Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Rothbard refuted!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
267 Posts
Points 5,370
Meistro posted on Wed, Apr 11 2012 5:39 PM

Say what?

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/bcaplan/whyaust.htm

I don't really understand everything this dude is saying but it's definitely an interesting read.  I think I see a few flaws in his thinking but I will let more learned mines rebut his criticisms (or accept them!)

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Male
814 Posts
Points 14,875

I don't see why new posters, before they bring up a topic, need to search the forum to see if it has been done before. If they bring an old topic up just politely direct them to the threads in question.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Excel - I like your thinking.

Torsten - Smiling Dave doesn't think so.

Plus, you're asking a biased audience whether the rejection of their views is valid. I'm not sure that's the best way to explode possible fallacies in the Austrian school.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The biases of the audience are a factor to consider. Not a hindrance to debating the existence of any actual fallacies within the school.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 150 Contributor
Male
753 Posts
Points 18,750

@Torsten

You're mistaken. Caplan is as libertarian as they come as are most the faculty at GMU. His refutation is against Austrian Economics not libertarianism.

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
633 Posts
Points 11,275

I don't see how he really refutes Austrianism as economic theory. He does however highlight some areas to reconsider (i.e. utility versus value).

The public goods argument is sometimes used against libertarianism and anarcho-capitalism. 

So it was a bit funny to me that Caplan brought that up. However I will have to go through that again.  

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS