Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How Can You Drink Non-Organic Milk After Watching this Super Short Video?

rated by 0 users
This post has 64 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Wed, Apr 18 2012 12:03 PM

http://tv.naturalnews.com/v.asp?v=C463AA940B9AEBA5D294F87FF0716579

After you see how many puss cells (same as the zit juice inside our pimples) they allow in pastuerized milk.  Keep in mind the puss is a problem for dairy cows on a factory diet, not a healthy organic diet.  Disgusting.  I don't think I can drink the cheap, crappy, factory non-organic milk anymore.

Do you have a PUStache?  Mmmmmmm

• | Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 205
Points 2,945

Are you a vegan/vegetarian?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 3:35 PM

no.  I just don't like drinking zit juice.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 205
Points 2,945

But you think meat is "cleaner" than milk?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

I only drink RAW milk. Pasteurization kills almost all nutrients AND creates cancer-causing carcinogens.

Natural = GOOD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 5:51 PM

"But you think meat is "cleaner" than milk?"

perhaps.  does it have zit juice on it?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 5:52 PM

"I only drink RAW milk."

raw milk is expensive.  and somewhat harder to get for me.  I want to try it, though.  I agree...its alot healthier for you.  all the probiotics are intact as well as the enzymes that help you digest the lactose.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

raw milk is expensive.

Only b/c of gov regulations.

and somewhat harder to get for me.

If eating healthy LEGALLY is important to you, try moving to New Hampshire. There are NO regulations on health foods here. And the state is by far the healthiest and has the highest IQ.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 31
Points 710

Whole issue of government intervention in standard settings in general and dairy farming in particular, for the figures given that's probably not even one thousandth of one percent of a glass of milk as pus. Not exactly as frightening as made out in the video (which conveniently only works with absolute numbers and not a percentage of the actual content, which even then is just the maximum allowable value and not an analysis of how much is actually in a mililiter of milk on average. Even just a comparison of somatic cell (which can actually be a rather wide variety of cells, not just pus) content per mililiter between cows raised in different environments would have been more informative. Certainly would have filled space better than wearing out the whole "pustache" thing.

Which isn't to say I wouldn't be keen on at least considering alternatives there. I just imagine there being much, much stronger arguments for them than this.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • Only b/c of gov regulations.

No, raw milk is more expensive because it is a much more highly perishable product, and requires higher standards of production and handling to be safe.  It will pretty much forever be more expensive than mass produced pasteurized milk.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

• Only b/c of gov regulations.

No, raw milk is more expensive because it is a much more highly perishable product, and requires higher standards of production and handling to be safe.  It will pretty much forever be more expensive than mass produced pasteurized milk.

??????

Here in NH I get all my milk straight from a farmer down the road. I pay him in FRN's but soon enough I'll start paying him in silver. Raw milk keeps LONGER then unnatural (pasteurized) milk from my experience.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Once again, you're acting like the world outside your immediate surroundings doesn't exist.  "It's true for me, it must be true for everyone!".  Anectodal evidence.  You do realize that people who don't live down the street from a dairy want to drink milk right?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 8:13 PM

LogisticEarth:

You do realize that people who don't live down the street from a dairy want to drink milk right?

You're just making that up. wink

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 170
Points 2,290
Bearchu. replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 8:22 PM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Freedom4Me73986:
Here in NH I get all my milk straight from a farmer down the road.

Farmer?  As in...civ?

LogisticEarth:
You do realize that people who don't live down the street from a dairy want to drink milk right?

Uh...duh!  That's why they're supposed to move to NewHampshireohmyfuckinggodnewhampshirerawmilkistotallylegal.  Or didn't you know that.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 170
Points 2,290
Bearchu. replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 8:26 PM

I always forget IE9 doesnt post. Anyway, yeah I dont drink milk. That is just gross.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

IE is gross.  Are you dialing up into it with a free trial for America Online too?

(If you've ever heard Bert's "friend" Ernie laugh, this is the part where you're supposed to pretend you just heard that sound)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Farmer?  As in...civ?

And.....?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 8:43 PM

F4M:

And.....?

And civilization is evil, or didn't you get the memo?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 9:23 PM

Okay, I hate to rain on everyone's raw-milk parade here, but...

First and foremost, I was extremely disappointed by this video - and this is coming from someone who's sympathetic to the natural-food camp. But IMO the video was very short on substantive criticism and very long on unsubstantiated rhetoric. In all honesty, it seems to me like Mike Adams and the rest of the crew at Natural News think their readers are idiots, based on the content of this video.

Secondly, I think it's intellectually dishonest to refer to leukocytes (white blood cells) as "pus". Yes, they're present in pus (dead), but they're also present throughout the body. Natural News might as well produce a video telling us repeatedly that we're nothing but a bunch of walking pus-sacks.

Thirdly, I made some back-of-the-envelope calculations to find out just how much of a milliliter (mL) of milk would consist of leukocytes, in terms of both volume and mass. Based on this link, I used a cell radius of 10 micrometers, which is a conservative estimate (I can't imagine bovine leukocytes being very different from human leukocytes). 750,000 of such cells would comprise a total volume of about 3.1415927 * 10^9 cubic micrometers. One milliliter is equal to one cubic decimeter, which is equal to 0.001 cubic meters, which is equal to 1.0 * 10^-15 cubic micrometers. The total fraction of one milliliter of milk taken up by these 750,000 cells would then be 0.0031415927, or 0.31415927%.

For mass, since cells are about as dense as water (1 g/mL), I used a leukocyte mass of 4.18879 * 10^-9 grams. 750,000 of the somatic cells would then collectively mass about 0.0031415925 grams. From here I used a density of milk of 1.027 g/mL (1 kg/L is the same as 1 g/mL). The total fraction of the mass of one milliliter of milk taken up by these 750,000 cells would then be 0.0030589995, or 0.30589995%.

So there you have it. Even at the maximum allowable level, less than 1% of milk, in terms of both volume and mass, would be taken up by somatic cells. I wouldn't exactly call that drinking pus. That doesn't even go into the fact that the somatic cell count is typically taken before the milk is processed. The pasteurization process would presumably kill all the leukocytes, if they weren't dead already after milking.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

It tastes good.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
kybern replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:51 PM

There are raw milk vending machines in EU. The NH is right - too much regulations... and not enough demand. At least not enough to tore down oppressive gov. 

And if you think raw milk is expensive, try learning about the damages from pasteaurized and homogenized FDA approved mandated milk, and translate it into hospital bills. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

There are raw milk vending machines in EU. The NH is right - too much regulations... and not enough demand. At least not enough to tore down oppressive gov. 

And if you think raw milk is expensive, try learning about the damages from pasteaurized and homogenized FDAapproved mandated milk, and translate it into hospital bills. 

Yes. Caner/pasteurized milk has way more risks involved then natural raw milk. Almost all cases of milk-related illness come from FDA cancer milk while almost NONE come from natural milk.

NH has no regulations on real milk. Not surprisingly NH is the healthiest state, has the highest average IQ and the lowest rate of autism. Lack of demand is caused by FDA scare tactics and gov-funded junk science.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 7:33 AM

I'm surprised that none of the raw-milk advocates haven't responded to my post.

I'm not saying raw milk is bad. I'm just saying that the case against non-raw milk seems to be overstated by raw-milk advocates. Just for the record, if people want to drink raw milk, that's up to them. I certainly don't think it should be banned.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:03 AM

"Thirdly, I made some back-of-the-envelope calculations to find out just how much of a milliliter (mL) of milk would consist of leukocytes, in terms of both volume and mass. Based on this link, I used a cell radius of 10 micrometers, which is a conservative estimate (I can't imagine bovine leukocytes being very different from human leukocytes). 750,000 of such cells would comprise a total volume of about 3.1415927 * 10^9 cubic micrometers. One milliliter is equal to one cubic decimeter, which is equal to 0.001 cubic meters, which is equal to 1.0 * 10^-15 cubic micrometers. The total fraction of one milliliter of milk taken up by these 750,000 cells would then be 0.0031415927, or 0.31415927%."

180 MILLION pus cells PER GLASS is way too many for me.  Feel free to drink away though. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:15 AM

You realize that whenever you smell poop, poop particles are going into your nose?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:24 AM

@Jargon

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:26 AM

limitgov:
180 MILLION pus cells PER GLASS is way too many for me.  Feel free to drink away though.

You probably have billions of "pus cells" (i.e. leukocytes) in your body right now!

Otherwise, the mass and volume fractions stay the same. Over 99% of the non-raw milk you drink does not contain leukocytes.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 170
Points 2,290
Bearchu. replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:02 AM

Netscape actually... No, lol the only thing I use this computer for is watchseries.eu and cnbc.com (and of course mises). IE8 ran smoother than chrome and firefox for watchseries. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:16 AM

"You probably have billions of "pus cells" (i.e. leukocytes) in your body right now!"

90% (or perhaps even higher) of our cells in our entire body are bacteria.  Only 10% makeup the "human cells".

But even with that....I'm not going to drink 180 million pus cells in my milk.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:21 AM

Do you have a source for that?

Regardless, as much as I think your fear of drinking "pus cells" is silly, as a supporter of free markets I certainly think you should be allowed to drink raw milk instead.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:45 AM

just google:

10 percent bacteria 90 cells

if a little propaganda brings us some more liberty...that's fine with me.  that being said...zit juice in my milk is too disgusting for me to partake in.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:52 AM

That may be all fine and dandy, but keep in perspective you are drinking the milk out of another animal's mammary glands.  Would it make sense for a cow to drink from your mother's breasts?

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:05 AM

limitgov:
if a little propaganda brings us them some more liberty money...that's fine with me.

FTFY

limitgov:
that being said...zit juice in my milk is too disgusting for me to partake in.

Sure, it sounds disgusting when put that way. I think that's the point - to make non-raw milk sound disgusting so that you'll want to drink raw milk instead (which they're invested in). That's why I tried to add a dose of unbiased reality to the picture with my numerical analysis.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:07 AM

Bert:
That may be all fine and dandy, but keep in perspective you are drinking the milk out of another animal's mammary glands.  Would it make sense for a cow to drink from your mother's breasts?

Speaking of which, I wonder how much "zit juice" is in human breast milk.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:19 AM

"That may be all fine and dandy, but keep in perspective you are drinking the milk out of another animal's mammary glands.  Would it make sense for a cow to drink from your mother's breasts?"

Human breast milk is amazing for you.  And yes, it would be amazing for cows too.  But so would raw cow's milk.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:21 AM

"Speaking of which, I wonder how much "zit juice" is in human breast milk."

There are no huge sores and pus next to my wife's boobs...so there's zero pus in my wife's breast milk.  Of course, I don't drink it...my little baby does, though.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:22 AM

Speaking of which, I wonder how much "zit juice" is in human breast milk.

Depends how long and hard you're milking those breasts I suppose.

Human breast milk is amazing for you.  And yes, it would be amazing for cows too.  But so would raw cow's milk.

I guess that went over your head.  How many sane adults still drink their mother's breast milk (or anyone past infancy for that matter)?

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:24 AM

Of course, I don't drink it...my little baby does, though.

You don't drink your wife's, so why drink it from another animal?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:32 AM

Because it tastes good.

Voluntaryism Forum

Page 1 of 2 (65 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS