Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Left wing parties better for economic growth

rated by 0 users
This post has 324 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Points 5,675

Debating poorly is neither a good nor efficient way to troll us. Might want to change tactics.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 143
Points 2,440

The GDP is an imperfect tool (although not so bad) and can not measure everything. 

The Myth of Japan’s Failure

Much of the story is qualitative rather than quantitative. An example is Japan’s eating-out culture. Tokyo, according to the Michelin Guide, boasts 16 of the world’s top-ranked restaurants, versus a mere 10 for the runner-up, Paris. Similarly Japan as a whole beats France in the Michelin ratings. But how do you express this in G.D.P. terms?
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 143
Points 2,440

Mustang19, I have an explanation about the paper you are referring.

Liberals adhere more easily to new ideas, and that behavior tend to promote progress, and therefore economic growth. Think about religion. Religion tend to advocate status quo, religion is an obstacle to social progress. But ... conservatives are much more likely to be religious, even if IQ/social background is taken into account.
There is nothing to do with "political party".
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Liberals adhere more easily to new ideas, and that behavior tend to promote progress, and therefore economic growth. Think about religion. Religion tend to advocate status quo, religion is an obstacle to social progress. But ... conservatives are much more likely to be religious, even if IQ/social background is taken into account.

There is nothing to do with "political party".

I also had that thought.  "Conservative" parties tend to focus on appealing to Christian social issues and "forget" about economics.  Cities have a greater concentration of academic students and educated work.  I live in the heart of farm country in Ontario, a conservative enclave.  The CP rep in my riding a few years ago, Helena Guergis, was very friendly to me and indicated that she swung more our way than the party.  I almost told her that I'm surprised she doesn't get kicked out of the party.  Lo and behold, 2 years later the CP starts a public smear campaign against her (which ends up being discredited) and kicks her out of caucus...  Yup.  Establishment politics as usual.

There is no party in Canada that has been significant federally (until a few years ago) that is considered "left wing".  The federal Liberal Party, which simply says anything to maximize votes, has about the same record in expenses as a percentage of GDP in the department of finance books over the time since the records started.  The CP tried some ridiculous con job a few years ago where they created a "Long Gun Registry Repeal Act" that said in the first paragraph that it doesn't end the registry.  Yup.  Establishment politics as usual.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 143
Points 2,440

Interesting, thank you for your testimony.

Page 9 of 9 (325 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 | RSS