Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is Civilization Evil?

This post has 444 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

I'm no longer sure what you mean by the word 'civilization'. Do you define it as 'anything that happens after we start planting our food instead of foraging'?

Civilization is cities. Civ can't exist w/o agriculture.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 1:23 AM

From wiktionary on civilization:

civilization (plural civilizations)

1. An organized culture encompassing many communities, often on the scale of a nation or a people; a stage or system of social, political or technical development.
    the Aztec civilization
    Western civilization
    Modern civilization is a product of industrialization and globalization.
  2. (uncountable) Human society, particularly civil society.
    A hermit doesn't much care for civilization.
    I'm glad to be back in civilization after a day with that rowdy family.

Civilization is not limited to cities.  There have been nomadic civilizations.  Nomadic civilizations exist without agriculture.  So, you are against people creating stationary shelter?  Do you even believe in shelter?  I suppose a home that isn't a natural cave would be too much technology for you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 3:11 AM

Freedom4Me73986:

Why, then, is the world population estimated at 7 billion people and growing?  This would seem to directly contradict your claim.

Wrong. Birthrates in most white countries are at an all-time low. The only people in the world who breed like bunnies are the ones who live in places where the average lifespan is way lower.

This is actually because people choose to have less children as a function of wealth, not any sinister reason. When you can afford condoms, you control when you have children and also how many. When children cost more to raise because each child needs to have a ton of education to survive in a civilized society, people also cut back. Children used to be a boon because families needed the labor, when 90% of families ran farms. Now children are more a burden.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 3:31 AM

This is actually because people choose to have less children as a function of wealth, not any sinister reason. When you can afford condoms, you control when you have children and also how many. When children cost more to raise because each child needs to have a ton of education to survive in a civilized society, people also cut back. Children used to be a boon because families needed the labor, when 90% of families ran farms. Now children are more a burden.

I know this is the conventional wisdom but I think there are a lot of good reasons to doubt it. First of all, I think that "net reproductive success" is one of the most important factors driving high childbirths. When your children have a low probability of surviving young childhood, a reproductive strategy is to simply have more children. Then there are cultural/political factors.

I think the idea that people have children because "they can't help it from happening" is basically false. You've never heard of non-vaginal sex? It doesn't lead to pregnancy and I've heard reports that it can be quite satisfying. Even cavemen (and cavewomen) could manage that form of birth-control. If the only thing holding back the floodgates of childbirths is contraception, ask yourself why every woman before about AD 1960 didn't have at least 12 to 16 children.

I think that the supposedly negative correlation between wealth and fertility is also false - the more wealthy a family, the more children they have at least within the US. Look it up, US fertility statistics are positively correlated with household size all the way up the socioeconomic ladder. Rich people have more children. That people in richer countries have less children than people in poorer countries shouldn't be a mystery given the reproductive strategy for low childhood survival rates - have more kids! In addition, cultural factors need to be taken into account. People in the US today have fewer children than people in the US circa 1950, yet the US is roughly the richest nation in the world as it was in 1950.

I've written on the economics of reproduction here. I don't agree now with everything I wrote then but I think that the general gist still holds: reproduction is a market and reasoning about it in other terms - as all popular discussion on the topic invariably does - leads to confused and useless conclusions.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Read this blog to know why/how your being poisoned by your food.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Do you have another website to tell me how I'm being poisoned by using the Internet??

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

From wiktionary on civilization:

civilization (plural civilizations)

1. An organized culture encompassing many communities, often on the scale of a nation or a people; a stage or system of social, political or technical development.
    the Aztec civilization
    Western civilization
    Modern civilization is a product of industrialization and globalization.
  2. (uncountable) Human society, particularly civil society.
    A hermit doesn't much care for civilization.
    I'm glad to be back in civilization after a day with that rowdy family.

Civilization is not limited to cities.  There have been nomadic civilizations.  Nomadic civilizations exist without agriculture.  So, you are against people creating stationary shelter?  Do you even believe in shelter?  I suppose a home that isn't a natural cave would be too much technology for you.

How are nomads a "civilization?"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:09 PM

How are nomads a "civilization?"

Because they fit the definition of a civilization given in the quote directly above your question. The Bedouin, for example, were (and still are though dying out) a great civilization that has had a major impact on modern civilization.

Clayton -

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

So now we're playing semantics?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:53 PM

No, we're playing "words have a definite meaning."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

No, we're playing "words have a definite meaning."

I wouldn't mind doing a topic on this.  The minute someone says "words don't mean anything" they are as a rule speaking nonsense and can no longer enter conversation. 

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

No primitivist would call non-ag societies "civilizations." How can you have a civ if your only hunting and gathering?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Not that it matters mr "Anarcho Capitalist", but here is Rothbard:

http://mises.org/daily/1607

http://mises.org/daily/3009

Seriously, switch names you're an anarcho-primitisvist; you've nothing to do with capitalism

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 11:37 PM

F4M:

No primitivist would call non-ag societies "civilizations." How can you have a civ if your only hunting and gathering?

You can if it is "[a]organized culture encompassing many communities, often on the scale of a nation or a people; a stage or system of social, political or technical development."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Not that it matters mr "Anarcho Capitalist", but here is Rothbard:

http://mises.org/daily/1607

http://mises.org/daily/3009

Seriously, switch names you're an anarcho-primitisvist; you've nothing to do with capitalism

So being an anarcho-capitalist means agreeing with everything Rothbard said?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 11:43 PM

F4M:

Vive has a good point.  You have nothing to do with capitalism, anarchist or otherwise.  Nevermind the division of labor and markets, you need CAPITAL for there to be capitalism.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

F4M:

Vive has a good point.  You have nothing to do with capitalism, anarchist or otherwise.  Nevermind the division of labor and markets, you needCAPITAL for there to be capitalism.

Capitalism is free markets. Markets exist inherently. Property rights exist inherently. What makes you think capitalism wouldn't reemerge after civ's collapse?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 12:15 AM

Wiktionary on Capitalism:

Noun

capitalism (countable and uncountable; plural capitalisms)

1. (politics, uncountable) a socio-economic system based on private property rights, including the private ownership of resources or capital, with economic decisions made largely through the operation of an unregulated market.
  2. (economics, uncountable) a socio-economic system based on the abstraction of resources into the form of privately-owned capital, with economic decisions made largely through the operation of an unregulated market.
  3. (countable) a specific variation or implementation of either such socio-economic system.

You need capital for capitalism.  Capital is something you hate.  Therefore, you hate capitalism.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 12:16 AM

Wiktionary on Capitalism:

Noun

capitalism (countable and uncountable; plural capitalisms)

1. (politics, uncountable) a socio-economic system based on private property rights, including the private ownership of resources or capital, with economic decisions made largely through the operation of an unregulated market.
  2. (economics, uncountable) a socio-economic system based on the abstraction of resources into the form of privately-owned capital, with economic decisions made largely through the operation of an unregulated market.
  3. (countable) a specific variation or implementation of either such socio-economic system.

You need capital for capitalism.  Capital is something you hate.  Therefore, you hate capitalism.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 12:18 AM

Yuck, I hate posts pending moderation.  F4M, you will see my post eventually.  Capitalism requires capital.  Look it up in a dictionary.  It is not just markets.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

And BTW I read those Rothbard writings your linking to a long time ago when I was considering rejecting civilization. Here's what you need to understand: civilization is NOT sustainable. It WILL collapse. I don't need "scientific studies" to prove this. Everything I know indicates this is true.

Rothbard doesn't even define primitivism properly. Primitivism is rejecting civ. Capitalism and markets are an innate characteristic of all human groups that is not dependent upon civ. This failure to properly define civ, primitivism and capitalism alone is grounds for dismissal of your silly assumptions about primitivism and capitalism.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Capitalism requires capital.

I carve a branch into a spear. That's capital.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 12:39 AM

It's a capital good. To have capital per se, you need a general medium of exchange (money).

Clayton -

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

What makes you think money needs civilization to exist?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 12:47 AM

Probably because an indirect medium of exchange requires "[a]organized culture encompassing many communities, often on the scale of a nation or a people; a stage or system of social, political or technical development."

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Let me ask you this: do you think hunter-gatherers have "civilization" according to your def?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 1:20 AM

If it fits the definition, then yes...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

So your saying civilization has always existed?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 1:45 AM

I did not say that.  I said if it fits the definition, then a hunter-gatherer society could be a civilization.  Obviously, if you run around in the woods by yourself, or perhaps even with a woman (zing!), then no, that would not constitute a civilization.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

You need to read this and maybe then you'll change your mind about what a great thing civilization is. There's unquestionable evidence that ag was the worst thing to happen to humans.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:40 AM

F4M:

There's unquestionable evidence that ag was the worst thing to happen to humans in my opinion.

Fixed it for you.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

F4M:

There's unquestionable evidence that ag was the worst thing to happen to humans in my opinion.

Fixed it for you.

Who cares? Ag is not sustainable, creates overpopulation, creates statism and will collapse sooner then later. All the worlds land will be farmed-out within the next 50 years and I'm expecting massive wars over resources to feed populations. Anyone with a brain would see the benefit in homesteading virgin lands and taking up a hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Also, I'm going to stack up on gold and silver in case I need to go back into civ every once and a while to trade. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

vive la insurrection:

Unfortunately I've already been on that merry-go-round...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

vive la insurrection:

Unfortunately I've already been on that merry-go-round...

Again, you don't need a civilization to have a market. Markets exist inherently.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Freedom4Me73986:
vive la insurrection:
Unfortunately I've already been on that merry-go-round...Again, you don't need a civilization to have a market. Markets exist inherently.

What the hell does that have to do with your oxymoronic label for yourself?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

Who cares? Ag is not sustainable, creates overpopulation, creates statism and will collapse sooner then later. All the worlds land will be farmed-out within the next 50 years and I'm expecting massive wars over resources to feed populations. Anyone with a brain would see the benefit in homesteading virgin lands and taking up a hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

i'm not quite getting how you'd escape these massive wars. Besides that it seems to me like the complaint about overpopulation is kinda silly- if there's less people around because there's no agriculture, why is that a good thing? I don't think hunter-gatherer lifestyles are sustainable. Get a cut, get an infection, and find that the plants around you are not good enough as compared to an antibiotic and goodbye 

Page 3 of 12 (445 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS