Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Need Advice about Public Policy PhD programs

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 75
AtlantaIconoclast Posted: Wed, May 2 2012 10:45 PM

I am considering transferring from a Poli Sci PhD program to a Public Policy program cause the former is way too distant from real world policy debates. I like theory, but would like to study applied politics as well.   Does anyone know if Libertarians have a place in Public Policy PhD programs?

I like the idea of teaching future policy makers, and sharing free market principles along with the standard fare, and also think research highlighting market and community based rather than federal govt based solutions to common societal probles would be interesting to pursue.   

I have limited options in terms of where I can go to school, as I am partnered, so my question is really about Public Policy programs in general.  Thanks! 

Any information that can be shared would be most appreciated!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

To answer your question, basically no.

If you're truly interested in liberty, I would stay away from public policy.  Gary North actually had an excellent piece on this just last week.  Not to mention, as a libertarian, there are more effective things you could be doing than essentially validating State intervention in the lives of individuals.  But then again, maybe there is a path there that I don't know about.

For schooling resources, see the schooling section here.

Walter Block tends to encourage students to become "professional libertarians" by pursuing a career in academia, which it sounds like you wish to do.  I would email him.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 75
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

See the "blank posts" section here.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 75

Thanks John,

Would you please send Walter  Block's email to me?  I don't have outlook express on my computer and have never understood how to set it up. thanks!

sshhi2001@yahoo.com

David

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 75

wblock@loyno.edu  is Walter Block's email for those like me without Outlook Express. Thanks again John!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You don't need Outlook.  Just right-click on that hyperlink and say "copy email address".  That will get it on your clipboard.  Then you paste it in your email message.

Or just grab it from here.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 75

Thanks again John. Good man.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 75

John, I just read the piece by North, and think he is actually saying that academic studies is preferrable to think tanks that try to implement policy.  I imagine he would prefer libertarians infiltrate political science, than public policy, but from my experience, that field does not tolerate people who seem to actually care about sentimental concepts like liberty.  Because Public Policy programs appreciate concern for policy outcomes, I wonder if libertarians might be wiser to head to them. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS