Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hello, Mises Community!

This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400
NonAntiAnarchist Posted: Tue, Apr 17 2012 2:59 PM

At last, my long awaited introduction post appears.. 

Okay, just kidding. Anyway, I've been a member and reader of the site for a long time (since 2008), and while you may have seen a post or two from me, it's only now that I've decided I want to be a more active member of the community.

So, about me.. I'm 21, an ancap, and a philosophy major attending school. That's about all that's relevant that I can think of.

So, anybody here want to start a reading group? I have about 50 books from the Mises store, and I've read a total of zero (0). I was thinking Murphy's Lessons for the Young Economist, but am comfortable going at a more advanced text if anybody else is willing.

The End.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 3:39 PM

a reading group is a SOLID idea

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Agreed.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 4:00 PM

I'm just about to finish Human Action. Does anyone want to start Hazlitt's Failure of New Economics with me?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 4:03 PM

totally.  with or without general theory?  i vote with

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 4:06 PM

Do you mean reading general theory alongside in its completion, alongside in the passages that Hazlitt references, or before beginning Hazlitt?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

Gonna make a new thread for this. One sec.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Jargon:
Does anyone want to start Hazlitt's Failure of New Economics with me?

That sounds like a plan- I've been meaning to read Failure of the New Economics. I'm up for it. NonAntiAnarchist has made a thread for organizing reading clubs here. You want to make the thread regarding it?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

^ I may partake, but production theory (Say's Law, etc.) is what I'm weakest on, and I'd want a better grasp of Austrian Theory before I read critiques of other schools of thought.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

If it makes any difference, Keynes attacks Say's Law, rather his interpretation of it, and Hazlitt explains what it is and defends it as well. While Hazlitt attacks Keynes' General Theory, he defends Austrian theories as well.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

That's encouraging. I'll probably join in then.  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS