Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** May 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 341 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, May 10 2012 12:09 AM

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Ron Paul even more articulate than usual on money and banking:

(bonus props for Subjective Theory of Value at 4:21)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Clayton:
[Penn fought the law]

You didn't happen to catch that through this process...did you?...

LewRockwell.com > "They Can Do Almost Anything" > (The rest of the article) > comment #4?  Because that's how I just found it. :)

(Also, I didn't realize LRC reprinted from Eric Peter's Autos when I recommended it here.  Bonus!)

P.S.

Everyone, read that article.  I was going to post it here anyway.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, May 10 2012 4:03 PM

@JJ: yep, that's exactly how I found it... lol

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Thu, May 10 2012 4:53 PM

Honestly, I like Adam...

but this was stupid.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

I'm all for growing big beards and everything, but Adam needs to keep that shit trim.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I'm sure I heard these figures before, but still.  Awesome...

Again, hard not to like this guy:

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Good ones to pass on, with all the recent talk of gay marriage...

Doug Stanhope on Marriage

Ron Paul on Gay Marriage: None of the State's Business

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, May 10 2012 6:54 PM

Who are you and what have you done with Wheylous?

Muahahaha! You must pay me five pounds of 24 karat gold to get him back!

In other words, I have exams.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I just find it curious that you would be so idiotically presumptuous in the first place (pretty uncharacteristic of you), but even more so that you would actually question me about "what's wrong with people not paying taxes"...when it was I who (as you said) helped lead you to your current position on the subject.  It was barely 9 months ago that you were arguing that tax deductions and exemptions (which you called "loopholes") should be eliminated.

How quickly we forget.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, May 10 2012 7:51 PM

There he goes again...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, May 10 2012 7:52 PM

I remember it quite well. That's why I was wondering why you'd post something like that. That's also why I said "I assume"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Awww come on Clay-clay.

It's all out of love.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Wheylous:
That's why I was wondering why you'd post something like that.

Well if you'd watch the video (or at least the first 24 seconds), you'd have your answer wink

That's also why I said "I assume"

...we all know what they say about what happens when you do thaaaat.  Not to mention, that begs the question...if you remember that conversation so well, why in the world would you assume I would have a problem with people not paying taxes??

What kind of sense does that make?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

Wheylous:
That's also why I said "I assume"

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Thu, May 10 2012 9:46 PM

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, May 10 2012 10:46 PM

How was that audio collected??!?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, May 10 2012 11:01 PM

Obviously the guy was smart enough to have a recording device on his person and to activate it.  I want to know how the uploader got ahold of it.

:EDIT:

The uploader posted a comment:

"It was sent to me with no claims about being the people who made it. I researched every detail and tried to contact the victims. I wrote to the mall where they said that they were visiting. I wrote to the Border Police and visited their web page. I was ignored; which is very significant, because that means that they made no denials."

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Fri, May 11 2012 6:47 AM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Fri, May 11 2012 4:33 PM

Is anyone else getting this weird display bug where there will be huge gaps in between posts for no apparent reason?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, May 11 2012 4:49 PM

My friends and I when a government program is cut:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, May 11 2012 4:53 PM

@blookj: Yeah, the Forum's gone retarded again.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, May 11 2012 5:17 PM

I'm not a rebellious teen, imo, but I found this relevant:

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I thought I was the only one. Will it be fixed soon?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, May 11 2012 6:04 PM

Scary to conteplate:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Sat, May 12 2012 12:34 AM

bloomj31:

Is anyone else getting this weird display bug where there will be huge gaps in between posts for no apparent reason?

Yes.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

So apparently there's a French site called "Bastiat2012.fr" (I hope they've reserved another domain to transfer to next year).  Looks pretty good, especially since there doesn't seem to be a French Mises Institute (check out Mises Global for a list of foreign sites)

What If…?

This beautiful video, inspired by Ron Paul’s famous “What If” speech and video, is in French, but it’s still worth watching even if you don’t speak French. Click the CC button on the YouTube screen and get decent English subtitles. The CC button may be available only if you watch on YouTube itself.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

via TomWoods.com:

A $10,000 Prize You Could Actually Win

My friend Ron Unz recently launched Unz.org, a site with so many valuable resources I can hardly believe it. It is a researcher’s dream. In addition to much else, you’ll find the entire print run of countless periodicals, some mainstream and some more obscure. You’ll find radical left, radical right, Establishment stuff, you name it. You are a grownup, so you can handle this. None of the material is being endorsed. It is being provided as a service to you and to curious people everywhere.

To generate interest in the site, Ron is offering a $10,000 prize for the most interesting historical discovery uncovered via the use of the material there. Click here for details on the competition.

Good luck!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Tom Woods Should Have His Head Examined

Writes Kenn Williamson:

Liberty Classroom fills a desperate need in history teaching.  Anyone who wants to learn the true story of American and world history should sign up immediately.  The price is a steal.  Tom Woods and company should have their heads examined for practically giving away college-level lectures on real history.

Chad Nelson writes, in an email titled “So pleased…”:

…and I’m only two lectures into the early  colonial history of the US.  I signed up because of my affinity for Dr. Woods, and was lukewarm to hearing the other professors.  Not because I doubted their abilities–just because I love and know Woods and his work.  By the time I heard McClanahan’s first two lectures, I was wishing he’d just do the whole course he was so good!  Love the guy already!  Great presentation and such a deep knowledge base and understanding of the subject matter.  I am so excited to rip through these courses it’s not even funny.

Have a look at our samples, and join us!

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

What is going on with all the empty space on this thread ?

That border crossing audio. Why do police think that they can give orders to people and they have to obey. Where does that come from? It comes from the military, where they have to follow orders. If a police officer ever commands me to do some thing i will remind him that I am not in the military and I do not have to obey orders. I bet that will go down well. But they are known to charge people with resisting arrest or obstruction of justice (haha) for not following orders. I also find it interesting that trying to resist police brutality is assault. Always that way, you touch a police officer in the wrong way you get a GBH conviction. They taze you and almost kill you and then they get a promotion.

But that is the wrong way to handle a border crossing. That guy just generally sounds stressed. The reply that they don't know which shops they are going to visit is a reasonable answer to the quesiton, which shops are you going to. But he just got upset because he questioned the question.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, May 12 2012 12:39 PM

It comes from the military,

Yes! American culture has become suffused with military worship. The History channel is almost nothing but. They have their own dedicated Military channel and dedicated programs on many other channels, such as Discovery. They have infiltrated consumer culture at every level. Our police look like them. Our schools are modeled on them. Our political leaders never cease speaking of their virtues. Our churches pray for them and are filled with the wives left behind by them.

The left keeps complaining about "corporatism" - they just don't get it. Corporate life is modeled on military life (in particular, the officers' ranks). The primary measure of your success is how many "heads" you have under you. The martial virtues are supreme. Looking like you are in the military helps: a good crew-cut with that constipated, "I just ran 5 miles, took two showers and it's still only 5am"-look. Walking like you're in the military - very fast - is crucial. The faster you walk all the time, the more important you must be. Making sure that people see you "volunteering" and "giving to the community" as well as putting your immense discipline on display by running marathons or racing bicycles and putting the trophies on your desk are all-important.

Yet the left - with the exception of a few, principled groups like CodePink, antiwar.com, Democracy Now! etc. - worships the military along with everybody else. They love the idea of a regimented society. The military is the ultimate centrally-planned society (actually, to be precise, prison is even more centrally-planned). Requisitions officers make sure food and materials are procured, logistics officers make sure it is transported to the places it is needed, and on time. And so on. A place for everything and everything in its place. That's what society would be if we just made the whole society a military. Imagine how wonderful that would be. It would be like one of those Coke commercials where everybody just dances in their choreographed steps all day and we would all just have happy, fulfilling lives.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sat, May 12 2012 1:03 PM

I don't really watch TV but I don't see all these military values in Atlanta's culture.  Didn't see them in Miami's culture either.  Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Book on the facts of Fast and Furious

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Not joking: Government Issues Study of a Study About Studies

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Wow.  PJTV really surprised me...

I really wasn't expecting this.

Page 5 of 9 (342 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS