Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** May 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 341 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Jack Roberts:
[Rory Sutherland TEDx talk]

Did anyone else happen to notice,

It was uploaded to the TEDx channel 5 months ago and only has 1,345 views...

It was uploaded to the TEDtalksDirector channel yesterday, and already has 10 times that number.

And you notice something else?...in the original TEDx version, he asks the crowd if anyone has ever heard of Mises.  This was edited out of the main TED channel version.

P.S.

He actually has given a few other talks at various TED events.  He may well actually be the most prolific TED speaker...

TED - July 2009
Life lessons from an ad man

TED - April 2010
Sweat the small stuff

TEDxNewSt - Oct 2010
What is Value?
A Few Lessons Governments Could Learn From Marketers

TEDxWWF - Oct 2011
The New Sweet Spot - And How to Find It

TEDxOxford - Dec 2011
Charitable Yield Management

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, May 6 2012 12:35 AM

Student Claims He Drank Own Urine After Being Forgotten In Holding Cell For 5 Days

This should be headline news across the entire US and even on the international wires. This needs to be turned into a referendum on the Patriot Act/MCA/NDAA. I've had enough of this shit. The cops are absolutely out of control. A person can't hardly sneeze these days without a cop showing up. Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience (no beatings or arrests, thankfully). They're punch-drunk on power because they all know that they basically have a carte-blanche thanks to 9/11. It's just beyond belief.

But even if the guy had died, the most we would have gotten out of the DEA would be "oops, sorry." So, I don't expect this to make any national headlines even though it ought to. Stories like this are just the first few trickles of a tidal wave of police brutality that is coming our way. Grigg has been documenting it for some time and the accounts that he manages to dig up are just as bone-chilling as this. Expect it to get a hundred times worse over the next decade.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Sun, May 6 2012 12:46 AM

@Clayton

Well, I don't know how national it is.  The stories that I linked to I got from the Drudge Report, which is fairly national.  I don't watch the news on TV and I don't really listen to talk radio, so I don't know how national it really is though.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, May 6 2012 1:15 AM

I don't think any of the big cable networks have mentioned it, even thought it's obviously big, big news.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, May 6 2012 3:27 AM

Finally someone made this! (h/t Lew's Political Theater):

And we're supposed to believe that Romney has "just about locked up the nomination" and "Ron Paul should drop out and endorse Romney"? Seriously??

Clayton -

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,310
Heather replied on Sun, May 6 2012 6:50 AM

Love that video, Clayton. :) The difference in size and energy in the crowds between the two candidates is just amazing.

Just based on the beginning clip chosen for this video, Mitt might be one of the least engaging speakers I've heard in a while. It kinda sounds like a 20 slide PowerPoint presentation going on as he painfully tries to connect with everyone. :/

I don't think it's helping his case in connecting with the common people when he talks about Missouri Fox Trotters and dressage horse riding. Those are some of the most expensive horses money can buy and dressage has a strong reputation as being one of the more snooty factions of equestrian sport. 

Besides killing time, don't be surprised if Mitt was just attempting to put the image out like he is another Ronald Reagan rancher type who was well-known for his love of horses. 

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

I find it interesting how the turn out at the rallies does not correlate with the amount of votes. Voting fraud aside, what do you think are the other factors that contribute to this phenomenon? I was thinking that it may be that Ron Paul supporters are more dedicated, while Romney supporters just vote without going to rallies.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sun, May 6 2012 10:37 AM

Maybe the turnouts do correlate with the number of votes it's just not that many people to begin with.  A lot of these cities like College Station, Berkeley, Chino, Urbana, Lawrence, Ithaca etc are small cities, some of them have less than 50,000 total pop.

According to the US Census there are almost 4 million people living in LA (7,000 attended his rally) and 2.1m in Houston (3k attended) Austin has almost 800k (6k attended) San Antonio has 1.3m (3.5k attended) while Philadelphia has 1.5m (4.3k attended.)

It may not be that his supporters aren't voting for him (though perhaps some don't out of principle) it may be that he just doesn't have as many supporters as he would need to be able to secure a Republican nomination much less win a general election.  

According to this NY times delegate count Romney has 847 delegates while RP has 80.  It takes 1144 total delegates to secure the nomination.

So yes, while Romney may not be able to pull a crowd to hear him speak, he seems to be getting more votes overall and thus more delegates.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 767
Points 11,240
Hard Rain replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:00 AM

bloomj31, check out this thread re: Ron Paul's delegate count: http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/29074.aspx

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:45 AM

it may be that Ron Paul supporters are more dedicated, while Romney supporters just vote without going to rallies.

Perhaps but I think the root cause is that Romney supporters have money and friends within the Republican party. They are the Republican establishment.

Romney has 847 delegates while RP has 80

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sun, May 6 2012 12:03 PM

That link doesn't say how many delegates Romney currently has.  Every resource I've been able to find puts him in the mid 800s.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Jack Roberts:
I find it interesting how the turn out at the rallies does not correlate with the amount of votes. Voting fraud aside, what do you think are the other factors that contribute to this phenomenon? I was thinking that it may be that Ron Paul supporters are more dedicated, while Romney supporters just vote without going to rallies.

There's a few theories.  Here's a hit piece from The Washington Times that basically doesn't give one.

Ron Paul himself has offered the notion that a large chunk of his support comes from people who aren't Republicans...meaning they may show up to his rally, but aren't as likely (or comfortable with) showing up and voting in a Republican primary.

I think that's part of it, and I think Patrick McEwen at The Capital Free Press might have another part...

Why large rallies don’t translate into votes for Ron Paul

bloomj31:
That link doesn't say how many delegates Romney currently has.  Every resource I've been able to find puts him in the mid 800s.

...Right...because they make assumptions in Romney's favor.  The whole point of that link is to show the reality.  All of those 800s vs. 80 mainstream resources place delegates in camps based on any number of metrics...mostly just based on the ciruclar logic of Romney's the presumptive nominee because he has so many delegates because he's the presumptive nominee.

For example, they give Romney 50 delegates from Florida...when in reality the last news was that there is a legal proceeding underway to determine if those delegates are to be proportioned or not.  (This was mentioned at that link).  Also pay attention to where the delegates are coming from.  In those "800s" resources, they have him taking a majority or plurality of delegates in a number of states just based on the popular vote...which meant literally NOTHING in the way of delegates.  Some (if not all) of those resources have Romney and Santorum each taking more than 7 delegates (if not 10).  This is impossible, as Ron Paul has already secured at least half of the delegates.

Do you understand how this works?  See, if one person has secured a delegate, it means one less delegate for everyone else.  So if someone made up a count based on nothing other than guessing, and just assumed Romney took a certain number of delegates, but it turns out not all those delegates went to him, then that not only means more delegates for someone else (like Ron Paul), it also means less delegates from Romney.  So, when you subtract delegates from someone like Romney so as to account for the actual Ron Paul delegates, that means Romney's previously mentioned total is too high...and will necessarily be lower.

Get it?  Subtraction!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Tom Woods Talks Economics, Education, Peter Schiff, and More

on The Austrian A/V Club of LvMI of Canada (Mises.ca)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Where are all the "black leaders" now?  Aren't they supposed to be fighting for equal treatment and eliminating racism?  I guess that means racism against blacks.  Any other kind of racism is perfectly fine.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

FAA bullies passenger because he caught a birdstrike on his iPad.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

HOT...

Reality Check: Bound Delegates In The Republican Primary May Not Be Bound After All

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Save Sonny...

(playlist here)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800

Well I guess we'll see what happens.  That delegate map you linked to still has Romney at 700 with Paul only at 150.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Be sure to follow along here.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Here's a great way to make people interested in trying new services that aren't yours...

Facebook Stops Users From Posting ‘Irrelevant Or Inappropriate’ Comments

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Taxes, Busybodies, and Soul-Sucking Bureaucracy: The Real Story of Julia

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

That is fricking awesome.  Good on him for finally pointing that out to a point of ruling.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

In other IP news:

Drew Curtis: How I Beat a Patent Troll

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but the first 5 minutes are great.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, May 7 2012 3:48 AM

LOL, he's finally lost his mind!

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, May 7 2012 1:03 PM

Today's Mises Daily by Doug French is simply superb. It's concise, to the point, and says everything that needs to be said about the insanity of the Conventional Wisdom on investing and retirement in the modern world.

Clayton -

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

It's nice to see the press at least kind of doing their job for once.  And it's kind of funny watching this guy dance.

Like I was saying here, Jake Tapper strikes me as a good one in a crowd of blowhards and panderers.

White House Press Blast Obama's Gay Marrage Position: "Why Not Just Come Out & Say It"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

Massachusetts bans bake sales in public schools

From the article:

Bake sales, the calorie-laden standby cash-strapped classrooms, PTAs and booster clubs rely on, will be outlawed from public schools as of Aug. 1 as part of new no-nonsense nutrition standards, forcing fundraisers back to the blackboard to cook up alternative ways to raise money for kids.

At a minimum, the nosh clampdown targets so-called “competitive” foods — those sold or served during the school day in hallways, cafeterias, stores and vending machines outside the regular lunch program, including bake sales, holiday parties and treats dished out to reward academic achievement. But state officials are pushing schools to expand the ban 24/7 to include evening, weekend and community events such as banquets, door-to-door candy sales and football games.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Mon, May 7 2012 11:08 PM

What the hell is this? I don't get it at all. How does it even help 10:10?

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, May 7 2012 11:46 PM

@Jargon: Saw that a long time back. it's a wonderful illustration of the space-cadet mentality of many in the green movement. These are the descendants of the people who were devout spectators at every heretic-burning in town arranged by one of the Church's inquisitions. They claimed that it was supposed to be satirical and funny in the vein of over-the-top Monty Python humor.

Consider the famous and hilarious "it's only a flesh-wound" knight - it's funny precisely because the knights have no real quarrel, because it pokes fun at the male tendency to minimize serious medical conditions, and so on - there are so many tropes there, it's difficult to list them all. The spurting blood is hilarious because it's so utterly pointless and un-connected with any real issue.

You have to be in a very strange place, mentally, to think it's funny to depict your ideological opponents - actually, not even opponents, just people who aren't very "into" your pet cause - being casually blown to bloody bits for failure to "do something" for your pet cause. I think they didn't care and they just wanted attention at any price and they definitely achieved that goal. But the price they paid was clearly too high, assuming they actually believe in the AGW cause, because they gave out - on a silver platter - a mental health report of your typical AGW fanatic. Disturbing, indeed.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

CIA derails plot with al-Qaida underwear bomb

I think they meant to say "CIA derails plot with CIA underwear bomb"

Iraq: singular ambition

From the article:

Zakia al-Mazouri says she was investigating a story of alleged official corruption in Amarah, southern Iraq, in March when she received a call warning her that three menacing men were looking for her at her hotel. The Kurdish journalist tried to flee town with her three children, but was arrested at an army checkpoint for allegedly distributing anti-government propaganda and counterfeiting money. Several hours of frantic phone calls followed before she was released – only to be detained for another hour at a second checkpoint.

Jailed for four months by Saddam Hussein, Ms Mazouri has grown used to persecution in the course of her work. But now she sees it on the rise again under the administration of Nouri al-Maliki, the Islamist former dissident now serving his second term as prime minister. “This government that came now is not better than the old one,” she says in an interview in the Baghdad office of Journalistic Freedoms Observatory, a campaign group. “There is no real democracy.”

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, May 8 2012 12:25 PM

Wowow! TED just never stops delivering...

Ted-Ed

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Jargon:
What the hell is this? I don't get it at all. How does it even help 10:10?

Glad to see at least someone visits the supporting links I provide wink

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, May 8 2012 1:33 PM

Doesn't matter to anyone else, but after nearly 4 years with Regal Cinemas (4 years end of June) I put in my two weeks and gave away the rest of my shifts for an exciting new job at PetSmart (my enthusiasm has lifted), but nonetheless a movie theater of our size (16 auditoriums) proved a nice way to view human action, and after some time I began to hate people.  Now my new job currently rests on my drug test which I assume I shall pass since I have not smoked in months.  If I fail, I'll be really surprised, then I guess I'll play guitar at the Ocean Front for money.  Either way I'm going to go celebrate.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Page 3 of 9 (342 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS