Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Is Rand Paul the real deal?

This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Tue, Apr 17 2012 1:18 AM

In this thread as well as here and elsewhere people have complained or more or less attacked Rand Paul for being "not as principled" as his father, or "too statist" or various other things along the lines of basically not "being libertarian enough".

I will grant that his rhetoric is much more curbed than Ron's, and he sounds like more of a compromiser than you'd assume he would be, but his actions speak differently.

Here's the latest example:

Another Reason Rand Paul is the Real Deal

From Reason:

Dobner is now on a one-woman crusade to make Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) pay. See, as Jacob Sullum noted in February, Paul is the guy blocking the Senate vote to have the Drug Enforcement Administration reclassify synthetic marijuana and other synthetic drugs as schedule 1. He’s the one, Dobner believes as paraphrased by theDaily News, who is “putting his libertarian principles before the lives of young people.”

He also ignored 15 phone calls from Dobner in which she pleaded for him to pass the bill. Ergo, “He has blood on his hands.”

There are a number of Ron Paul supporters and libertarians who have been skeptical of Rand Paul. Ever since I first heard that he was running for office, I been in favor of giving him the benefit of the doubt. He was endorsed by Ron Paul after all and at worst he would likely still be one of the 2 or 3 most libertarian Senators.

However, the more I see of Rand in the Senate, the more I am convinced that he is the real deal. He speaks about issues with a much more moderate rhetoric than his father, but talk is cheap and when it comes down to it, I think he proving to be about as libertarian as I could have hoped for. This is just another example of taking a very libertarian policy stance and masking it in a much more moderate, softer rhetoric than Ron Paul might have. I don’t have any problems with him playing the game if he can keep scoring policy victories on behalf of libertarians.

And as I said, this is but just the latest example....

Rand Paul Brings Senate to a Standstill

Rand Paul Blocks New Iran Sanctions

Rand Paul Speaks Out Against Corporate Welfare

Rand Paul Heroic Seven Hour Filibuster

Rand Paul Single Handedly Stops Amendment that Would Have Allowed the Government to Detain American Citizens Indefinitely

Rand Paul Returns $500,000 to the U.S. Treasury

Rand Paul Single-Handedly Halts a Potential Future Military Confrontation with Russia

Rand Paul Grills Geithner

Rand Paul Launches Petition to Kill Online Piracy Bills

I could go on and on.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Rand Paul backs Iranian sanctions the same night he votes against the orignial NDAA.

"Shortly before final passage, the Senate unanimously backed crippling sanctions on Iran as fears about Tehran developing a nuclear weapon outweighed concerns about driving up oil prices that would hit economically strapped Americans at the gas pump. The vote was 100-0."

Rand is a politician.

Thisw is good, but...

Corporations are people because we own stock in them!

Rand Paul, scoring points with the much favored Romney crowd.  Can corporations exist without a contract with the State?  0_o

In a response to the same Romney quote Ron Paul says,

"Obviously they’re not. People are individuals, they’re not groups and they’re not companies. Individuals have rights, they’re not collective. You can’t duck that. So individuals should be responsible for corporations, but they shouldn’t be a new creature, so to speak. Rights and obligations should be always back to the individual."

For such a large political implication, Ron Paul doesn't mince words.  Rand does.

Partisan, partisan, and token.  Cashing in on his fathers tradition; a good thing, but also a simple political gesture.

This is good.  I don't know what Lieberman, Graham, and McCain et al are thinking...

"protect copyright in ways that don’t kill jobs or shred the Constitution." -- Rand Paul

The Constitutional parameters for copyright protection have already been violated to the point of virtual unrecognition.  I'm sure Ron Paul would be all over making sure Disney owns all of those celtic/irish folk stories.   Also a token gesture as nothing official ever made its way through.  His gesture was part of a wave of activity against the bills.

I'm not "against" him, but he takes the side of the Establishment on the big things (except that NATO/Georgia thing).  Corporate Personhood is a good topic to combine part of the liberal agenda with our own.

Obviously no one benefits from war.  Rand need not contribute to the starving of the Iranian people.  He doesn't want to give aid to foreigners, but why does he want to prevent them from living?

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

I responded, but it is awaiting moderation...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 6:54 AM

"Talk is cheap". Well said. Rand Paul is the best!

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

I'll support him if he runs in 2016 or 2020, but it may or may not be be with all of the enthusiasm that I've given his father for the past 5 years.

I didn't like the balanced budget amendment he proposed even if it was better than the one proposed by the establishment (the Browne Amendment with a few additions, a repeal of the 17th Amendment with a few additions, an Amendment requiring Van Buren's independent Subtreasury system as well as requiring the government to collect revenues exclusively in gold by weight or silver by weight and that also repeals centralized taxation powers would go much further toward balancing the budget). 

He doesn't seem to think as creatively as his father does.  Ron Paul's frontal lobes are superhuman.

Should he be the leader against the looming Iran War and if he votes against it at every chance, then I'll enthusiastically support him.

I'll admit John James is right about him being the most libertarian senator.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:16 PM

No2statism:
I'll admit John James is right about him being the most libertarian senator.

Well, I never said that, but since you bring it up, I would be pretty shocked if someone could find one who is "more libertarian".

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

You're right, Reason said he was one of the most libertarian senators:) 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Well, to be accurate, Patrick McEwen at The Capital Free Press said that.  As you can see from the indenting, he was the one writing the whole thing, as a response to the 5 sentences quoted from Reason.  yes

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

OKAY idiot moderators.

I typed a F**$&&$^$ response to this last night.  There was nothing bad in it.  I'm furious to see it not posted.

POST IT.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

No, fuck that.  These idiot mods that run this place have done this to me twice.

All I did was reorganize the links you made and provided a few of my own.  They claim to "moderate" the post becuase of so many links.  But, then are derilict in their actual "duty" (something they crown on themselves).

My response will not be posted and all of the time I put into it wasted.

FUCK THE MODS HERE.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You stay classy, phany! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

One would think you'd say something different.  You say that at every opportunity.  You lack creativity and are in no position to judge morality of others (the way you love to do). 

JJ, do you need another psychotherapy session?  I won't charge you for it.

I'm not backing off the idiot mod restrictions.

What kind of anarchist forum requires mods to approve posts?

A phony anarchist forum, I would think.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Also, Rand did support the initial passage of the Iranian sanctions.  Just because he stalled on new ones doesn't mean he didn't support them first.  He is a politician.

He also stands up for corporate personhood "Corporations are people because we all own stock in them."  He doesn't at all have the understanding of rights that his father promotes. (Some libertarian...)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Aristophanes:
You say that at every opportunity.

You know, one can't really be sure...you give so many 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 8:07 PM

What kind of anarchist forum requires mods to approve posts?

A private anarchist forum?

But I do agree - I've had a bunch of posts which have not gone through moderation.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

A private anarchist forum?

FORUM - market-/public place, forum

Doesn't quite mean the same thing in ENglish, but you get the idea.

But I do agree - I've had a bunch of posts which have not gone through moderation.

They are lost.  I doubt anyone checks them...THAT is what pisses me off.

JJ posts a slew of links, then I quoted him and placed my own links. [NONMODERATION]  Had my post posted, JJ would have been forced to respond to the points I made instead of jacking off all over himself with emoticons in his thoughtless lost plot posts.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Aristophanes:
JJ would have been forced to respond to the points I made instead of jacking off all over himself with emoticons in his thoughtless lost plot posts.

(I realize how perfectly suited that pic is for the quote that is featured above it, but what's even better is I didn't even have to make it.  How great is the Internet?)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Did you make that just for me?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS