Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

New Anarchist

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 910
OldBenjaminNOMORE Posted: Wed, Apr 25 2012 11:41 PM

Hello,

I have just finished an argument on facebook that spanned nearly 1000 comments.  It was I against 5 other people who thought I was crazy and out of touch with humanity for supporting free-market anarchism.  

I found them all to be completely absorbed in whatever their society told them.  I made valid arguments that were met with nothing but contempt and simpleminded replies. 

Just saying, i'm glad to be in the company of you all.  I've browsed this site for quite some time, but now I've finally signed up and I 'm here to stay.

I look forward to stimulating conversations with like-minded people. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 12:04 AM

Welcome, and beware the echo-chamber.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 12:18 AM

Welcome, and beware the echo-chamber.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 8:35 AM

Dang. It is an echo chamber!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 8:55 AM

Welcome to the forum, OldBenjaminNOMORE. smiley

OldBenjaminNOMORE:
I found them all to be completely absorbed in whatever their society told them.  I made valid arguments that were met with nothing but contempt and simpleminded replies.

There are at least a few aspects to this. In no particular order:

1. Contempt for what you said because it goes against "common sense", "traditional wisdom", etc. - which is presumed to be good and valid.

2. On the one hand, simpleminded replies could be due to them simply wanting you to shut up and go away.

3. On the other hand, they could be "mantras" that they were repeating to themselves. In that case, they weren't really arguing with you, they were arguing with themselves, trying to dispel the "demons of doubt" from their own minds.

4. Likely there was massive ignorance of even basic logic on their part, which makes it all the more difficult to actually debate them. This ignorance reinforces the above aspects

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 910

That sums it up.  They were all government-sympathists; I couldn't help them understand that I was arguing in defense of them, but they would have nothing but the State run their lives

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 2:38 PM

I wrote this as an introduction to AnCap - I hope you can find it useful: http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/rggzj/i_dont_have_a_very_good_understanding_of_what/c45neru

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS