Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is Civilization Evil?

This post has 444 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Freedom4Me73986:

Hunting and gathering (I don't hunt I only gather) accumulates food in rhythm with nature. H/Gs never have scarcity because they don't gather more then they need for food.

How would a person protect himself from lions and tigers? Could he set up fortress and still be called a hunter/gatherer?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 2:18 PM

Dan, you forgot "bear", oh my!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Could he set up fortress and still be called a hunter/gatherer?

Yes. In fact I'm planning on building a survival shelter on the land I homestead.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 2:41 PM

Maybe you can convince the bears in New Hampshire to honor the NAP.  cool

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Freedom4Me73986:

Could he set up fortress and still be called a hunter/gatherer?

Yes. In fact I'm planning on building a survival shelter on the land I homestead.

How are you going to go about doing so? Where will you get the materials from? And how will you protect yourself until your finished build it?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • How are you going to go about doing so? Where will you get the materials from? And how will you protect yourself until your finished build it?

Well you see, I'll just homestead some property with a tree that grows steel hand tools, and pick a few of them...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

This is an example of a survival shelter made from 100% natural materials.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/3984061273_64ee3eede7.jpg

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 6:43 PM

The water-proof urethane tarp, nylon/cotton canvas sleeping bag and Gore-Tex+aluminum hiking pack are a nice touch.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Clayton:

The water-proof urethane tarp, nylon/cotton canvas sleeping bag and Gore-Tex+aluminum hiking pack are a nice touch.

Clayton -

Let's not forget the camera used to take the photo.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Freedom4Me73986:

I don't see how this survival shelter will protect you from bears.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 7:14 PM

@Daniel: Those branches are much stronger than they appear.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Freedom4Me73986:

Why do you think bears are a problem in NH?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 12:10 AM

F4M:

What happens if you come across one?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 12:26 AM

So when the natural cycle of replenishment gives you only half of what you need to survive, you don't need to expand, and you won't starve?

Also, Black Bear population of NH is about 4000 I think. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

So when the natural cycle of replenishment gives you only half of what you need to survive, you don't need to expand, and you won't starve?

Also, Black Bear population of NH is about 4000 I think. 

You don't get it. I'm living by myself on this land. There should be plenty enough for me to survive. And humans can survive w/o food for nearly a week.

And how do you know bears are numerous where I am? I plan on going into the Upper Valley (near Grafton NH which is by far the most peaceful place in the state.)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 1:11 AM

*Should be*?

Nature isn't a static basket that magically renews a set amount of resources every year. We're talking months of privation from natural climactic cycles here. Too cold years, too hot, too wet or dry, fires etc.

Grafton is one of the counties in NH which has a healthy black bear population.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Freedom4Me73986:

Freedom4Me73986:

Straw man. I'm asking you about threats from animals in general.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 1:33 AM

And humans can survive w/o food for nearly a week.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • I don't see how this survival shelter will protect you from bears.
  •  

It won't.  But seeing as how F4M will likely have little or no surplus food supply and probably frequently flirting with starvation, the bears probably won't bother him.

Also "How do you know there will be bears?"  A laugh riot!  It's the Northeast wilderness dude, black bears abound.  You would really have to have not done any camping or hiking in the region to know that.  You are going to die of exposure after your wilderness-survival-weekend shelter fails you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 8:49 AM

According to this website there are also bobcats, coyotes and raccoons.

Also evil mooses.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Most of those animals aren't even a threat to humans. Survival shelters are perfectly capable of protecting against bears and coyotes. Animals (unlike civilized man) never kill unless they have to. Leave a coyote alone and he won't attack you.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 1:45 PM

Tell that to my brother and cousins who were "pursued" by a mountain lion in Arkansas through the woods.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 1:50 PM

A lone coyote certainly isn't going to attack you but you're trying to lump that with the other animals mentioned? Have you ever even been to a city park? From the naivete of your posts, I get the impression that you've lived your entire life without setting foot outside the 32nd story of whatever downtown apartment complex you live in.

As much as you annoy some of us, we certainly don't want to see you dead. So, please, do us all a favor and don't try living in the woods, at least, not on your own. Find someone who actually grew up in the outdoors and understands the do's and don'ts.

Clayton -

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Eugenisits call for global depopulation (can only happen because of tech)

A lone coyote certainly isn't going to attack you but you're trying to lump that with the other animals mentioned? Have you ever even been to a city park? From the naivete of your posts, I get the impression that you've lived your entire life without setting foot outside the 32nd story of whatever downtown apartment complex you live in.

I live in NH and have been to the woods many times. I've camped in the woods for over a week. Why do you think I'm ignorant?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

The reason people think you're ignorant is because you keep making ignorant statements, like "bears won't be a problem in New Hampshire" and thinking that some (poorly constructed) emergency wilderness shelter is proper shelter in the long run.

Camping a week in the "woods" doesn't make you an expert, and the fact that you present that it as a badge of experience is telling.  I've done my fair share of camping, hiking, and wilderness survival over the years, and everything about your expectations screams "I have no idea what I'm really talking about".

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 5:24 PM

+1 LE - I'm no expert outdoorsman but I've camped longer than a week at a stretch and at least I know I'm no expert outdoorsman! It's one thing to be ignorant but quite another to be ignorant of your own ignorance.

Clayton -

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 6:34 PM

I get pretty worked up when people spout ignorant assery like "animals unlike humans don't kill unless they have to". I mean, the common housecat will torture mice to death for fun and leave their cadavers lying uneaten, and wolves and bears will go batshit crazy on flocks of sheep, killing far more than they can eat. 

And really, depopulation can only happen because of tech? What do you think would happen if everyone went to live the way you preach? Mass starvation and depopulation. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 6:42 PM

You get between a mother moose and its offspring and it will ruin your shit, and of course the males are crazy during mating season. You won't be able to store any food at your shelter, because both shelter and food will attract them, and make them far more likely to attack. (Unless you bury the food.)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

The reason people think you're ignorant is because you keep making ignorant statements, like "bears won't be a problem in New Hampshire" and thinking that some (poorly constructed) emergency wilderness shelter is proper shelter in the long run.

Camping a week in the "woods" doesn't make you an expert, and the fact that you present that it as a badge of experience is telling.  I've done my fair share of camping, hiking, and wilderness survival over the years, and everything about your expectations screams "I have no idea what I'm really talking about".

What makes you think I'm not doing my own research on primitive survival?

And really, depopulation can only happen because of tech? What do you think would happen if everyone went to live the way you preach? Mass starvation and depopulation. 

There's a huge difference between deliberately torturing/killing people vs. letting them starve. No one has any entitlement to anything so why should I care if others starve after civ collapses? 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

So,

to be a capitalist, and follow through with it is the logical vision of the civilized order massively starving while civilization collapses?  This is the impression you get when reading Austrian Economists?

that's what true capitalism is?

No offense dude, but the only people who don't mind watching millions of people die and civ collapsing are some radical lefists.  I think one used to post here named Francoise Tremblay.  You should talk to him on all-left, you'll both hate eachother, but you have a lot in common

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

H/Gs lived in 100% voluntary societies. They have no monopoly on violence and freely exchanged everything. Anarcho-primitivism IS anarcho-capitalism. States manifest themselves through technology now. The only way to truly rid ourselves of coercion is to get rid of tech, get rid of dependency relationships (agriculture creates dependency where people become dependent on others instead of self-relient) and get rid of collectivism which manifests itself through civilization. I don't want to destroy anything of course. I want to commit myself to a pure survivalist lifestyle and watch civ collapse on its own.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

That wasn't my point.

My question is: do you think this was in the mind of the Austrians of how "pure" capitalism was going to function.

Some people (non economists usually) at LRC, etc may be all about surivialism or whatever - but they see it as comming because the capitalistic / market order is deteriorating

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Simple: I took  the NAP to its logical conclusions. What's the point of trying to convince everyone to adhere to the NAP if your not addressing the roots of most aggression? Without civilization there's NO way we'd see aggression.

Want proof that tech functions as a gov-sponsored mind control device?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I want you to repeat back to me what you think my point is.

And finally, as I already stated, I will not be viewing videos, links, etc.  I just want your typed answers 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

The Origins of War

Organized collective violence is a staple of civilization. It only follows to be anti-civ if you believe in complete non-aggression.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

This is a random subject from a random Wikipedia article:

The Iliad (sometimes referred to as the Song of Ilion or Song of Ilium) is an epic poem  written in dactylic hexameters, traditionally attributed to Homer. Set during the Trojan War, the ten-year siege of the city of Troy (Ilium) by a coalition of Greek states, it tells of the battles and events during the weeks of a quarrel between King Agamemnon and the warrior Achilles.

Although the story covers only a few weeks in the final year of the war, the Iliad mentions or alludes to many of the Greek legends about the siege; the earlier events, such as the gathering of warriors for the siege, the cause of the war, and related concerns tend to appear near the beginning. Then the epic narrative takes up events prophesied for the future, such as Achilles' looming death and the sack of Troy, prefigured and alluded to more and more vividly, so that when it reaches an end, the poem has told a more or less complete tale of the Trojan War.

Along with the Odyssey, also attributed to Homer, the Iliad is among the oldest extant works of Western literature, and its written version is usually dated to around the eighth century BC.[1] The Iliad contains over 15,000 lines, and is written in Homeric Greek, a literary amalgam of Ionic Greek with other dialects.

Can you type back to me and give me a sum up what these paragraphs are saying?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

delete - double post

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 7:16 AM

On a side note I feel like watching Troy now.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 11:58 AM

Hang on, I believe I have a youtube playlist that vaguely references something that may or may not have anything to do with this wiki-article. It's my lady gaga best of list.

Page 6 of 12 (445 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS