Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Calling All Austrian Economists!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 415
Ancap89 posted on Sun, Apr 29 2012 6:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently made a post expressing my problems with a decision that I am having to make about whether to join a wealth management firm or not. My friend who owns this firm is...not a huge endorser of gold, but has told me that he will give me two weeks to put together a presentation of some sort which would try to convince him.

Alright, well I already have the basic grasp and understanding of why gold is important, and why it has the role it does.

But this guy is going to want some SERIOUS evidence and, almost as importantly, some really nice ACADEMIC SOURCES!

So all of you Mises people...this is your chance to help me convince a non believer! :) I am asking for your help, which would be of tremendous assistance to me as I appreciate the knowledge and ability to express such knowledge which so many of you posess.

Let's get started with the basic question that I am going to have to pose in this presenation:

"Why should we, as wealth managers and financial advisors, advise our clients to put a portion of their portfolio into gold?"

OK, first off, I understand that gold is not the end all. It is not the answer to everything. Are there other things to invest in that would also protect you from weakening dollars? Yes. But we need to focus here.

Alright, so there's the question which I will need to argue to my friend. I am going to need...

1. Good, concise arguments

2. Tons of both current and historic examples

3. LOADS of academic research/papers/evidence which supports all of this.

4. Literature which I can suggest he read in order to understand these issues in even greater depth.

I don't pretend to be an expert of gold investing, but I do know that I am not absolutely crazy when I voice my support for a type money (gold) that cannot be printed into oblivion, manipulated for political and personal gain (at least not for very long), and is an ACTUAL store of wealth.

Alright...so that's all I have to say right now. I'm going to need all the ammo you guys have available. My abilitiy to present this to him will determine one of the biggest choices I have ever had to make in my life. I'm sorry to sound melodramatic, but it's true.

I really appreciate all of you who take the time to answer all of these questions. I know that it probably can feel redundant, but know that you are helping to do a good thing.

Thank you.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Edwin Vieira, Jr. -  Forgotten role of constitution in monetary law; this details the history of metallic monetary standards in the legal system.

http://hiwaay.net/~becraft/VieraTexasLawReview.pdf

Case Against the FED; how banks inflate.  These will have most of what you need to diminish confidence in paper money and bonds.
http://mises.org/books/fed.pdf

http://mises.org/books/whathasgovernmentdone.pdf

True Purpose of Glass Steagall:
http://mises.org/journals/qjae/pdf/qjae1_1_1.pdf

Interest, Yield curves, term structure of savings - This will demonstrate why firms invest the way they do with interest rate signals they get.  It also explains why banks are doing what they are doing today.  It is kind of ridiculous when you step back and think about it.
http://mises.org/journals/qjae/pdf/qjae13_3_5.pdf

Prices and Knowledge: Why central planning won't work.  Everything the government tries to do is doomed from the get go.
http://emilyskarbek.com/uploads/The_Use_of_Knowledge_in_Society_-_Hayek.pdf

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Mises.org gold resources

Argumentation:Gold

In particular, I'm going to recommend

The Case for Gold

What Has Government Done to Our Money?

Understanding the Dollar Crisis

The Dollar Meltdown

The Real Crash (this doesn't come out for another few weeks, but if you can get ahold of it in time and get him to read it, it may very well be the one thing you need.)

Boombustology

Tom Woods: resources on inflation

List of books on inflation

Literature on Practical Applications of Austrian Economics  (I recommend referring to Schiff, Rogers, and Faber.  There's no way your friend is bigger than these guys.)

Meltdown (tons of great info, easy to follow explanations and examples.  Short, easy read.  Possibly the best introduction to Austrian economics.)

I'll add more as I think of them.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
274 Posts
Points 5,675

JJ: The Human Bibliography

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

Is convincing him that gold is good investment or that gold should be money the determinant of joining his firm?

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 415

I think convincing him that gold is a good insurance policy is my main goal.

I don't know if I will ever be able to convince him that gold is money, and in terms of gold as an investment...I don't even personally really see it as an investment, since I don't intend for the gold to appreciate in value; it merely retains the value.

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 415

JJ,

Thank you so much for this!

Now, while I go about reading all of this, anyone who is willing to spend the time providing some strong yet concise arguments would be prudent to do so within the next week :)

I'm going to be busy reading and writing, but I am also going to need someone to play Devil's Advocate with. I know I can count on you guys! :D

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Ancap89:
I don't even personally really see it as an investment, since I don't intend for the gold to appreciate in value; it merely retains the value.

Bingo.  (although it's possible for it to actually appreciate in value)

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 415

JJ,

Could you send some Academic Papers my way? I need to get into some of the nitty gritty as well.

Thank you!

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 415

Also, any fancy charts and graphs that you could find would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 415

Fancy Charts, Anyone? :D

Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435

I got a chart for ya right here (but I'm not going to tell you want to think of it) :

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 415

Holy Frijoles....

I mean, I was asking for historical charts and the like...but WOW!...This blows my mind.

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 415

Jargon, by the way...

Any way we can confirm these sources? I don't know anything about this SK Options company. I just don't want to believe something before I can verify it.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS