Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** May 2012 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 341 Replies | 14 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 99
Points 1,690
Greg replied on Sat, May 12 2012 6:22 PM

I just wanted to say thanks for posting that audio of the two Canadians being harrassed Finest, put this on the youtube comments but that is OMG crazy shit, was almost waiting to hear fucking execution shots- feel like I gotta apologize for these damn tyrants and I live in Missouri, lol.

edit: Ive heard the term but "Ronulan Invasion" just cracks me up, this lurker appreciates the vid posts guys!

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design." - F.A. Hayek
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Sat, May 12 2012 8:40 PM

@ Greg: Glad we can all help, if you find any interesting vids yourself don't be afraid to post them.

Canada doesn't fuck around with their commercials

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

a) Notice how they quickly started making the people come back to life

b) I'm glad they're at least using a three-pronged blame game that includes the person involved.  I guarantee you would not see that in an American version.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Sat, May 12 2012 8:54 PM

The first PSA was the most disturbing for me. The second one made me chuckle for some reason.

OMG I think Ron Paul should be credited for the killing of Osama right guys?!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 435

Found this awesome parody of the Toby Keith song 'Made In America'.

The Isolationist/Protectionist Song by Morrakiu.

Edit: Thanks JJ.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, May 13 2012 2:34 PM

Apparently the forum gods did not like my avatar. What's funny is that I tried changing it six months ago and it wouldn't let me.

*sigh

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,956
Points 56,800
bloomj31 replied on Sun, May 13 2012 2:54 PM

A fun opinion piece: Capitalists and Other Psychopaths

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

A good example of spontaneous order:

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Sun, May 13 2012 11:44 PM

Clayton:

Apparently the forum gods did not like my avatar. What's funny is that I tried changing it six months ago and it wouldn't let me.

*sigh

I'm not a god and I didn't change your avatar... oh wait, maybe you referring to Telligent.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Mon, May 14 2012 8:45 AM

The Economics of Dr. Seuss' The Lorax

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,965

The Federal Reserve maintains a police force ?

http://www.frbsf.org/careers/police-academy.html

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You may remember various examples of how this is probably the tool-iest show on television, such as:

"Of Course We're Falling All Over Ourselves": MSM Gush Over Obama's Jimmy Fallon Skit

&

MSNBC Panel Mocks Catholics: Contraception "Like Water" To Them

Well they've outdone themselves again.

MSNBC Panel on Hillary: "She Is So Baller"--"Smartest Human Being Walking The Earth"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Entertaining interview in which a young ReasonTV correspondant interviews a typical "government should provide xyz" statist. 

I can't figure out if this was the plan, or if this girl wasn't expecting so much Leftist demagoguery ended up having to pull out that smile a lot more often than she thought she would.

Sex Politics and the GOP as We Know It: An Interview with Nancy Cohen

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 565
PhilipK replied on Mon, May 14 2012 9:11 PM

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, May 15 2012 12:28 PM

Visual Thesaurus

Pretty damn cool.

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,920
TheFinest replied on Tue, May 15 2012 12:38 PM

I find the refusal by politicians to acknowledge that legalizing all drugs would get them out of the messes like this amusing at best. You want no more drug cartels? Think about economics for a second you big dummies.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

jeezus christ

New Jersey town fines pedestrians for texting while walking

And a nice addition to the story:

"New York State Senator Carl Kruger has attempted to bring a similar ban to New York, which would also prohibit talking or using iPods while walking or running"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Man Loses $22,000 In New 'Policing For Profit' Case

If something happens to the video, here's the source link.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 565
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 565
PhilipK replied on Wed, May 16 2012 9:23 AM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:48 AM

PhilipK:

Kind of insane.  I can't imagine how pissed off people in places like Japan get upon hearing crap like that.

PhilipK:
Euro time lapse

Thanks for sharing that before it was (so quickly) taken down.  (f-ing IP nonsense.)  Luckily I grabbed both versions before they disappeared.  If they don't pop back up somewhere and someone wants to see them, lemme know and I'll put them somewhere.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Make sure your water is safe.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Anyone want to take a shot at this fool?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Hehe

How the EPJ Word Gets Out

A bank employee, who is a subscriber to the EPJ Daily Alert, was explaining to her boss about the EPJ view and how the business cycle is dependent on what the Federal Reserve does as far as money printing and that there was one big splurge of money printing, 20% plus, at the end of last year and that it had slowed to 6% since, which is why we now have a sluggish economy, after the earlier boom.

Not quite enough of a slowdown in money printing to crash the economy, but enough to make it sluggish.

Her boss responded, "Economists most of the time don't know what they are talking about." She then walked into a meeting with him where he repeated to the group verbatim what she had just told him about the economy.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 5,635
yessir replied on Thu, May 17 2012 10:26 AM

"By denying consistent behaviour Mr. Armstrong no doubt makes the theory more realistic, but at the same time he destroys much of its usefulnes"

How would you make the tradeoff between realism and usefulness? Or wait, how can something be less realistic but more useful.....

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:39 PM

How Stone Age Man Invented the Art of Raving

This picture of ancient British bacchanalia has been created by researchers led by Professor Alasdair Whittle of Cardiff University and Dr Alex Bayliss of English Heritage. Using a revolutionary technique for dating ancient remains, they have built up a detailed chronology of the first farmers' arrival in Britain and have shown that agriculture spread with dramatic rapidity. In its wake, profound social changes gripped the country, culminating in the construction of causewayed enclosures where chieftains or priests held revelries to help establish their power bases.

Until recently, archaeologists had an imprecise knowledge of the timing of agriculture's arrival in Britain. "We knew the first long-barrow chambers, often used for communal burials, and the first causewayed enclosures appeared not long after the first farmers started taking over the land from existing hunter-gatherer tribes," said Bayliss. "But we thought these processes took hundreds of years. In fact, they took about a tenth of that. Armed with this precise sequence, we can understand the social and political revolution that happened with agriculture's arrival."

[...]

The first farmers arrived in Britain from France and appeared in Kent around 4050BC. At first, agriculture spread very slowly — by 3900BC farming had only reached the Cotswolds. Then it went through a period of explosive growth. Within 50 years it had spread across almost all of mainland Britain, reaching as far as Aberdeen. "Presumably a critical mass of farming folk had arrived in Britain while our native hunter-gatherers had seen the game was up and turned to agriculture and a sedentary way of life," said Whittle.

Maybe F4M needs to take a look at this.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Thu, May 17 2012 12:51 PM

Bert:
Maybe F4M needs to take a look at this.

Oh you mean the anti-technology guy who just went on the Internet and posted a video about the latest water filtration machine?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/comment/comment/why-dont-we-start-privatising-the-police-7762761.html

I would not have believed it if i did not see it. Today in the Evening Standard which is the free newspaper that everyone in London UK reads on the way home. An article by Tim Evans from the Adam Smith Institute on privatizing the police.

Context: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/blog/2012/may/10/public-sector-pensions-strikes-and-police-protest-live

Public sector police are resisting cuts, one set of departments that are extra difficult to reduce, due to the sheer power of the entities.

How is it even possible to cut the likes of the Home Office or DHS. They are powerful entities that practically manipulate the government and legislator to their own advantage.

One sign says "cuts are criminal" how do you even deal with public sector workers who have this sort of mentality?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Thu, May 17 2012 4:08 PM

Oh you mean the anti-technology guy who just went on the Internet and posted a video about the latest water filtration machine?

For the sake of not watching his videos I don't plan to watch that video, but I see it's Alex Jones, the same guy who water boarded iPad's, so I'm starting to get mixed messages with what's going on here.  Water board the iPad's to make a point, BUT MAKE SURE IT'S CLEAN FILTERED WATER.  How you going to hunt and gather while dragging one of those units around?

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Oh don't get me wrong...I didn't watch the video.  I was just assuming the title and the freeze frame were accurate representations of the content.

As to your question, I'm still trying to figure out how one is supposed to hunt and gather without technology.  Especially when one has an apparent biological need to go on the Internet and tell people about it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Thu, May 17 2012 5:50 PM

BIG NEWS:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/05/17/The-Vetting-Barack-Obama-Literary-Agent-1991-Born-in-Kenya-Raised-Indonesia-Hawaii

New evidence suggests Obama born in Kenya

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yeah...check out the other piece of interesting info in the update...

Hilarious

Breitbart.com discovers a 1991 promotional brochure from Obama's literary agents in which his bio starts like this:

Barack Obama, the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review, was born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii....

The site disclaims "birtherism," but does note that the Obama identity has been carefully constructed, sometimes in different ways, and needs to be explored.

UPDATE from a friend in the know:

The bio is interesting for another, even more important reason: It mentions his employment with Business International Corporation, a known CIA front organization.

I need a new headline for this post: "Obama Born in Kenya? Who knows? Obama a CIA operative like his mother? Definitely."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I think we've found out how Jan Helfeld is getting all these interviews...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:34 AM

Well, here's a little good news...

Reality Check: Judge Strikes Down Indefinite Detention In NDAA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Fri, May 18 2012 10:59 AM

Really interesting info that also provides nice real-life support for how economics really works...

Rules of Trading in a POW Camp

Page 6 of 9 (342 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS