Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Wittgenstein Tractus discussion group

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840
vive la insurrection Posted: Tue, Apr 17 2012 6:26 PM

Thisthread has been fored because of nonantianarchist's great idea of discussion groups here:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/28878.aspx

Anyway I figured we would go through Tractus point by point - or at least small chunks of relevant section by relevant section.

my thoughts - all advice is more than welcome on how to do something like this

There should be some time limit between new postings of sections to let discussions take place (ex: every two days)

Links and resources should also be provided, when they are applicable

Can anyone think of anything else before I start - how to orginize or discuss this in a forum setting?  I am not here to lecture or anything, as I don't consider myself an expert on Witt

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

I can come up with a breif preliminary outline and some brief preliminary remarks and links in a day before the books points are presented in full - i just need some time to think about it

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

It seems that LW sets the book up in such a way as to refer back to seven main points. Should we set it up so that we read a point every two days and discuss? Of course, not everyone will necessarily hold back for two days before posting (questions or concerns regarding specific points may arise in the interim), but that shouldn't be a problem should it?

For anyone who would like to participate there are free versions of Wittgenstein's Tractatus here (MOBI; I'm reading this one) and here (PDF; with an introduction by Bertrand Russell).

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 6:50 PM

A nicely-arranged "expanding" version of the Tractatus.

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

hould we set it up so that we read a point every two days and discuss

Certain parts have more weight and stress, and the scheme itself is a bit off putting

to go through 1-7 in however many days may not be helpful

it would probably be something like:

1(all of it)

2 - 2.1

2.1 - 2.2

etc

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Wow. That's very nice.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Good call Clayton I'll post that for now.

My guess is this thread should just be a discussion on how to do a decent methodology on this and we can start clean with another thread?

The world is everything that is the case. *

What is the case, the fact, is the existence of atomic facts.

The logical picture of the facts is the thought.

The thought is the significant proposition.

Propositions are truth-functions of elementary propositions.

(An elementary proposition is a truth-function of itself.)

The general form of truth-function is: [ p-bar  xi-bar N( xi-bar )].

This is the general form of proposition.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

So with your idea, we read The world is everything that is the case. for when?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:03 PM

Ah, it's 2.1 where he starts to lose me:

2.1 We make to ourselves pictures of facts.

I thought I knew what he meant by "facts" until I hit this, then it seems that what I was thinking he meant by facts he is describing as "pictures" yet I don't see any justification for this extra level of complexity either prior to 2.1 or within it.

Clayton -

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

OK let's just start this and hope for the best hopefully some "spontanious order" will come out of it

The main outline:

1. The World is all That is the case

2.What is the case - a fact - is the existence of the states of affairs

3. A logical picture of facts is a thought

4. A thought is a proposition with a sense

5. A proposition is a truth function

6.The general form of a truth function is [p, ξ, N(ξ)] This is the general form of a proposition

7.Wherefore one can not speak one must be silent

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

A notice on the general outline - hese propositions are odd and obscure as stand alnones - the rest of the book is required to make sense of them

but here is what the structure is saying:

- what the world is

- what a fact is

-what a thought is

- "the meat" is on propositions is (4, 5, 6)

- The point of the book

It should be striking to the readert hat over half the book deals with propositions

-

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Quick notice on Prop 1.1&1.13. Is this not circular reasoning?

1.1 The world is the totality of facts, not of things.

1.11 The world is determined by the facts, and by these begin all the facts.

1.12 For the totality of facts determines both what is the case, and also all that is not the case.
1.13 The facts in logical space are the world.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 8:12 PM

That Old Guy: The Tractatus is kind of weird - the sub-headings should be understood as "supporting" the higher-level headings. So, 1.1 because 1.13 but not 1.13 because 1.1.

Clayton -

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

OH. I didn't realize that it was a subsection. So 1.1 is title of the proof and 1.13 is the conclusion of said proof?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Right,

it's an outline.  Think

II. W

A.X

1. Y

a. z

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:46 PM

I think 1.13 should be 1.1.3 if you were going to be picky but apparently he just abbreviated it and expected that this should be understood.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:31 PM

This looks very interesting!  I'm in!  When we all finish Tractatus, would it make sense to read Philosophical Investigations afterwards?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:38 PM

Good Idear. I found a review that says that PI basically rebukes Tractatus. If nothing else then it could help to solidify understanding of Tractatus as a critical supplement.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

This looks very interesting!  I'm in!  When we all finish Tractatus, would it make sense to read Philosophical Investigations afterwards?

I was hoping too.  I think it's the more interesting of the two - and it's fun to think about how they relate to each other.  But one thing at a time.  I do think Tractus has to be looked at 1st

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Maybe to help keep focus I / we can just post different sections every few days and use this as the "Meta thread" to provide a link to all of the book and other secondary discussions on the group.

Here is the 1st section:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/28892/465495.aspx#465495

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 1:48 PM

'1.21 Any one can either be the case or not be the case, and everything

else remain the same.'

what does this mean?

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 2:01 PM

I think I can be in on this as well.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

here is Part II:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/28927/466059.aspx#466059

Here is Part I:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/28892.aspx

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

'1.21 Any one can either be the case or not be the case, and everything

else remain the same.'

what does this mean?
I think in 1.2 [=The world divides into facts] he is dividing his "logical space" into what Rusell in the intro "atomic facts". Here he is aying that these atomic facts are independent of each other [meaning there could exist possible concrete universes where any combination of truth or falsity of the atomic facts would be the case].

Here is Russell:
Facts may contain parts which are facts or may contain no such parts; for example: “Socrates was a wise Athenian”, consists of the two facts, “Socrates was wise”, and “Socrates was an Athenian.” A fact which has no parts that are facts is called by Mr. Wittgenstein a Sachverhalt. This is the same thing that he calls an atomic fact. An atomic fact, although it contains no parts that are facts, nevertheless does contain parts.

Also:
A proposition (true or false) asserting an atomic fact is called an atomic proposition. All atomic propositions are logically independent of each other. No atomic proposition implies any other or is inconsistent with any other.

[Technical note: The latter quote of Russell's dicusses atomic propositions, [not atromic facts] and asserts they are independent of each other. But that of course is because the atomic facts themselves are independent of each other, which is what Witt is asserting in 1.21].

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Part III is out:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/28961/466666.aspx#466666

Previous parts

I: http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/28892.aspx

II:  http://mises.org/Community/forums/p/28927/466059.aspx#466059

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS