Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Learning

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 585
samr Posted: Sat, Apr 28 2012 7:49 AM

What do you do when you want to learn about a subject?

suppose, I want to learn about   banking. Where is it good to go, philosophically?

the answer is the real authorities. By how do you fin them? The experts on banking aren't the banks. it's better to read mises than encyclopedias or bank-written information.

How to find the  real authorities on each subjects? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 8:38 AM

"How to find the real authorities on each subjects?"

Need to start at the beginning, i.e epistemology, and thus methodology.

Seeing who has been right often helps. The status quo in the social sciences should also be suspect.

Austrians often have a good grasp on who else from other fields are to be considered 'the authorities'; i.e Benjamin Graham (value style investing) for finance etc.

Thomas szasz  for Psychology... etc.

Or are you looking for experts within certain fields, within Austrian Economics and Libertarianism?

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 585
samr replied on Wed, May 9 2012 1:30 PM

I am going to begin working as a salesperson in a second-hand bookstore. And I am looking for info - how to be a good one.

Also, I want to know how to clean the floor... Something like http://howtowipeyourbutt.com/  for the floor.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Conza88:

"How to find the real authorities on each subjects?"

Need to start at the beginning, i.e epistemology, and thus methodology.

It's funny you mention it. I've been reflecting recently on how my interest in politics led to a much stronger interest in economics/philosophy and how this has led to an interest in epistemology. Each time I change a discipline it feels as if I'm grasping towards a higher truth. So I guess I'm working towards the beginning then.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 2
Points 25

"It is difficult to free people from the chains they so very much revere." -Voltaire

"Government is that great fiction through which everyone seeks to live at the expense of everyone else." -Bastiat

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Nathaniel:

"It is difficult to free people from the chains they so very much revere." -Voltaire

"Government is that great fiction through which everyone seeks to live at the expense of everyone else." -Bastiat

Were you looking for this thread?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 585
samr replied on Fri, May 25 2012 12:10 PM

Just a good encyclopedia for everyday life. And a career encyclopedia, if possible.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS