Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Libertarian-leaning political science graduate/master's programs?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620
shackleford Posted: Sun, Apr 29 2012 5:36 PM

I'm graduating in May with a B.S. Mathematics and Physics Minor. It seems my personal interests lie in politics, economics, government, etc. Of course, I enjoy math and physics, but I'm not sure if I want to pursue math in grad school so I'm looking at the "softer" sciences for grad school.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Welcome back!

Have you seen the relevant threads for this topic?  Check out the "schooling" section here.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

I have not. Thanks for the info. Let me check it out.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 462
Points 9,480
mustang19 replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 7:25 PM

Being surrounded by more people who agree with you should not be a major consideration when looking at programs. But that's just IMHO.

By the way, Akon is a democrat.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

If I'm going to pay for a graduate degree, I don't want to pay for nonsense.

Who's Akon?

With my undergrad degree, I'm also wondering what career I could pursue that would best utilize my technical background and personal interests.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 462
Points 9,480
mustang19 replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 11:45 PM

Second post, look left.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do. As long as you get a degree in a technical field there will always be plenty of employers who will want to read your resume. It's not going to be Large Hardon Collider engineer versus McDonalds. There are plenty of engineering and consulting firms who want mathematicians and MBA managers.

On the other hand, since you said you're interested in politics, why don't you go into the public policy PhD program at Berkeley? They have a lib chapter.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

shackleford:
I'm graduating in May with a B.S. Mathematics and Physics Minor. It seems my personal interests lie in politics, economics, government, etc. Of course, I enjoy math and physics, but I'm not sure if I want to pursue math in grad school so I'm looking at the "softer" sciences for grad school.

Aside from the question of..."why do you want to go to grad school", and "are you sure it's worth it for what you ultimately want to do", check out these, and this...

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 462
Points 9,480
mustang19 replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 2:14 AM

Public policy policy is like that, except with a little less math and a more equal gender ratio.

But hey, like he says, if you're not sure whether you want to do it or not, then don't do it.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS