection Posted: Sat, Apr 7 2012 9:02 PM

If he was trying peaceful activism under Hitler, Mao, or Stalin

I think during a peaceful demonstration that goes against the interest of the powers it is protesting that could crush you at any second it wants - we should  at least think about the people who allow the demonstrations to take place, and why that's allowed.

Also if you are allowed to be a "peaceful activist", I would suggest to you to wonder if you are a "useful idiot" 3rd party for a much larger power than yourself.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Also, I wonder if he was killed under the fashionable Mao if he would have been labled as a controversial "right wing,backward, tribalistic nationalist"

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

Was there not nonviolent resistance by Norwegians during WWII, and by Czechs against the Soviet Union?

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

WWII Norwegians, I have no clue on

The Czechs (I assume you're talking about '68?), I  may have thought differently (and perhaps incorrectly) as to what happened.   I will differ to your point of view on these situations, as my knowledge of them it is very very limited.

could do a quick sum up, or post a link to quick reading material that you find satisfactory so I can see what you're getting at?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

Nope! I was hoping you knew, or someone else would chime in. I couldn't find anything after 30 seconds on google, and gave up.

I was thinking of Carl Watner's essay here, in which he cites "The resistance of over 14,000 Norwegian teachers and clergymen to Nazi rule during World War II" and the Czech resistance in 68-69. He does not credit a source for these two claims directly, but I think he got them from:

Summy, Ralph. 1994. “Nonviolence and the Case of the Extremely Ruthless
Opponent.” Pacifica Review 6 (May/June): 1–29.

Which seems right up your alley, given your question. I'm gonna try to track down a free pdf.

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Apr 8 2012 5:23 PM
Well, he wouldnt have been able to achieve the same success using the exact same methods. The end-state of one's own assassination isnt a direct refutation of one's ideological goals, provided it occurs sufficiently late in one's career.

Jesus of Nazareth proved that communication is more powerful than violence. You just have to articulate your message sufficiently, people will follow you for thousands of years.

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 320
Elfdemon replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 11:25 PM

Prague Spring was suppressed by the Soviet Union violently, with its army occupying the whole country briefly.

As for the Norwegians, Nazi Germany was actually a very weak, and relatively benovolent dictatorship so I'm not surpised that peaceful demonstration happened. There was a protest by hundreds of German woman demanding the return of their jewish husbands. The Germany government subsequantly released their husbands, the protest was a success. Such thing would never happen in contemporary Soviet Union, or Imperial Japan.

Ghandi would not succeed in communist countries. Similar movements can be found in China, e.g. Tibet, East Turkestan etc. they all adopt a non-violent approach and they all failed. China continue to pour han-chinese into these areas and suppress the local culture and ethnicities.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS