Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Debate: Stefan Molyneux and Dave Nalle on gov't vs. anarchism - April 25th at LibertyChat.com

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:26 PM

Given the talk of Molyneux and anarchist argument in recent threads (e.g. here and here), I figured people might be interested in this:

Debate:

LibertyChat.com will be hosting a special debate between Stefan Molyneux & Dave Nalle.

Is “government” coercion or cooperation? Stefan & Dave sit down to discuss this and the many issues revolving around Government vs Anarchism.

The audience will be allowed to participate by typing questions in the chat room below the video feeds. It’s free to participate. All you’ll need to do is register at LibertyChat.com and click on the “chat” option at the top of the page to join in.

Debate is April 25th at 9:PM EST

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:28 PM

That looks pretty awesome.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 10:36 PM

There is potential here....

Given the topic, it's funny that the Republican Liberty Caucus seems to mirror the message of Campaign for Liberty, but on a watered down and probably more corrupt level.

C4L's "Mission": "Our mission is to promote and defend the great American principles of individual liberty, constitutional government, sound money, free markets, and a noninterventionist foreign policy, by means of educational and political activity."
What RLC advocates, bolding theirs: "At the Republican Liberty Caucus we believe that less government means more liberty. We advocate the principles of individual rightslimited government, and free enterprise. We work in the Republican Party because we believe it is the best vehicle for bringing about the political changes we want."

In the sense that this may be somewhat of the Molyneux VS RP imagined in the OP's link where I brought up Molyneux, this will be interesting indeed. We should go by the same names if we join the chat there.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

What a shame that it is at 9pm. Europeans miss out as it will be 3am. All future debates should be done at 3pm instead to accommodate the Europeans :D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

There are still people in North America who have day jobs...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Reminder:

This debate will take place tomorrow night.

In about 10 minutes, Tom Woods is taking questions live on the air...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 6:40 PM

Hope to see you guys there in awhile.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:53 PM

OK so the debate starts in 10 minutes.

There are 40 people online and the chat is completely broken.

I'm used to shows with like 10k+ viewers separated into a few chats......this will be interesting indeed.........

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:55 PM

Be there or be square.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 8:00 PM

Dang, I can't register! The website never sends an email with the password! Gaaaah! Anyone here have an extra username?

Solved: Check your spam folder!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 8:02 PM

Check your junk mail, taht's where mine went. Or else use yopmail.com for a disposable email. If you can't figure something out I'll make one for you.

Unfortunately, it's past nine and now not only is the chat broken, but there's no live feed. :(

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Molyneux is there and being a dork as usual.  They're waiting on the other bald guy.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

If anyone wants to chat here on the forum, try clicking on the "live chat" button on the menu bar and use the channel #debate.  I'm curious to see if this works

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Okay folks, if you're late, it's okay...the debate JUST started (technical issues)

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Any recordings available of this yet? I am sure Molyneux will post on his youtube chan eventually.

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 565
PhilipK replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 1:12 PM

If anyone can find a recording I'd be interested as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Hey, anyone who was there for this debate...is this the event were someone mentioned something about the cost of defense being much lower than empire and nation building...?

I think this was it, so it would have been Molyneux, but the specific that I remember had to do with 30 million dollar planes or helicopters being taken out by $25k stinger missiles; evidence that defense doesn't have to entail the kind of military expenditure that the US and other large countries engage in.

I'm almost positive this was it.  Can someone confirm?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 8:48 AM

I tuned out most of what they said :P

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Well it's up now, so you can pay attention this time...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:30 AM

Molyneux had another debate on LibertyChat.  Forgot to mention it.  Sorry.  Easier to get through it this way anyway.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS