Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Education Slowdown Threatens U.S.

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 2:51 PM

Subscription block.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 3:43 PM

i work for a public school.  believe me, its on its way out.  they'll be cries of pain as it dies though.  Just ignore them.  One of those cries of pains will be me losing my job, but that's ok.  In the end, it'll be worth it for my young kids.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Fri, Apr 27 2012 12:22 AM

JJ what do you think of Underground History? I tend to give Amazon reviews a good weight, and some of the reviews seemed to have good criticisms of the work. Those criticisms being that he didn't cite sources and drew sweeping conclusions.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yeah that was actually a concern of mine too.  I haven't been through enough of it to give a worthy critique, but my biggest concern would be source citation.  He does make a lot of claims, like:

"In 1882, fifth graders read these authors in their Appleton School Reader: William Shakespeare, Henry Thoreau, George Washington, Sir Walter Scott, Mark Twain, Benjamin Franklin, Oliver Wendell Holmes, John Bunyan, Daniel Webster, Samuel Johnson, Lewis Carroll, Thomas Jefferson, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and others like them."

Which, I suppose something like that would be easy enough to verify, simply by getting ahold of a copy of the school reader.  I mean if you can get that primary source, and all those authors are in there, it's obviously undeniable proof that kids were much better read at much younger ages.  You can also see corrections made to the pre-publication edition, showing the amount of attention to such details.

I can post an update as I get more into it.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS